Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 231

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I don't think I'd ever blind buy six volumes of something, haha.

2. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I missed posting this yesterday, but here is my NCBD haul for 5/24/17:

NEW THIS WEEK

Action Comics 980
    Detective Comics 957
    Wonder Woman 23

PREVIOUSLY RELEASED, BUT RECENTLY REDUCED

Aliens: Dead Orbit 1
    Rebels: These Free and Independent States 2
    The Old Guard 3
    Underwinter 2

3. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

Seven to Eternity is real good, you guys.

Colby Searcy and as_we_learn like this.
  4. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Jerome Opena draws pretty.

And Matt Hollingsworth's colors!

dadbolt likes this.
  5. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

It's pure eye candy for sure. The story is shaping up real nicely as well. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite current Image books

6. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I love how that article from The Atlantic criticizing Marvel included the critique that Marvel personalities often belittle fans on Twitter.

The response from those Marvel personalities? To belittle fans on Twitter.

There is something really strange going on at Marvel right now. That must be why DC has muzzled Dan Didio. I keep on waiting for him to be all like "Hold my beer..." I can only imagine that DC has him and Eddie Berganza locked in a room somewhere with no phones or wifi.

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

lol.

8. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Just had get rid of half of the floppies I have left. That leaves me with just 4 short boxes of floppies and 1 short box of autographed floppies. I had so much I hated to get rid of. About 40 issues of Y the last man. 30 or so issues of Ex Machina. Most of Whedon's Astonishing.

I just couldn't justify owning it in trade, digital, and floppy haha.

dadbolt likes this.
  9. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

Comixology has a sale on Marvel's Onslaught event. That was one of my favorite X-Men stories when I was a kid and I highly recommend checking it out.

10. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Read Year One of East of West and I adore it. Xiaolian is the best.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  11. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

That book only gets better. It's unreal. I pretty much worship at the altar of Hickman haha

Vivatoto likes this.
  12. SpyKi

I really need to read more East of West. Still only have vol 1 but I loved it back when I read it.

as_we_learn and Vivatoto like this.
  13. Vivatoto

I totally get it, he's something else. I'm so obsessed with the world, each nation and their politics. I'm really glad to hear it only gets better because I think this is going to be a new favorite, the first book was flawless.

I also feel like he was inspired by The Wheel of Time. The White Tower, Black Tower, talk of The Pattern, human "dragons"...A lot of those things are pretty generic fantasy lingo but I feel like there were a few too many for it to be a coincidence. There were better ones I wish I could remember.

EDIT: Oh, the obvious one, watching a prophecy get fulfilled piece by piece.

14. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

The politics and personalities are so much fun.

I am glad to have someone else to chat with about it haha.

I am current with it and I feel as strongly about it as I did at the start. And I can't fail to mention the art and colors. It hits all the right notes for me.

Vivatoto likes this.
  15. Tim

Finished the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus vol 2. I'm through ASM #67 (and annual #5) now, ready to begin the third omnibus.

It's interesting to me how much I love Peter and Gwen being adorable and in love in this, even though Stan's Gwen was a very thinly written love interest. Stan was (and I'm sure still is) rather sexist, but when his playful dialogue and Romita's charming art mesh just right, man, it's just the best.

16. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Remember when Stan Lee's wife voiced Madame Web and she took Spider-Man to meet Stan Lee who saw her and said something along the lines of "what an exotic woman!"

17. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Hey guys, how do you pronounce the word "symbiote?"

I was re-watching the 90s Spider-Man cartoon and Eddie Brock says "simbi aught" but I always said "simbi oat."

Am I wrong. Do I like oats too much?

Colby Searcy likes this.
  18. Vivatoto

I'm going to order book 2 this week then I plan on reading the single issues to catch up so you'll have someone else to nerd out on the new issues with, ha.

19. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Pretty bummed about Marvel releasing Daniel Ketchum. He's a guy that knows everything about the history of X-men, and has a deep love for them. He was a huge proponent for the Gambit, Storm, Magneto, and the upcoming Iceman series. Hopefully there's still believers in the title there.

as_we_learn likes this.
  20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Reading the recent Raven mini. It's just not interesting at all. I had high hopes given Wolfman wrote it.

21. So exited for the introduction of "venom" into the Spider-Gwen world. God damn.

Also really interested in the direction they're taking Miles now. Good issues this month.

Just started 'Court of Owls' .... so far I really really like it. I've missed Batman. Haha. Got some cold brew and gonna read for a few hours. It's a good lazy Sunday.

22. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I'm pretty interested in Spider-Gwen but my only real knowledge of the spidey verse is from the movies. Am I fine to start reading?

23. SpyKi

I'd say yes.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  24. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

finished the first volume of Nailbiter this morning. really like the overall story and the twist and turns so far (also super fast paced which i would imagine is how most graphic novels go) but woof is some of the dialogue bad. i understand, there's limited time and space for dialogue but man, some parts felt like copy and paste from bad CSI episodes. also the logic or reaction of events is hilariously stupid at times and if Finch says "Hm" one more time...!

25. Tim

My local shop had a sale today on back-issues, so I made more progress on my '85-'88 Spidey collecting. I'm already down to only 14 issues left in that stretch, which is pretty exciting. I'm really tempted to just go to one of the bigger shops in Pittsburgh in the next week and see if I can knock the rest of it out, since I'm so close, but I think I'm gonna force myself to hold off, especially since I'm still working on reading through that first decade.

Contender likes this.