Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 324

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. BackyardHero11

Trusted

the regular Jughead series that pairs with Waid's run? or The Hunger. I haven't read The Hunger yet. I've read some of the regular Jughead series and from what I understand they kind of did a soft reboot with issue 8 or 9? whenever they introduced Sabrina into his series and that stuff was great.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  3. I got the first trade of Paper Girls in the mail yesterday. I don't really know anything about it other than people seem to like it a lot, haha. Excited to start!

BackyardHero11 and Henry like this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates continues to be really good.

Part of me thinks doubling down so hard on continuing where Secret Empire left off is a bad idea, especially after the Waid/Samnee filler issues gave the character a nice reset. However, the rest of me is excited that Coates is able to take the good premise from Nick Spencer's failed story and reframe it as an actual compelling look at Cap in today's America. I can't wait to see the places he takes this character.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  5. BackyardHero11

Trusted

6. Tyler

Regular Supporter

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  7. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I read the first 2 or 3 issues. It was fine. Just didn’t really grab me.

But it’s worth a flier if it looks cool to you. The talent involved is good.

8. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

9. BackyardHero11

Trusted

ooo so it's not still ongoing? that actually entices me to read it more. I enjoy knowing there's an end in site haha

10. Tim

Cool. More creator-owned stuff should do this. Image schedules annoy me as much as Marvel & DC sometimes. I don't mind a small break occasionally (like one month between arcs), but if you can't stay reasonably close to monthly, just do OGNs.

11. Tim

Also, lol:

12. BackyardHero11

Trusted

honestly, monthly titles is just something I've kind of accepted as being a thing, but if all of a sudden it was like, nope, just releasing full arcs in a collection instead of monthly, I wouldn't be mad at all. I prefer reading that way personally.

13. Tim

I do really like monthly comics. The key word, though, is monthly. Marvel often releases 18 issues a year per series, DC releases 24, and Image releases 8. How many months are in a year? 12, right? lol.

The monthly format is a product of decades ago, when comics were considered disposable entertainment. I don't think they should still be considered disposable, but I think a principle still applies there. Some comics' creative visions aren't gonna fit that model, and I think that's fine.

(Granted, I don't know the economic side of Image floppies. But with companies that live off OGNs, I gotta think it's doable.)

14. BackyardHero11

Trusted

yeah these weekly and bi weekly ones have gotta go. it's too much, too difficult to try and keep up both in reading and financially. I totally support monthly formats to continue, it has it's place and is great. I personally just find myself leaning more on waiting for a trade. though tell that to my backlog of trades as well haha

15. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

FB_IMG_1533432886692.jpg

zigbigwig likes this.
  16. Tim

Fantastic Four #1, out today, is good.

Some people are gonna complain about where in the issue Reed & Sue show up, but y'know what? I think it was a pretty perfect first issue of this run. Dan Slott of Silver Surfer & Sara Pichelli of Miles Morales Spider-Man is the right team for this relaunch.

If you're missed Marvel's First Family, check it out. Though, if you've missed 'em, you also should've been reading Zdarsky's Marvel 2-in-1.

17. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Bump.

What's everyone reading?

18. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I reading the Generation Gone trade right now. It’s...idk

19. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Pearl seems like it's going to be good. I'm really excited for all this Jinx world stuff.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  20. EarlyMorningRiser

Keep on the sunny side.

I drove 3 towns over today to get a library card in a city that gives library cards to any Texas resident...just so I could get the Hoopla app to start reading more DC and Image for free.

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I loved it

22. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

That’s dedication

23. I bought Pearl solely for the Citizen Wayne story at the end, and I was pleasantly surprised. While everyone seems to be extremely hot or cold on Bendis, I think he's doing fine with both Superman titles so far. Are there any other books of his that have a feel like Pearl?

Vivatoto likes this.
  24. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I had no idea about the Citizen Wayne story and was very pleasantly surprised. The only thing I've read from Bendis is the entirety of Ultimate Spiderman and all of his Jessica Jones work. And I'll be keeping up with everything DC and probably start doing a deep dive on some of his older stuff. Pearl has the same team as Alias (Jessica Jones) so there's definitely an Alias feel to it, although this looks like it will lean a bit more on the action then noir style detecting. I'd reccomend checking out his Alias series if you like Pearl though, it's tremendous.

fluxyjoe likes this.
  25. Tim

I adore Bendis at his best, but he definitely lives or dies based on how well the main character(s) work with his specific voice, and also how strong the art is. If either of those aren't working well enough (or if you just don't personally care for highly decompressed plots), he's gonna lose you.

I haven't checked out Pearl yet (will probably wait for the trade), but if you liked it, I'm guessing the best places to go next with him are:

-Alias/Jessica Jones (You can also throw in The Pulse, which came after Alias, but I didn't think it was very good. The third trade of that series got close, though, and has the birth of her daughter, so you could just read that one between Alias & JJ.)
    -Scarlet, which is getting a third arc soon
    -Daredevil
    -Defenders

fluxyjoe likes this.