Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 252

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Peter Parker Returns to the Daily Bugle in Marvel Legacy -

Hm. Could be cool.

Worth noting that, with the legacy numbering, ASM will reach #800 in September 2018. Maybe the Marvel Legacy issue will be the first issue in Slott's final year on the character? :chin: (He's been working on ASM for a decade now, so it wouldn't be a bad time to bow out. lol.)

2. Started reading the 2012 Scarlet-Spider stuff. It's good so far. Darker than I expected. Gonna have to go back and do Spider-Island next I think.

3. Tim

Jason Tate and Deanna like this.
  4. Tim

Saw an email in my account that I rarely use that, because I had ordered recently enough from IST, I could get an additional 3% off whatever I ordered the 14th or 15th. Checked the calendar, and it's the evening of the 15th. Now, 3% isn't much, but for the heck of it, I checked IST to see what their deals of the week were.

Daredevil by Mark Waid Omnibus Vol. 1 60% off. Add my additional three percentage, and that 30-something-issue omnibus, full of delicious artwork by Chris Samnee, Paolo Rivera, and Marcos Martin is only $37.

Naturally, I tossed in a couple Carnage trades in there to break $50 for free shipping, threw on the third Carnage trade as well so I'd have the whole recent Gerry Conway run, and promptly placed that order. Good thing I'm gonna get eaten alive at work next week while the other screen printer is on vacation so that I can afford my comics decision-making.

5. Colby Searcy likes this.
  6. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

I have a question for the experts.

What is Spidey? Is it a complete re boot of his early years?

7. Tim

I wouldn't say reboot. Spidey is kinda like the 90s series Untold Tales of Spider-Man in that it tells new tales set in the original Ditko high school era. The technology is more modern because of Marvel's sliding timeline (if Peter isn't 70 years old, it makes sense that he was now in high school in the 21st century), but otherwise, it's technically still the same continuity.

The one weird detail is that Gwen Stacy is present, when she wasn't introduced in the 60s comics until the beginning of college. I remember the Straczynski run, in the initial Morlun arc, showing Gwen's face when Peter was talking about high school, though, so if we don't treat that as an error on either his or JRJR's part, technically that got gently retconned already. I actually haven't read Spidey yet, but from flipping through it, it seems like Peter and Gwen are friends but don't date in it, so that relationship starting in college still works. Plus, while Lee and Ditko imply that Gwen was from a different school, I don't think it's specified where, so that's easy to fix. Though, he does like Gwen in it, so when I do finally read it, I'll have to see where that fits with him dating Betty Brant back in the day.

/nerd continuity thoughts

fluxyjoe, Jason Tate and GettingSodas like this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

upload_2017-7-17_15-10-5.png

HARLEY QUINN 25TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1

• Written by AMANDA CONNER, JIMMY PALMIOTTI, PAUL DINI and CHIP ZDARSKY
    • Art by AMANDA CONNER, CHAD HARDIN, JOE QUINONES and others
    • Cover by AMANDA CONNER
    • Variant covers by JIM LEE and BRUCE TIMM
    • Celebrate twenty-five years of Harley Quinn with this collection of stories by some legendary Harley talent and some who’ve never drawn her before! How does Harley manage her insanely jam-packed life on Coney Island? What haven’t we seen from her past with the Joker? And can even Harley’s psychological acumen crack the twisted mind of…Robin, the Boy Wonder?
    • One-shot • On sale SEPTEMBER 6 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T+

Colby Searcy likes this.
  9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Colby Searcy and as_we_learn like this.
  10. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

oh man i need that bourdain book haha.

11. Tim

Shakriel and Colby Searcy like this.
  12. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Love to see people riot when DC scoops Chip up exclusively

Didn't realize Nocenti was still in comics

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. Tim

This looks cool.

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Haha Henderson wasn't kidding when he said he was getting a book with a lot of death

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

[​IMG]
    My heart hurts so much

16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Caught up on Spider-Man and Spider-Gwen today. Reading through The Superior Foes of Spider-Man and From Hell still, too. From Hell is feeling like quite the project. Though, I don't know why that would surprise me with it being an Allan Moore book and all haha.

Tim and Jason Tate like this.
  17. Tim

Cool 5 min sketch of Venom by Todd McFarlane.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

So excited for every book I got this week, outside of Justice League. lol

[​IMG]

Shakriel likes this.
  19. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

King's Batman continues to impress me. It's not just that he's taking chances but he's swinging for the fences each time he does. Not many people would change the focus of a Joker/Riddler story to a d-list character that's only appeared a handful of times since Batman was created, but he does it and makes it fucking sing. Such a confident storyteller.

20. Analyzing the Gender Representation of 34,476 Comic Book Characters
    Three out of five comic book characters have at least one superpower, regardless of gender. When we categorize these powers, we find that there are some clear gender imbalances.

The data suggest that less-physical powers — such as empathy, intellect, and telepathy — tend to be more represented among female characters. Men however, often have highly physical powers, as well as those that involve gadgets. Female characters dominate in relatively few physical abilities; and those where they do are often tied to gender stereotypes. Pheromone control — the ability to generate and control pheromones that affect emotional and physical states, such as sleep, fear, and pleasure — occurs five times as often in a female character. Sonic scream appears in twice as many female characters as male; and prehensile hair — the ability to control one’s own hair — appears in female characters seven times more often.

Colby Searcy and Deanna like this.
  21. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Finished up The Superior Foes of Spider-Man and read through Ultimate Fallout to fill in some pieces before Ultimate Comics Spider-Man. Because clearly I'm not capable of reading things in their proper order haha.

Undecided on what's next that isn't From Hell haha. Might read through some Batman stuff I have on my shelf that isn't Morrison's run since I've yet to buy all of that.

22. Tim

You could read the '91 4-issue mini Deadly Foes of Spider-Man, or at least skim it. Superior Foes was somewhat inspired by it, so it could be relevant to a Superior Foes podcast episode. Completely optional, lol; just a thought.

23. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I think I can manage to get through 4 more Spidey related issues haha. We can definitely cover both on the episode if you want.

Tim likes this.
  24. Tim

Cool. Yeah, Deadly Foes would be a shorter conversation, so it'd still be a "Superior Foes of Spider-Man" episode, but I think it'd be fitting and cool to have a section on Deadly Foes at the beginning.

25. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Looks like it's not on MU (which seems odd) but I will find it and read it!