Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 331

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Sheriff of Babylon (which I haven't read) was written by Tom King, one of my favorite writers right now. He was in Iraq w/ the CIA, which influences some of his work. He wrote a few series (including Sheriff, which is the most overtly about his experience) on that theme of good intentions, getting in over your head, and it falling apart.

The other two, Vision & The Omega Men, are fantastic.

Vivatoto, xapplexpiex and Wharf Rat like this.
  2. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

add mister miracle to that list bud

Vivatoto likes this.
  3. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ll come up with a couple and send them to you soon

4. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

I think I read a few issues of his FF that were recommended either as precursor or complement to the Avengers runs but not the whole thing. i'll put it on the list

Tim likes this.
  5. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

He also wrote Grayson. Dick becomes a secret agent for an organization after he fakes his death during Forever Evil. It’s really good.

Vivatoto likes this.
  6. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

That and Batman are part of a different theme, based on his nervous breakdown in 2016. Sheriff, Vision, & Omega Men is his "trilogy" based on his time in the CIA.

Grayson's kind of a different beast, since he cowrote it. But what I read of it was cool.

Vivatoto and xapplexpiex like this.
  7. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

yes this dude was just an amazing owner and so friendly. I had just asked about whatever miles stuff they had and he went into full details about everything and any other suggestions and it was nice.

even if comics are still confusing to me.

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Grayson was cool. I've never read a Nightwing book, but I loved that

Vivatoto and xapplexpiex like this.
  9. Vivatoto Oct 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 13, 2018)
    Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

The people at my shop are super nice. One of the reasons I love picking up on Wednesday.

And the managers pick is always something I’m already getting so we have similar taste.

10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The shops near me are all a little right wing nutty so I don't buy singles anymore.

11. Dodge725

Trusted

Grayson is one of the most underrated comics of the New 52. A lot of people dismissed it because they thought it was silly/not creative to make him a secret agent, but it really was fantastic and got to the core of what makes Dick a great character. Cannot recommend that book enough.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  12. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I agree. My only criticism is I wish it didn’t tie into Court of Owls as much.

13. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

Not a fan of the Owls/Snyder’s Batman or just wish it was it’s own thing?

knowing that the Owls are in there makes me want to read it

14. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

CoO is one of my favorite Batman stories. But I do wish it was it’s own thing. Nightwing’s ties to the court play a big role in Grayson, but I won’t say much more.

dadbolt likes this.
  15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

God Country got picked up by Legendary.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  16. Vivatoto

Just finished Y the Last Man. Loved it.

17. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

How did you like the ending?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  18. EarlyMorningRiser

Keep on the sunny side.

I’m currently reading, and loving, Hellboy and Monstress. Do you all have any must reads for Halloween time?

19. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Wytches and Nailbiter

EarlyMorningRiser, DeRRek and dadbolt like this.
  20. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Is there a support group for people who just finished reading Ultimate Spider-Man #160?

Also, I feel like Bendis uses the word "bedlam" a lot.

21. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I’ll be there soon brother.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  22. DeRRek

Trusted

Got my Transformers: All hail Megatron sleeve started yesterday. Love how it turned out. Sunstreaker the first added.

Attached Files:

Henry likes this.
  23. Vivatoto

I thought it was great, and a lot was riding on that because endings are make or break for me, I look forward to them the entire series even when I should probably be enjoying the ride, and most importantly I'm as into Saga and Paper Girls as it gets so I was really hoping to see if BKV is a writer who can land the ending. I did have a moment of 'well that's not very satisfying' as Dr M explained the cloning and everything, but then Yorick echoes my thoughts a few pages later and I felt better once it sat with me. I did love all the red herrings like the amulet and the engagement ring. Where I thought it concluded perfectly was in the final big character moments. 355's final issue was brutal, along with Ampersand's death which I can not get out of my head, that was especially brutal.

Kingjohn_654, dadbolt and xapplexpiex like this.
  24. Vivatoto

Infidel came out on trade recently and it's the absolute best.

EarlyMorningRiser likes this.
  25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Loved Infidel. Read it on my way to NYCC and fauned about it to the author. He was so happy to hear it. lol