Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 345

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'm definitely going to read more down the road, whether it be getting the trades or, if none of the issues become hard to find, getting them when they end up in like dollar back issue boxes or whatever. Captain America is a really cool character when done well, and Ta-Nehisi Coates is the perfect writer for the character right now. From what I read so far, he's taking the interesting potential of Nick Spencer's lame run and making it actually work.

It's just... Monthly comics are financially impractical, and I need to make rules for myself, lol.

RyanPm40 and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  2. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

i need to get back into reading more comics. my secret santa from work got me a cool book "MotorCrush" that i hadn't heard of. i like it!
    i'm gonna re-commit to reading through the entirety of the Amazing Spider-Man TPB run. from the early aught J.Michael Stracynsky run through wherever they're at now.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  3. Tim

I still gotta read Motor Crush. Babs Tarr is one of my favorite artists. She and the rest of that creative team did some good Batgirl work before creating that series.

From what I recall, the JMS ASM has some high highs... and, some low lows, lol.

Aregala likes this.
  4. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

One More Day........................... Joe Quesada why............................

Tim likes this.
  5. AndrewSoup

yeah, the artwork in it is really great.
    from years before, i have the first two JMS books, and then i have a half dozen from Dan Slott starting with Big Time all the way through Flying Blind and i remember stopping cuz i couldn't find Spider-Island fuckin anywhere

also, very annoyed by how many issues Humberto Ramos is the artist for. i just absolutely cannot STAND his artwork. it bothers me so much.

Tim and Aregala like this.
  6. Tim

I'm just glad Peter & MJ are a couple again, even if they're probably never gonna let them get married again (even though they have Miles to fill that "young Spider-Man" void). I'm not following ASM, but I do like that the current run opened with them getting back together.

Anyone who wishes they were still married who didn't read Renew Your Vows, should read Renew Your Vows. Delightful alternate reality series.

AndrewSoup likes this.
  7. Tim

Yeah, I hate Ramos, lol. When they relaunched ASM last year, I was so bummed that one of the two artists on the title is, yet again, Ramos.

While "One More Day" is bad, the Brand New Day era of ASM right afterwards is good. If there have to be modern Spider-Man comics where they aren't a couple, at least those ones have some great art by Marcos Martin, Chris Bachalo, John Romita Jr, etc.

8. AndrewSoup

yay!! i've got a decade+ of Spidey stories to catch up on tho, i'll get there eventually, lol.
    think i might skip Brand New Day/One More Day in my reading....

OH and i forgot i picked up Sex Criminals vol 1 a lil while ago!! it was hidden underneath some other books/movies on my dresser, haha.

9. Tim

This far removed from One More Day, I don't think I'd recommend skipping Brand New Day. If we begrudgingly accept that the status quo from then on is Peter & MJ not married, the comics under the Brand New Day banner are actually some of the better modern ASM stories. I certainly prefer it to Big Time, which I've personally mostly skipped. Spider-Island, etc., just doesn't interest me much. *shrug*

Superior Spider-Man, Spider-Verse, and Worldwide was all cool, though. As much as I think Slott was on ASM longer than he should've been, I do like the big swings that came from writing the same character for so long. Now that we have more traditional Spider-Man stories, that Superior-Worldwide era is a fun change of pace to have in the Spider-Man library.

10. AndrewSoup

pun intended

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  11. GBlades

Trusted

Just completed a full re-read of Saga. Fuck.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  12. GBlades

Trusted

The only thing DC really has is Comixology. I agree with the recs previously anyway.

Aregala likes this.
  13. BackyardHero11 Jan 10, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 11, 2019)
    BackyardHero11

Trusted

Welcome! yeah I just saw an article that DC has joined Comixology Unlimited so you should see more DC titles as part of that. I've always enjoyed the CU sub, pretty affordable and have gotten a lot out of it. DC Universe also has a bunch of great comics to read, admittedly not as much as I'd like, but it's there.

Aregala likes this.
  14. EarlyMorningRiser

Keep on the sunny side.

I’ve read so many trades (Marvel, DC, Image, etc) for free on the library app Hoopla. I highly recommend checking to see if your local library has it. I went a few towns over to get this and I love it.

BackyardHero11 and Colby Searcy like this.
  15. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Hoopla is great! Overdrive/Libby is starting to get a decent amount too

EarlyMorningRiser likes this.
  16. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Been away from comics for a spell but I’ve jumped back in recently.

Die 1 and Blackbird 1 were great. Especially Die.

xapplexpiex and Vivatoto like this.
  17. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Loving Die, issue 2 was great too, seems like it's going to be a lot of fun.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  18. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I’m waiting for that to drop to 1.99 on comiXology. Can’t wait.

19. Colby Searcy

Did y'all do a RIYL Aquaman movie?

20. Tim

We talked about it... kinda last minute, and then the holidays hit, lol. I think one person messaged me?

If anyone wanted to know what to read, I think I'd just say the obvious: Geoff Johns' run. Though, I think a few other good options would've been included had it materialized. For an indie spotlight (which we've started including for most Further Reading posts now), I was gonna say something about Snyder & Murphy's The Wake.

21. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Here's what I wrote...Also the Wake was exactly what I was thinking too lol

A few years ago, the Rebirth era of DC comics began. Most of the big comics were given fresh starting points, a new creative team, and some sort of change in the status quo. Aquaman took a little bit longer to catch up, after a year of fairly mediocre stories the series found new life by taking everything away from the increasingly regal Aquaman and sending him to the darkest pits of Atlantis. “Arthur Curry is dead” is the very first line of this book, spoken by one of the series many villains as he sits on the throne of Atlantis. It's immediately clear where the series' transformation takes its inspiration from, Game of Thrones is written all over this series, this is definitely the most I've seen the Aquaman books take a look at the high fantasy world of Atlantis and its politics. Betrayal, new love, surprise murders, all that fun stuff. Above all else, the main reason I would recommend this book is that it's drawn by someone who became my favorite artist after reading this series. Stjepan Sejic completely reinvented this book, giving the best underwater visuals I've ever seen and the work he does on his characters' faces is breathtaking. Sadly this storyline does last longer than his tenure on the series and the Civil War plot never quite reached the heights of this first book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401275427/?tag=absolutepunk-20

Tim likes this.
  22. Tim

This old video spotlights an awesome sale that my local shop chain holds twice a year. Love going through all these dollar comics, y'all. Actually missed the last sale, and am pumped to go in a couple weeks to the next one. Already got a huge note on my phone of stuff to look for; more than anything, hope to make another dent in my Milestone hunt.

23. Colby Searcy

Was gonna see what else others thought were good that wasn't Johns run.

I've heard good stuff about Ostrander and personally enjoyed all of the N52 run even after Johns left

24. Tim

That @Vivatoto post above is recommending a Rebirth volume that Stjepan Sejic drew, which I own but haven't read but looks awesome.

I don't know if anyone in this thread has actually read it, but the old Peter David run is supposed to be really good.

Forget if you're a single issues guy or just trades, but Kelly Sue DeConnick just took over the Aquaman series, and it looks super cool. Love her writing.

Maybe @scottlechowicz could mention something else? I tend to defer to him on anything DC pre-New 52, lol.

25. Colby Searcy

I'm up for whatever I can get my hands on legally tbh. But lately I've just been more into novels and video games

scottlechowicz likes this.