Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 251

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Been digging into Aftershock a bit and loving everything I've come across. American Monster, Shipwreck, Black Eye Kids, InSEXts, and especially Animosity which I have fallen head over heels in love with.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Re: Miles Morales if we left it up to @Jason Tate it'd be called Miles Morales Season 1 Episode 1

Tim, dadbolt and Jason Tate like this.
  3. Haha.. it's why I catalog my own copies in folders with my own system. ;-p

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 6.32.40 PM.png

dadbolt and Colby Searcy like this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Haha OMG I figured the ocd was bad but not that bad! Hahahahaha

5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Russell Dauterman is too good, dang it. Too good!

SpyKi and as_we_learn like this.
  6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

:heart: Throg

Tim likes this.
  7. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

Just got done reading Dark Days: The Casting and I'm very confused lol. Kinda feel like they crammed way too much stuff into this prelude. Still excited to check out Metal next month.

8. EarlyMorningRiser

Keep on the sunny side.

I'm currently reading the Judas Contract. I'm liking it so far, and I really hadn't read a lot of Titans stuff before.

I'm really liking that this copy is printed on newspaper stock. It's kinda faded and for some reason I love the smell of the paper/ink haha.

I like reading my old floppies for the same reason, well that and the ads. Do you guys know of any other trades/graphic novels printed like that? I'd love to pick up some more.

9. Tim

Been making good progress on my Spider-Man reading this week. I'm now on ASM #119, which will be the first in a 2-parter guest-starring the Hulk... and then comes The Night Gwen Stacy Died!

Ended up just skimming ASM #116-118, though, 'cause those 3 issues were all constructed from a 60s black and white Spectacular Spider-Man magazine that was collected in the second ASM omnibus. They added colors and some new pages and dialogue, so it'd fit into the current series status quo, but the main plot and many pages were identical. Lame, lol.

10. I have a bunch of old Spider-Man comics on the computer, opened Amazing Fantasy #15, and see this ad:

[​IMG]

Creepy.

Colby Searcy and Vivatoto like this.
  11. Is your goal to read every single ASM? Or every Spider-Man book ever? Haha.

Curious.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. Tim

Not quite THAT ambitious, lol.

Basically, when I realized that the ASM Omnibus Vol. 3 was coming out this year, along with an Epic Collection trade that happened to pick up right where that omnibus leaves off and then go until #123 (a couple issues after Gwen's death), I decided it'd be fun to read everything from the character's debut through Gwen's death before Homecoming came out. I had some lazy stretches and clearly didn't quite make it, but it was still a fun journey.

Might read the Original Clone Saga trade next, since it picks up not that much later (#139-150, then some material from later in the 70s) and feels like a natural next step after the death of Gwen Stacy. After that, not sure if I'll go back to the Roger Stern Omnibus I was working on last year and knock out a nice stretch of 80s material (including the Alien Costume Saga), or fast forward a lot and do a proper read through Superior Spider-Man.

13. Haha, gotcha. Makes sense. It just seemed like you were plowing through and wondered if you were going in for the full run. I haven't gone back to the really old stuff in a long time. I was deciding if I wanted to do the second Scarlet Spider run next, or maybe some of the more one off random series.

14. I basically just call this volume 2 of ASM. haha. It's really good though for leading into the new ASM + Spider-Verse + Doc.

You caught up on ASM and neo-nazi looking hydra doc?

15. Tim

I forget, have you read Superior Foes of Spider-Man yet? I know I've recommended it before. That was such a fun series.

I still need to read that Scarlet Spider series. I only have the first trade and have been planning on reading it for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Love his costume, though. A lot of the same people who liked Superior Spider-Man liked that Scarlet Spider.

Oh, and speaking of side series of that sort, I've only read a few volumes of the Venom run centered on Agent Venom (the first and last volumes, funny enough, and also Circle of Four), but that was really cool. Forget if you've read that one. I know it crossed over with Scarlet Spider in the Minimum Carnage story, which I passed on buying at a Half Price Books because money and then immediately regretted, lol.

Well *nerd voice* ACTUALLY... ASM Vol. 2 started in '99. It just eventually returned to the original numbering, like the current volume is gonna do in the fall. And, they're including Superior in that numbering, so you're not wrong! (Well, besides which volume it is, of course.)

But yeah, no. I'm in the seeming minority that likes the current ASM status quo, but all I've read is the first 8 issues, and then Clone Conspiracy 'cause it was a cool premise with a cool artist and its own miniseries. Depending on what moneys look like in the fall, I could see myself jumping back in then and starting the process of catching up on what I missed; hopefully I'd be able to get a lot of the old enough issues in my shop's dollar back issues section. I am excited to read that recent Osborn arc, which looked really cool, especially with Immonen on art.

16. I just call that all Volume 1 since that's what they ended up calling it all anyway.

1-700 is volume 1. (This)
    Superior is 2.
    3 and 4 are as numbered.

Not sure what I'll do when they change things.

Makes easier for organization for me to not pull Superior out of ASM, when it should be read right after. I prefer reading order. heh.

Ah, gotcha, makes sense. Yeah, it's been pretty good. 'Clone Conspiracy' was good.

I have, it was a fun read.

Welp, if you ever want any of the digital Spidey stuff I have, lemme know, I've got quite a bit!

Tim likes this.
  17. Tim

I personally don't like reading digitally. I know I'll give in someday, but I haven't yet. And, when I do, Spidey is something I'll always like having a nice physical library of, lol. Thanks, though!

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. Dodge725

Trusted

I think it will be an issue that really works well once the whole thing is out, but right now is just meant to be confusing to set up the mystery. It seems like you'd be completely lost if you didn't read the entire Snyder N52 run which is both rewarding and alienating at the same time. I did love the interaction with Talia because any reference to Morrison's run and Tomasi's Batman & Robin is A+ in my book.

19. Vivatoto

Hal Jordan was pretty damn intense, the stuff with Sora is the most interesting at the moment. I also very badly want Jon Vs Hal.

I don't love the new WW direction, especially the art. I might feel better a few issues down the line when I'm not comparing it to Ruckas'

Really enjoying the Defenders. "This isn't how I want to die" The Punisher responds, "Sure it is, why else would you live the life you do?"

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey is still perfect.

Red Hood did a great job of breaking my heart over a character I did not like going into the series, so that's commendable.

Regression getting really good, I've decided I like the art.

Kill Or Be Killed is great but I'm surprised that was the end of the arc, much quieter than last arc.

Also I'm crying like every issue of Animosity I read, I think it was made specifically for the tugging of my heart strings.

Oh and Hal Jordan Earth One sounds incredible.

as_we_learn likes this.
  20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

21. as_we_learn

Tomorrow's Just Too Late Prestigious

The Punisher stuff in Denfenders is so good. I just wish they gave us more hints on Diamondback's powers. Like it's been him just beating the Defenders up which is awesome, but I feel like it's losing its allure and needs more of why and how he's back.

22. Tim

Mighty Thor 700 is gonna be a sweet issue. I can already tell.

23. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Anybody read this book?

I love Black Mask Studios. I just hope this is an engaging book and not just some wish fulfillment stuff.

24. Vivatoto

World Reader is great.

25. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

B&N has buy 2 get 3rd free on Marvel right now through 7/18

Same offer for DC starts 7/19