Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comedy: Stand-Up, Improv, Sketch, Podcasts • Page 605

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

And for panel shows, there’s a lot of content on youtube, but r/panelshows has lots of links to new episodes of stuff.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  2. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Yeah that's totally the thing with panel shows over here, there's just so god damn many of them and they all have their own sorta niche. So it's about sorta finding out who you like, who they gel with, what sorta topics or styles you like.

For example, there's Would I Lie To You? which is a bit more safe for work, often has non-comedians on but is still hilarious. Then shows like QI which is more high brow, comedy that makes you think. Topical weekly shows like Mock The Week or Have I Got News For You which are a lot more politics orientated. Shit loads of radio panel shows too, like Just A Minute, which probably appeal to fans of podcasts more. If you want classics which aren't on anymore, Never Mind The Buzzcocks was excellent - basically a music quiz show, but the glory days of that show can stand with anything on TV these days.

bigmike likes this.
  3. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

The IT Crowd got me to look into British comedy and NMTB clips with Simon Amstell were among the first I saw. I haven’t watched episodes of NMTB in years, I should do that again.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  4. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Taskmaster is the BEST

5. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

One of the few that I haven't given a chance yet, but it's on my list.

6. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I watched all of taskmaster and now I'm just rewatching it all, so satisfying.

New Zealand Taskmaster is also very good if you want more of the format in English.

bigmike likes this.
  7. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

The Demon Skeeter of Fleet Street

imthesheriff likes this.
  8. I have all of the UK Taskmaster seasons on my Plex server and my wife and I have been watching it non-stop haha. We watched the American season too, and it sucked.

9. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

riotspray likes this.
  10. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Alright, so the addition of Hollywood Handbook to the Flagrant Ones patreon (and that new Tart show with his cousin) finally has me pulling the trigger (went with the $10 option because Sean and Hayes just have very nice faces and are such nice boys).

Is The Flagrant Ones a show worth going back to the beginning for? I know it's a basketball show so I wasn't sure how it holds up. But I'm also not a huge NBA follower so maybe that wouldn't matter?

riotspray likes this.
  11. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

yes absolutely. Some episodes are basketball heavy but most aren’t. Some of the bits at the beginning are hilarious and all the episodes are right around an hour so it should be easy to catch up.

riotspray and TJ Wells like this.
  12. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Awesome! The pro version also worth going back into?

13. imthegrimace

I’m not sure I’ve never listened and only listen to HH occasionally.

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

TFO is my favorite current podcast. The only one I keep up with in between catching up on ActionBoyz. Doughboys slipped with the pandemic, but TFO hasn't missed a beat

15. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Interesting, I would argue Doughboys actually got better during the pandemic.

I Am Mick likes this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

To be fair, the last ep I listened to was from August.

17. imthegrimace

Doughboys slipped a little bit at the start of the pandemic but they’ve been on fire lately.

18. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I don't even know what a basketball is and I love TFO

19. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Agree, doughboys in March and April wasn’t great but it has been as good as ever lately. HH and HH Pro Version also have been great during the pandemic. I think TFO fell off a bit but it’s still fantastic

imthesheriff likes this.
  20. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Doughboys and Actionboyz remain top tier for me. Never Not Funny has been consistently great for over a decade. TFO is always a good time (and i've never watched a full game of basketball in my life)

Throwing out my recommendation for The Grawlix Saves The World again, just very dumb fun. I'd recommend the episode with Rory Scovel or "Stop Saying Um and Like So Much" if you want to sample it

21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Besides news and music podcasts, my weekly comedy pods are still Doughboys, CBB, How Did This Get Played? amd Blank Check (if that counts as comedy). High and Mighty and Good Ones depends on the guest/subject. Fell completely off with WTF.

I really want to get into the Patreon stuff like Actionboyz and TFO, but I can't pay $25/month for all these podcasts I support.

22. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

I really wish I had the motivation to watch the movies so I could listen to Actionboyz. I just have no interest in spending time on any of the movies they cover

imthesheriff likes this.
  23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I thought you it's just double threat for me at this point

24. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

You really don't need to see the movies, I've probably seen 1 out of every 10 they cover. They do a good enough job recapping it, and the majority of the episodes are them having off topic conversations or doing bits.

25. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Monday - YKS, How Did This Get Played
    Tuesday- HH, Doughboys, Chapo
    Wednesday- HH Pro version
    Thursday: TFO, Doughboys
    Friday: YKS, Chapo

Sprinkle in a couple NBA podcasts here and there as well

riotspray and yeahrightdude like this.