Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 308

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Okay new West Coast Avengers looks awesome and I’m so there for it. Fucking love the roster, and Hawkeye and Hawkeye written by Thompson is more than welcome.

Kingjohn_654 and Tim like this.
  2. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Divided States of Hysteria

3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Ah, yes. Howard Chaykin is such a lame edgy butt head, lol.

dadbolt likes this.
  4. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I got an autograph from him on my American Flagg! trade last year. He said some really awful stuff in a conversation with me.

5. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I read a little bit out of curiosity. Everything else aside I think he probably has the ugliest art I've seen. He had a story in one of those Superman specials recently too and it wasn't good.

6. Tim

Busy weekends recently, but forced myself to make time for 3 Rivers Con today. Gotta support a local con that actually prioritizes comic creators, even if/especially since it's a pretty small con in its 3rd year.

Main reason I went was to meet Amy Chu, since I loved her Poison Ivy miniseries. Really cool person. Bought the first volume of her Red Sonja for her to sign. Too last minute to get commissions, but I bought an issue of Untold Tales of Spider-Man for Pat Olliffe to sign, and also got a couple small sketches Robert Hack had for a decent price:

71FC230A-343E-4491-8C2C-3878FD00EDC9.jpeg

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I always go out of my way to talk to Amy Chu. Adore her.

Kingjohn_654, Colby Searcy and Tim like this.
  8. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I think she may have been at my LCS a while back but can't remember.

I did find out recently that Terry Moore is local

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  9. Tim

Saw an incredibly wrong take in the Comic Lovers Facebook group some of us are in, and had to share it here so that @Jason Tate could feel how I feel:

E9247F14-E7E4-4B7E-8449-06BEB1770A96.jpeg

10. Colby Searcy May 22, 2018
    (Last edited: May 22, 2018)
    Colby Searcy

Looks like Mark Waid is signing again at my LCS tomorrow. Don't think I'll go this time since I went last time but I like that we're getting relatively big name people

Kingjohn_654 and GettingSodas like this.
  11. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

Wow that’s awesome

Kingjohn_654 and Colby Searcy like this.
  12. Tim

Waid was at 3 Rivers Con last year, but I wasn't able to make it. Would've loved to have him sign Kingdom Come, Black Widow, and/or his under appreciated, too short lived Avengers material with Mike Del Mundo.

Kingjohn_654 and GettingSodas like this.
  13. Colby Searcy

received_10156436008928629.jpeg

This is what I got signed last time

Kingjohn_654, GettingSodas and Tim like this.
  14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This dude says dumb shit ALL THE TIME.

Kingjohn_654 and Tim like this.
  15. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

16. Tim

I asked him to recommend literally anything without Deadpool (Infidel was his pick), both as a joke ('cause Deadpool and meta and such, y'know) and as a way to recommend something good outside of the Big 2.

I'm thinking about including one creator-owned trade that's tonally and/or thematically related to each film's "Further Reading" going forward, though. Would be a nice, organic way to expand what we expose people to.

Kingjohn_654 and dadbolt like this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Ant-Man > The Fix

dadbolt likes this.
  18. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

oooohhh i like that idea...i'm already trying to think of something that would work with ant-man haha

19. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

nm i see henry has it covered

20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

we could always do a few

dadbolt likes this.
  21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Also, I'll totally do a write-up for Future Foundation.

22. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

haha it's all good, and that's actually a really good choice. i never read past the first trade of that but i thought that book was hilarious. i need to check out the rest.

23. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Jeeeez. Character progression is so much interesting than constant reverting back to a status quo. Everytime something like that happens I drop all interest in the character. Just recent examples:

- Cap Falcon back to regular Falcon.
    - All New Wolverine back to X-23
    - Anti-hero Super-Luthor back to villain Luthor

Although in fairness we have yet to see how those last two play out, neither seems all that interesting to me. But you can bet your ass it’ll be only a year or so before Infamous Iron-Doom is back to straight up villain.

Plus look how fucking great the reception has been to Superdad and the resurrection of that marriage. I mean I guess they tried to capture that with Renew Your Vows, but come on that was just an effort to shut up that part of the fan base.

GettingSodas likes this.
  24. Tim

Listing this next to Spencer's Ant-Man series would definitely be a smart choice. My own personal bias against Spencer is hard to ignore, lol, but fans of the Ant-Man films would certainly dig that.

"I'll totally do a write-up" is such a great lie. But, yeah, Fraction & Allred's FF is a required inclusion for sure.

I wish companies were more willing to embrace multiple characters with the same mantle at the same time. DC has a long history of that, and Marvel seemed to be moving towards that in recent years, but both have chickened out in instances that really bum me out. (I'm specifically thinking of Sam Wilson as Captain America and Dick Grayson as Batman.)

You can't have two or more series of every mantle for business reasons, but man, some of these mantles can certainly handle it. And, you could always congregate multiple legacy characters into a single team book. Seems like Champions is gonna do that to some extent going forward. You could also launch a new "New Avengers" book where Sam as Captain America leads a mix of other legacy characters and non-MCU Avengers fan favorites.

(I will say, as someone who read all of All-New Wolverine in spite of its often mediocre art, that I'm fine with Laura's series taking on the name X-23 again. David Lopez made her look so cool in that Wolverine costume at the beginning, but I think it works for the character to not have that mask. Plus, Tom Taylor did a good job, but I can have zero negative thoughts about Mariko Tamaki taking over. I actually kinda wanna see her write Logan's inevitable Wolverine series, but I have a feeling Charles Soule is getting that one, lol, which is fine.)

Anyways, yeah, Superman as a dad in main DC continuity, plus the quality of Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows across all three writers thus far, should put to rest any and all concerns that a married father Peter wouldn't work. Let him grow up a little, and then let Miles fill the classic kid against the world void.

scottlechowicz and dadbolt like this.
  25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

:teethsmile: