Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comedy: Stand-Up, Improv, Sketch, Podcasts • Page 496

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Analyze Phish return???

2. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Scott looks different

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

what

Kyle Max likes this.
  4. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Big yikes

5. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

no one should be surprised people if not the majority of people enjoy chapelle's material. it's very in line with what most people think, do and say which makes the whole "he'll say what they say you can't say" edginess even more cringe.

ChaseTx, Anthony_, bigmike and 4 others like this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, a bunch of people i know that are fairly progressive are speaking its praises.

8. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

In case anyone hasn't listened to the CBB country songs yet:

mad, yeahrightdude and SlappinCups like this.
  9. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

10. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Truly incredible

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

An old college friend we don’t keep in touch much but we’ve bonded over CBB. She sent me this today:
    DE297F52-5462-4D3E-91B6-3F217594A174.jpeg

Kingjohn_654 and gonz (Alex) like this.
  12. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

13. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Been thinking of “my wife is a truck and when she cries she honks” a lot today

14. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

"Truck Baby" needs to win a Grammy

St. Nate and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  15. jols

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not always big on parody songs but I live in a rural area and the country shtick kills me

16. EarthShifts

Trusted

I woke up this morning and immediately started singing "Human skin truck baby" as soon as my eyes opened. It won't leave my head.

St. Nate and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  17. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

If you put gas in the freezer, it becomes gelatinous

18. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I feel like people are asking themselves the wrong questions when it comes to the Chapelle special.

Instead of asking "is this funny?"
    Ask yourself "is this okay to joke about?"

Of course it's going to be funny, he might be the most talented comedian alive, but it's still punching down.

mad, bigmike and Zilla like this.
  19. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Absolutely can't wait for this.

20. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Bingo. And the best comedian in the world shouldn’t have to punch down to be funny.

21. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

I wasn't a huge fan of the Chapelle special outside of a couple of lines but I'm not sure there should be any unspeakable topics for comedians. I’m not saying i need all my content to be “edgy” or whatever and I'm not one of the "Jeez lighten up u guyzzz!!!" type of people cos there’s plenty of things I don't like jokes about or I’m sensitive about or just don't find funny but I like seeing comedians TRY to twist things that aren't funny into something funny. Afterwards when it's not funny they deserve to be shitted on but I don't think they should be restricted. I just like seeing the attempt sometimes. As long as it's actually an attempt to craft something and not just "shock value".

chewbacca110 and riotspray like this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It's not that you can't joke about offensive or controversial things, it's that being offensive isn't automatically funny and there's so much low hanging fruit

23. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

I agree. I don't think shock value = automatically funny either like i said. I just think it's interesting to see someone TRY and craft something from the low hanging controversial fruit that IS original or funny and well put together because it's more difficult than saying things people already agree with.

24. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I for one look forward to the increasing use of the phrase "alphabet people" in our cultural lexicon.

25. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

A comedian like Anthony Jeselnik does blatantly offensive comedy, but frames it in a way that it's a character and not his personal views. Chappelle's comedy and character was built on kind of a cartoonish look at a depressing reality. Like turning the crack epidemic into a scene from "Jurassic Park."

It shifted since his big break to be a lot of him playing the victim and not understanding other people so instead, he'll punch down at those he can't wrap his head around. I think the stuff about his son doing school shooting drills echoed some of his earlier work. It got some big laughs out of me. But the "Alphabet People" shit can get out. Just an old man yelling at people.