Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 355

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Pulled the trigger online on used, cheap copies of Spawn Book 1 & 2, from the old volumes started in the 90s (2nd printing). Already had Book 3 (1st printing) from a Half Price Books.

I don't mind used books & don't care about owning the whole run, so it's a fine way to own Spawn #1-15 in print. (Well, minus #10, the Cerebus issue, which they left out, but I already own that issue alone.)

Also bought the Satan Wars trade, from when Erik Larsen wrote & drew Spawn w/ co-writing & inks from Todd McFarlane. Love Larsen's current illustration style but hate the content of Savage Dragon, but I've looked through those Spawn issues, & they're pretty dope from what I've seen.

Looking forward to reading that Image goodness in the coming weeks.

Kingjohn_654 and Vivatoto like this.
  2. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I haven’t had a chance to read Silk yet unfortunately.

3. CobraKidJon

I’ve been seeing some panels from Cosmic Ghost Rider destroys Marvel History and it looked super fun and I managed to snag the last copy of both the 1st and 2nd issue and I’m hyped to read it later tonight.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Don't know anything about Savage Dragon but what don't you like?

5. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Please report back.

6. Kingjohn_654

I'm pretty much addicted to halfpricebooks right now

Tim likes this.
  7. Tim

Can't comment on the whole run, but what I've seen from recent years is a bit... Needlessly trashy. Weird sex stuff left & right, at least once from what I saw kinda rape-y, just super exploitative in a weirdly flippant & childish manner. It's a bummer 'cause his cartooning has grown a ton, imo; it's a lot looser, w/ some Miller & Kirby vibes.

I'd love to see Erik Larsen do something new & less indulgent w/ his current style. But for now, his Spawn collaboration w/ Todd McFarlane (which was apparently a bit contentious) is the closest I have.

HPB rules.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  8. Kingjohn_654

Spider-Girl: the complete collection vol 2 comes out in August. I'm so excited! Mayday Parker is such a great combination of Peter and MJ.

9. CobraKidJon

I just realized I know nothing about marvel history so I am not understanding anything going on lmao.

it’s a pretty fun read though and I didn’t realize Paul Scheer wrote comics.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  10. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Lady Killer is great. Joëlle Jones is the best. Her Catwoman run better last..

11. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I've only really read Captain Marvel comics recently. After taking a break from Spider-Man comics for a few months, I think I'm going to get back to them and resume the order Marvel posted on their site year-by-year. It'll take me forever to actually get through, but I seem to only read comics in chunks now that I'm not running a Spider-Man site.

12. Vivatoto

Jordie Bellaire's Buffy reboot has been great so far and they surprise launched an Angel series today which made the already great experience of comic book shopping that much sweeter today.

AP_Punk likes this.
  13. BackyardHero11

Trusted

The Batman Who Laughs comics has been wild. really loving this series. Read Detective 1000 last night. I think Kevin Smith and James Tynion's were my favorites, but overall really great collection. Caught up on monthlies, now to decide what to read next on DCU.

Vivatoto likes this.
  14. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Little Bird by Darcy Van Poelgeest is shaping up to be a pretty stunning series. It's a five-issue run but won't be released in trade paperback anytime soon, so grab the first and second issues if you haven't yet!

Vivatoto likes this.
  15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I always forget it exists and get so fucking excited when I see there are new issues. Such a fun book.

Vivatoto likes this.
  16. Tim

Jason Aaron & Al Ewing are cowriting a new Valkyrie series spinning out of War of the Realms, starring Jane Foster.

Dig it. Jane Foster as Thor ruled, but I don't think you could have two "Thors" longterm the way you could have, say, multiple Spider-Men. That was a very specific, finite story. But, I don't think the character of Jane Foster as depicted in that story needs to be finite. So, tying her into the Valkyrie is a great idea.

17. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

18. Dodge725

Trusted

I know it has gotten a lot of flack, but I really enjoyed the Knightmares arc in Batman. 68 was super fun with Lois and Selina, but still insightful into Bruce. 69 was a perfect end and I like the return to Bane story and Bruce admitting some guilt for the Wedding. I think it’s really pointing to him learning he has to grow and learn to love to prove his father wrong and be different than him which is gonna make a great 3rd act for the run.

Vivatoto likes this.
  19. Vivatoto

I also loved it, I just wish I would have been more prepared for it, which could have entirely been my fault for just not paying attention to future releases. Leaving us like 6 issues with the cliffhanger is reminiscent to Bruce popping the question during the War of Jokes and Riddles, which was fine then but I felt better prepared for it. It also came at a bad time with the HoC crossovers in there too. I think it will read best as a graphic novel. As much as I enjoyed it I'm ready for the next step.

The Prof Pig issue was up there with best of the series.

20. Tim

Spider-Man: Life Story #2 was cool. Already, just two issues in, they're going in some weird, neat directions. Still very indebted to Spidey's history, but greatly remixed. With a decade between each issue, that's just gonna keep escalating, which will be interesting to see.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  21. Tim

Came across a couple really cool little fan film adaptations of comic PSAs from Neil Gaiman's Death (both also featuring Constantine). The one is from the "Death Talks About Life" safe sex pamphlet, & the other is about suicide awareness.

Man, I wish we'd just get a dang Death movie already, like was being developed at one point like a decade ago.

22. BackyardHero11

Trusted

had no idea this arc has been getting flack, I've been loving it.

23. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I haven't really bothered with the older Buffy titles but man the new series is so much fun.

Vivatoto likes this.
  24. Kingjohn_654

25. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

@Tim Are we still doing a further reading for Endgame?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.