Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 351

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I was looking at the may comic list for marvel and geeeeez War Of The Realm's is really going to be massive. I don't even know if I want to dig in.

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

A220746B-CDC1-4E88-BE81-D5214B381B9B.jpeg

I really love Laura.

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

She gets better and better as the book goes on. Such a solid main character. Not sure I can call anyone in that book a protagonist. lol

Tim likes this.
  4. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Old Man Hawkeye is goooooooooood

Vivatoto likes this.
  5. CobraKidJon

just making sure my pull list for next month is good and it looked like I’m just adding Magnificent Miss Marvel and Spider-Man: A City At War. My pull list is getting big but thankfully Killmonger ends next month and A City At War is a quick series.

6. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

The new Black Widow series is crazy dark. Loving it

7. Tim

8. Tim

Finished Mister Miracle.

The more I read Tom King, the more I feel like his strength isn't necessarily being this fantastic writer or whatever. He's good, & he has moments where he just nails something. But, what he is great at is imitating people who are great (Alan Moore being the most obvious), collaborating with great artists, having a strong understanding of Marvel & DC history... and then, through all of that, pouring his own personal experiences onto his pages.

And, that concoction, that alchemy, just happens to consistently produce fantastic comic book work.

Mister Miracle is this particularly poignant example of that. It feels like his biggest swing towards a prestigious masterpiece; I believe he's said he wanted to make his Watchmen or New Frontier, knowing that he probably couldn't but had to try. And, there are small moments here & there where you could argue he's trying a tad too hard. Lots of ambition. But, for the most part, dang it does it work.

As is often the case for King's work, the artist plays a huge part. I adore what Mitch Gerads is doing here. I already loved his storytelling (while not loving every illustration of his), but this is something pretty special. I love what he does with his coloring and various digital effects. I really love his looser cartooning & the way he uses repeating panels in the 9-panel grids in this sorta classic comic strip kinda way. And then, when the story needs to go grounded, I love how he illustrates a very human Scott Free. It's such a visually compelling book.

There's more I could say about reading this story this weekend, but won't. All I'll say is, I loved it, & if you're on the fence about checking it out, just check it out already.

Kingjohn_654 and Henry like this.
  10. CobraKidJon

that reminds me of my friend suggesting checking out this comic store somewhere in town. I check it out and it’s mostly older comics. I told him “hey man thanks for the rec, but it’s mostly older stuff so I can’t really get into it.”

He replies back saying something about that the old stuff is good and the new comics are sell outs and social justice blah blah blah. He’s also a die hard Venom fan but hates any new Venom.

11. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Ah. I'm so sick of dudes with that take. And I love old comics as much as new ones. Marvel's had some really great character writing in their more diverse stuff.

It reminds me of all the headlines when Zdarsky's Jughead was revealed to be asexual. There was lots of hateful stuff online about it. When I got around to reading it, I was surprised to see that it was one panel and they never mentioned it again.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make, but im glad comics are continuing their tradition of trying new things.

12. Tim

So... Captain Marvel Further Reading recommendations... Who'd like to contribute?

Sorry I'm doing this last minute again, lol. Hopefully this one happens, unlike Aquaman.

Obviously recommending Kelly Sue's run. Also probably Life of Captain Marvel by Margaret Stohl? Maybe The Ultimates by Al Ewing, the one w/ Carol, Black Panther, Monica Rambeau, & America Chavez? Open to whatever else.

As always, down to include something creator-owned. Kelly Sue's Bitch Planet is the first thing that comes to mind, but maybe there's some other deep cut we'd wanna include instead.

13. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I thought Life of Captain Marvel was really good but I'm not good at writing lol

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I think her run in Guardians could be good. It definitely makes it easy to relate her to a product people already know.

15. Tim

I mean, you don't necessarily have to be good at writing to participate. We've had everything from two-paragraph mini-reviews (from one particular user, lol; you know who you are) to just a quick couple sentences saying what it's about.

Just saying. No pressure.

Maybe. I did like that Carol-centric annual that I think Kevin Maguire drew. The one that ended with Groot hugging her.

Would you want to contribute? :chin: lol.

16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I'm up for doing one. I think the ones you mentioned are all on Unlimited, so I can reread Kelly Sue's run or read one of the others.

17. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I can give it a go then!

Tim likes this.
  18. CobraKidJon

I went my local shop today to see if my issue of Ironheart #3 came in. It’s been shorted out for a while now and they still haven’t got it yet so that was a bummer.

I decided to see what came in this week and I mentioned if they had the reprint of Young Justice #1. The guy said they didn’t get the issue in but he proceeded to give me his personal copy of the cover that I didn’t manage to get when it first came out. I geeked out so much.

of course I had to buy it but still that cover looks so beautiful and it’s a great meme.

Attached Files:

19. Tim

Forgot to reply to you. Let's plan on you doing Kelly Sue's run. The first collection goes through issue 12 of her first volume (the 2012 one), so maybe plan on that?

20. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

it’s weird seeing a dc character as your avatar

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  21. Tim

I mean, Kirby created Mister Miracle, so he's basically a Marvel character. ;-)

dadbolt and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  22. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Cool, I’ll go through it this weekend!

23. Joel Gustafson

A glass can only spill what it contains

Word on the street is that West Coast Avengers is getting cancelled and I'm furious.

24. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Ugh. That blows. I'm really enjoying the fun chaos of WCA.

25. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Currently reading through the Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide saga. I know it wasn't for everyone, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.