Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 338

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Good stuff!

2. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

A friend lent me Superior Foes of Spider-Man. I am stoked!

3. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

xapplexpiex likes this.
  4. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

going to head to comic store today before work to try and pick up Marvel Action Spider-Man, Spider-Girls and Ghost Spider.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Just read the wedding trade. King is such a delight to read. The issue about the Joker was wonderful.

Read through War Thor. Really enjoyed that arc. Excited to read the end of the run next week.

Vivatoto likes this.
  6. CobraKidJon

this store didn’t have the Marvel Action Spider-Man which is pretty lame but eh I managed to grab the other two and of course it started raining like crazy and the guy didn’t give me a bag. DAMN.

7. I tried to use this CLZ Comic app to scan in some old comic books ... and ... it would only be correct on maybe 1 out of 5 tries. It's pretty garbage. Is there any other app people like for keeping track of what you have?

8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'm curious how this series is gonna feel. Chip is typically known for his humor, but Marvel Two-in-One was a lot more character-driven and not particularly jokey. I could see him getting a chance to really shine here.

xapplexpiex and fluxyjoe like this.
  9. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Issue 4 of Spider-geddon got crazy!

Now moving on to the other tie-in titles. Took a while for this event storyline to take off but it's enjoyable overall.

10. Dog with a Blog

Hey y’all, hoping to get some advice if possible. I tutor a 7 year old kid and I want to get him a comicbook, but I know next to next to nothing and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of something that would be both enjoyable and appropriate for someone in that age range? Batman is his favorite superhero so that would be preferred, but I know he likes the Marvel characters as well so that works too.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  11. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

2763235B-9DFC-4447-A747-9F7C63261DED.png
    Maybe this. It’s new stories from the creators of the animated series. If the kid isn’t yours, idk if you should give them DC books besides this. They’re “edgy” with lots of violence and occasional swearing. This should be relatively safe, but idk for sure.

12. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

So I just finished reading Spider-Man Torment. The art was obviously gorgeous. I really liked the pacing, everything felt like it was happening so fast!
    It is pretty obvious that this was McFarlane's first time writing anything so I totally get the criticism it generally receives. The conclusion was unsatisfying, but it seems like the story was really just there to give Todd cool things to draw.

Is the rest of his Spider-Man run any good? I believe there's two more trades of him doing both script and pencils.

13. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

@Tim

Tim likes this.
  14. Tim

The rest is more of the same, from what I recall. Don't remember the back half of the run as well. I know the next couple issues feature Ghost Rider & Hobgoblin, and McFarlane's monstrous Hobgoblin is probably my favorite look for the character. I owned one or both of those issues as a kid and, as a child in the 90s, thought it was just the coolest. And then, I also owned the crossover w/ Liefeld's X-Force, which I also loved as a kid. One of the arcs I don't really remember, I know had Wolverine, so I'm sure that's cool in that early 90s way, too.

None of what followed was as good as Torment, from what I remember. The way McFarlane played with pacing and tension in that arc was so cool. The rest doesn't have that to quite the same extent, and has the same 90s corny edginess to it.

So, you know what you're getting into, lol. Due to a mix of nostalgia and genuinely thinking McFarlane is a compelling comics illustrator, I consider myself a fan and love the omnibus of the run I own. But, it's very of its era, with a certain edge and silliness. If you like it enough, read the rest, and also go back to the Amazing Spider-Man material he illustrated for David Michelinie (including Venom's origin in #300); I own that omnibus, too. If it's not your favorite, it's not a bad idea for Torment to be your one McFarlane collection that you can revisit when in the right mood.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  15. Tim

zigbigwig, xapplexpiex and fluxyjoe like this.
  16. CobraKidJon

no comics for me this week but I got all the Spider-Man comics next week.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The current Vampirella run is one of the most confusing books I've ever read. I kinda hate it.

18. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Prodigy and Die both had really good starts. Doomsday Clock this week was something else.

19. Tim

This series looks like it's gonna be great. Could end up even better than Chip's Spectacular.

Deanna likes this.
  20. CobraKidJon

21. Very excited for that one.

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

BKV signed a three year deal to adapt his books with Legendary

Kingjohn_654 and dadbolt like this.
  23. Tim

Oh, cool.

I know people love Saga, but I'd be a lot more interested in seeing Paper Girls adapted. I own but haven't yet read both Private Eye & Barrier, but since those are self contained, maybe they'd make cool movies, too.

EarlyMorningRiser likes this.
  24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

My mind went to Pride of Baghdad right away

25. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Is anyone else reading Blackbird? Really enjoying it so far