Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 277

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Right? I did already finish Arkham Asylum though. Really enjoyed it since it was certainly not a typical Batman comic. Next up is Thor (2014) issues 1-8. I’m trying to get a good mix of DC, Image, and Marvel unlimited stuff.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Honestly, I dropped the series halfway through the arc when I had to trim off like a third of my pull list. I've been itching for more Batgirl recently, so I might add it again after this current arc, or I might stick to waiting until I can get the back issues for cheap.

The series is weird for me because I think the writer has a fantastic grip on all the characters' voices, especially Barbara, but the plots aren't engaging for me. This arc with Nightwing I've sat out seems decent, so maybe she's finding her footing with superhero plots. I almost wish she'd experiment with going full on indie with her approach, though, lol, with the Batgirl action becoming an afterthought.

3. failinginplace

Regular

Wanted to share- I got my issues of Superman #204 and Infinite Crisis #1 signed by Jim Lee and Dan Didio today. They were in Houston for Local Comic Shop Day and promoting the Houston Strong variants of Justice League #1. It was really awesome that they are spending the whole day hitting up stores around here, and I know it means a lot to all of us affected by the hurricane back in August. Fantastic guys. And they got a kick out of meeting my three year old, Reed Richards (seriously).

Superman #204 was the book that got me back into comics after a decade-long absence. I was in Austin at the time and the LCS owner told me I should pick it up and I did, along with Kingdom Come and some other books, and I've been back in the comics world ever since. So it was awesome having Jim Lee sign that one :)

Attached Files:

ugman_2000, Tim and Colby Searcy like this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Bedrock City was putting this on right?

5. failinginplace

Regular

Jim Lee had an instagram post saying they were hitting up six stores today, and I went to DNA Comics in Humble/Kingwood which was stop #1. Bedrock has three stops, not sure who the remaining two are. This was especially awesome because at DNA, most of the people out here were affected by the hurricane. The flood waters reached about a few hundred feet from their store, so they got very lucky.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  6. Colby Searcy

That's awesome! I bet 8th Dimension will probably be one.

I take it you live out near Humble/Kingwood? I'm in Copperfield/Jersey Village/Cypress.

7. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Just came here to say this is one of the best books I've read in my entire life:

51FchMUnpBL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Colby Searcy likes this.
  8. failinginplace

Regular

yup i'm in kingwood. we had water about a third of a mile from us (but considering how far up it had come that wasn't much further). you fare well? and I haven't been to 8th Dimension, good store?

Colby Searcy likes this.
  9. Colby Searcy

Yeah we had no issues whatsoever, my work we had flooding in 2 restaurants but they were salvageable luckily. Glad y'all made it out safely.

Honestly I've only been 1 time to try and sell my collection. Even though 8th dimension is a 5 minute drive from me I tend to go to Bedrock because I know she of the employees from when I used to frequent there.

failinginplace likes this.
  10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

LOVE how this turned out.

[​IMG]

Contender likes this.
  11. Tim

12. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

oh shit Doomsday Clock tomorrow

13. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

I've been reading comics! Here are thoughts on some of what I've been reading:

The first Miles Morales' run of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man was a treat. It was everything I remember loving about Bendis' writing on the OG USM but with so many new (and some old) characters to love. I was surprised at how short it seemed but I ripped through it at a good pace. I think the Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man is the next series up with the character so I've got it bookmarked.

I've read up to the Infinity event in both Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers. I'm not as into either of those books as I was when I was reading comics regularly years back, but I think it's because the breadth of the stories are stakes are much bigger-picture (ie world-ending threats) which I tend to enjoy less these days. Contrast that with the first arc of The Mighty Thor which was the first time I've read anything stand-alone from the character, and I ended up really enjoying it. Even though it had some pretty high stakes, it still felt like a personal story for both Thor and the villain.

I'm still working my way through Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Uncanny X-Men and a few other titles but I'm trying to take breaks in between story arcs so I don't burn myself out on anything too quickly.

Outside of Marvel I read the entirety of Nailbiter. It was good, but I feel like I enjoyed the concept more in theory than in execution. Still some great characters and great twists, though.

Colby Searcy and Tim like this.
  14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Dropping JLA. Both trades were no good.

Thawne stuff in Flash was awesome.

Black Cloud was an awesome Image book. Latour is becoming on of my favorite writers.

Buzzkill was such an interesting story, but I wanted more out of it. Cates keeps doing these single volume books, but I just want so much more. Really glad Redneck is continuing.

Finally started picking up the deluxe editions of Y: the Last Man. Probably going to finish that and Fables and then pick up Ex Machina.

Vivatoto likes this.
  15. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Whoa. Axel Alonso is out as EiC at Marvel?

How did I miss this?

16. Tim

I've seen some reading into that decision happening so close to Bendis going to DC, which is dumb speculation, but people sure do love a narrative, lol.

I loved how Axel advocated for representation with new characters, but his love of upsetting status quo is probably a good thing to have removed from the equation at Marvel for now. As long as Sana Amanat sticks around, I'm confident in Marvel doing well by their new characters. CB seems like the right guy for Marvel right now.

17. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

CB is a really nice dude. Incredibly nice, in fact. I’ve run into him at cons throughout the years.

I think Marvel is in great hands.

Tim likes this.
  18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Admittedly, I have no idea what an editor does, much less an eic

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Doomsday Clock was something... Not really much going on so far. Not sure why it was a $6 issue.

21. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

well 5 if you didn't get the lenticular, I had to get the Superman's leg dissolving one, I love that cover.

22. Colby Searcy

Who's CB?

23. Tim

Colby Searcy likes this.
  24. Tim

I really liked Doomsday Clock #1 a lot. Didn't expect the first issue to predominantly take place in the Watchmen world, only visiting Clark at the very end. I can already tell that this is going to be a fantastic series.

ChiliTacos and Vivatoto like this.
  25. Tim

You know what else I loved that came out this week? Silver Sable and the Wild Pack #36 (one of a handful of Marvel one-shots released this month using the numbering of an old series).

Non-stop action, just Silver Sable taking on a ship full of lady neo Nazis with immigrant hostages and at one point getting bit by a shark. The ending was abrupt, like the writer ran out of pages without realizing it until only 2 pages were left. But otherwise, 'twas a total blast.