Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comedy: Stand-Up, Improv, Sketch, Podcasts • Page 399

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I don't think there's a single podcast where I don't tune out for 20 minutes

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

3. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

4. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Fuck yes. I was bummed about no Doughboys today but this will make up for it

yeahrightdude likes this.
  6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Who’s the dude above Wiger?

Edit: nvm, ep is up on iTunes, can’t wait to listen

imthesheriff likes this.
  7. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Kind of think Nicole is going a little too far in this power hour...?

There is some darkness hanging over this event.

8. lostawholeyear

Regular Prestigious

Lol Nicole always goes deep. Not surprised

9. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

last year she was like half naked crawling on the ground by the end of it lol

10. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

I'm batting 1000 for times I've reached for my phone when Carl gets a message on The Flagrant Ones

Shrek and Wharf Rat like this.
  11. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

the Gabrus v. /r/earwolf stuff is very unnerving and a bummer. re: Nicole’s behavior on the power hour.

12. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

What’s going on?

13. Shrek Nov 25, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 25, 2018)
    Shrek

14. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

I don’t see anything particularly wrong with any of this. Honestly, if it was Lapkus doing the same thing I don’t think anyone would be creating Reddit threads calling out her behavior. Whole thing seems really disingenuous and even the creator of the thread says he’s rethinking his position on it.

OhTheWater likes this.
  15. Shrek

the clear difference here is that Lapkus wouldn’t have done it?

16. Shrek Nov 25, 2018
    Shrek

i’m less grossed out by Nicole’s behavior and more grosssed out by Gabrus/Allison’s deflective reactions. i wouldn’t have been made uncomfortable by Nicole. that doesn’t mean anything though because there are people that have. Nicole wasn’t playing a character. Nicole was being Nicole with some beer in her.

17. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

Nicole's whole shtick is being wild and crazy, and ya know well dicks..lol I can't believe anybody is surprised.

18. Shrek

are you saying that outside expectations outweigh personal responsibility of one’s actions?

19. Shrek

to be clear, i adore Nicole. i love her as a guest, host, and otherwise. but no one gets a pass on how they act towards unknowing strangers, be them guests, audience members, etc. it was a weird thing to do. no one is calling for a revocation of a career. but she literally zeroed in on audience members and asked them on the spot to reveal themselves. it shouldn’t have happened. it is that simple.

bigmike, I Am Mick and riotspray like this.
  20. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

I'm never said it was ok, just not surprised

Shrek likes this.
  21. Aaron Mook Nov 25, 2018
    Was the thread made by someone who felt uncomfortable at the show?

Edit: NVM I found it. Looks like the original post was deleted, but there's a thread.

22. Shrek

no, thread was made by a listener. but there are uncomfortable attendees in the thread. and at the end of the day performers should respect a level of dissonance between performer and audience member. god knows a performer would despise an audience member hijacking the show. there is a synergy there.

23. Shrek Nov 25, 2018
    Shrek

i feel awkward having posted about it tbh. i’m not going to argue about it beyond this. i’m not a dumb meninist. but as i listened to the podcast when it was newly released without any outside bias, it felt weird. it also did not feel malicious. women are objectified to a degree the average man could never imagine, so when Nicole objectifies some men it’s easy to laugh. but she patrolled observers. observers who are encouraged by the very nature of the episode’s premise to drink and get comfortable in drinking. and those people were put on the spot.

I Am Mick and bigmike like this.
  24. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone ever seen Bridget Everett live? She "sexually assaults" audience members as part of her show. I'd assume most of the people that go see her are aware, but...

25. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I haven’t read the thread but I thought Nicole went too far that show. It’s totally fine if your whole “thing” is about getting laid and dicks and what not, but going into the audience and shouting at human beings to show you their genitals is fucked

Shrek and bigmike like this.