Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 290

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Finished Silver Surfer and cried a great deal.

Tim and scottlechowicz like this.
  2. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I just got to Aquaman 25. Wow. The jump in quality for that book from one issue to the next is staggering. The new artist is incredible. It just goes to show what a difference a quality artist can make.

I can’t wait to keep reading.

Vivatoto likes this.
  3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Sejic is incredible. I'll read anything with his name on it. His run on Rat Queens was great and Sunstone is such great slice of life/bondage.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  4. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

That arc was so ridiculously good, I was wondering if you'd gotten there yet. They also switched to monthly which was a great choice. They are keeping the same style, but they have a new artist who isn't AS good.

5. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I wasn’t familiar with his work until that issue. It’s incredible. Does he color his work as well? I forgot to look in the credits. Because the colors are also top notch.

6. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Ah. That’s disappointing. But I suppose I’ll see what the new artist brings to the table when I get there.

Monthly is definitely the way to go, though. The 24 issues leading up to this were...not the best. Which is why this issue was so jarring.

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

He does all of the coloring. His stuff varies greatly depending on how important it is. I think since this is a huge production, he went all out.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I should be doing homework, but I really just want to read Sunstone now. lol

[​IMG]

SpyKi likes this.
  9. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Yeah. I just bought the first volume of that haha.

10. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Holy crap. Matt Fraction's Hawkeye is great!

Tim and Henry like this.
  11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

YES. My favorite issue of comics ever.

[​IMG]

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  12. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I bought volume one. My son fell asleep as I read the first issue out loud to him. I'm trying to pace myself, but I might read the rest of it tonight.

13. Picked up all three volumes on Kindle today during a sale and read the first issue. This is my favorite kind of Dan Slott. I found his ASM to be pretty inoffensive in tone overall, but when he’s just a bit (or completely) left of center, he’s incredible.

The first splash of the Impericon blew me away. Is Allred on anything else?

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Allred did iZombie, FF, Art Ops, Bug (currently). I haven't read anything he's done that is older than those. I absolutely adore he and his wife's work.

fluxyjoe likes this.
  15. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

If you are looking for unfiltered Allred, check out Madman! from Image.

fluxyjoe likes this.
  16. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I feel pretty comfortable calling Silver Surfer his best work. Such a fulfilling story start to finish. (@fluxyjoe, I'm pretty sure it's 5 collections, not 3, by the way.)

Though if I had to call something other than Silver Surfer his best, I'd probably say X-Statix. Such a great, weird, fun take on mutants.

fluxyjoe and scottlechowicz like this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Yeah, its five volumes, with the first three being part of Marvel Now! and the last 14 issues being whatever was after that.

18. Ah thanks! I just got the Marvel Now! bundle since Amazon didn’t group the entire run together. Glad to know there’s more before getting invested and thinking it ends prematurely haha.

19. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Anybody interested in it already read the DC Icons novels?

20. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Wife got me signed copies of both for my birthday

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  21. Tim

Had to run an errand today that took me by the shop, so I grabbed my pull. Only had Marvel Two-in-One and Doomsday Clock in it... But, that's a dang good pair of issues. Both were excellent.

Also, yesterday I went to my shop's other location's "basement sale" and got some good dollar comics. Not as much as I usually do because money, but enough. Mostly Spider-Man miscellaneous stuff. Also a few old Milestone #1 issues still in their polybags, with a poster and trading card with each. Icon is super cool. I might start trying to collect as much classic 90s Milestone as I can.

22. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Like your avatar. Who's the artist?

Which reminds me we need more stuff in this thread: Illustrations

23. Tim

Ha, forgot about that thread.

Thanks. It's by Phil Noto. I think it's a variant cover? All I know is that Noto is fantastic at drawing Marvel characters like they're in old candid photographs.

zigbigwig and scottlechowicz like this.
  24. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Noto is awesome. I have an art book of his and it’s so great.

zigbigwig and Tim like this.
  25. Tim

Speaking of Noto, you know who I wanna see him do a full project with?

Mark Waid.

Noto did a couple issues of Waid's Avengers when Mike Del Mundo was the main artist, but a Marvels-esque miniseries, or even maxiseries, with the two of them would be incredible.

Get 'em on a vintage Fantastic Four story. Or pull a Spider-Man: Blue and revisit Peter's Lee/Romita college years, which aren't revisited enough and are way better than high school Peter, tbh.