Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 327

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I was hoping to check that out too, mainly to se how much stuff they had on there but it’s only for the US :tear:

2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Ah that’s a bummer. My guess is they’ll license out the original shows and back catalog to other streaming services outside of the US. Probably a better way for them to monetize those, but sucks for anyone who also wanted the comics aspect of the app.

3. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Hopefully it’s just that they’re seeing how it goes in the us before rolling out elsewhere but I fear you may be right. I was looking forward to being able to delve into the dc world a bit more without spending a fortune.

4. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see what they end up doing. The comics selection is okay at beat so far. Some titles only have 1 issue right now, which isn’t super helpful.

ugman_2000 likes this.
  5. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Any must read Captain Marvel's? I've only really seen her in events.

6. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Deconnick’s run is amazing. These books combine both her series.
    A522B5AB-0C16-4754-8090-2F0155116F86.png

Vivatoto likes this.
  7. GBlades

Trusted

Kelly Sue Deconnick's run is vital to her character. Probably Captain Marvel at her peak.

8. Vivatoto

Love Deconnick so that's perfect.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  9. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Kelly Sue's run isn't the best Captain Marvel run...

Oops, I meant "isn't just the best." It's straight up the only run as far as I'm concerned. Read her complete run & that's it.

(Though the current Life of Captain Marvel miniseries does look good. I'll get that trade for sure.)

GBlades and xapplexpiex like this.
  10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I haven't really liked anything outside that run tbh

11. Tim

I'm not gonna read it 'cause I've grown to dislike Brian Azzarello (see: his handling of Batgirl in animated Killing Joke & the Amazons in New 52 WW). But, I'm so fascinated by this silly controversy around the initial print run of Batman: Damned #1 making Bruce's penis visible. Like, we're talking about a comic that proves it's "mature" by using bad words and Joker-izing a Jesus statue (*yawn*). But, people can't handle a couple shadowy, non-sexual shots of Batman's circumcised dong in a medium that regularly treats women as sexy props. It's all so funny and dumb.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  12. Tim

Anyways, did anyone read Return of Wolverine #1?

I'm trade-waiting it, as I do with most miniseries, but a Wolverine story illustrated by Steve McNiven and Declan Shalvey sounds fantastic. Charles Soule did a decent job w/ Death of Wolverine until that abrupt, unsatisfying final issue, so I'm hoping he does the return right.

13. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

considering trying return of wolverine just for giggles, but i do find soules' work to be pretty uneven besides that dope lando comic he did.

i did read the new mister miracle and that book continues to be perfect. it's themes of depression and family struggles hit too close to home sometimes but im thankful as hell to have that book. tom and mitch are probably my favorite creative team out there rn. anyone have any insight into the end of issue 11? i was admittedly a little lost the last two pages lol

Vivatoto likes this.
  14. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

The New 52 Wonder Woman run is my favorite series for her, but I can see your criticism.

15. Tim

I loved it outside of Orion when I first read it, but I honestly don't think I could revisit it. I feel like Cliff Chiang's fantastic art and some cool world building (like the reimagining of Ares) distracted everyone from Azzarello's awful handling of the Amazons. Like, a major central theme of the series was the reveal that they were actually misandrists who shipped off their men into slavery, lol. Between that and the characterization of Orion... Plus, the awful Batgirl stuff he put in the animated Killing Joke... Just yikes all around.

16. Vivatoto

That issue was insane. gotta love a full on darkseid battle...as for my guess as to what the end means, the full page was the current continuity DC Universe, which we always knew this was outside of in some way. There's been a lot of speculation from day one this is a fever dream or something he's seeing when he attempted to kill himself at the beginning. He found love and family etc, but if it was all in his mind then he's going to have to do it all over again. It all goes back to "escaping death"

17. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I've been playing Spider-Man game a lot and basically I fell in love with Miles Morales from that and the movie trailers. I decided to use that Marvel Unlimited subscription that came with it. I'm pretty excited to start actually reading comics for the first time.

basically if any series on there that I should read besides most of the Spider-Man stuff let me know.

Kingjohn_654, Vivatoto and zigbigwig like this.
  18. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

anyone planning to get Crisis? I’m torn between waiting for the trade or getting it now. But def getting it for sure.

Vivatoto likes this.
  19. Vivatoto

I’ll definitely be picking it up Wednesday

zigbigwig likes this.
  20. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

are you picky when choosing covers? Trying to figure out which one I like the most.

21. Vivatoto

I haven’t looked at them yet. Probably a good chance my store won’t have many variants so I’ll wait to see what they have

22. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

What is everyone picking up this week? Marvel has 7 Spider-Man/Venom titles out this week so I'll be pretty swamped with those.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

xapplexpiex and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  24. Tim

They're always dropping those prices, often on trades w/ great variant covers, but usually they're for comics I already have.

I did order recently to take advantage of a 70% off sale for "damaged" books, though, & got They're Not Like Us while I was at it. (I'm literally to the point where Bellaire colors alone can make me check something out.)

25. Tim

Speaking of comics this week... Heroes in Crisis #1!

I didn't put it on my pull 'cause I usually trade-wait Tom King, and I have a busy week this week. But, if my shop has copies next time I go in, I might say screw it & pick it up. Hopefully it feels more like a King comic & less like one of those crap Identity Crisis/Civil War event comics.