Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

College Thread • Page 66

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by devenstonow, Sep 7, 2016.

1. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

good job!

You always hear that universities are usually like whatever about missing days and dont even notice or care but my one class says you can miss 2 (it does not say what happens if you miss more than that lol) and I'm just like really? 2?? thats even less than my community college policy allowed (3)

2. danielm123

Trusted

One advantage of going to a public college in NYC: You get all the religious/cultural holidays off. Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Eid, Chinese New Year, etc. I've already had 5 days off and I just started class three weeks ago.

On the downside, all these holidays do make it kind of hard to adjust to the new schedule.

supernovagirl likes this.
  3. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I went home before my second class today because I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open. Now I’m home and my head is killing me. This is karma damnit

4. Dog with a Blog

this is the first semester where I have zero tests. not even a final. just papers and presentations, which is great cause that's where I excel. It's a lot of work but I think I'll do okay as long as I can stay on top of things

5. danielm123

Trusted

Strangely, I have the reverse situation. I pretty much only have tests (two small group presentations at the end of the semester, but I don't know if I'd really count those), which is the first time I haven't had any writing to do. I thought I was going to enjoy the break from writing, but now I have too much homework and realize how much I actually enjoyed all the writing.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  6. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

we had to do our first english "project" and I got a 45/50 on the first draft. She wanted us to re-vise and turn it in again for a final draft and I am seriously just debating fixing any spelling/punctuation mistakes and just submitting it again with no added text.

7. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

On my way to my physics 2 exam I saw my friend who is really good at physics had just finished taking the exam and he said to me “It’s bad, really bad, basically impossible” so you know that’s never a good sign

Basically it was a complete shit show and so far I haven’t talked to anyone who thinks they did well

8. Dog with a Blog

Hopefully it’ll be curved

9. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

I had he same professor last semester for physics 1 and he usually curved exams 5-10 points so I’m hoping for the best lol

10. danielm123

Trusted

I almost prefer the complete shit shows where everyone does poorly. Makes me feel better about my own incompetence and there's no way the professor can fail all of you.

For what it's worth, everyone failed my first physics 2 test last year (I think I may have been one of the only people to actually pass legitimately). I had the same professor as the previous semester and, like yours he would usually curve 10-20 points. But everyone did so badly that the professor had to give a group project to redo the last 2 questions on the test that no one could answer. Basically gave everyone an extra 30-40 points, which brought the class average up to a 75.

11. Dog with a Blog

I’m losin steam.

In addition to work and school I start my fieldwork next week. Gonna do one on one tutoring on Mondays after school and then I’ll be observing high school English classes on Fridays before work. I’ve totally given up on the gym.

lostawholeyear likes this.
  12. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Currently stressing more than necessary over foreign language options.

I want to get into international marketing and have studied Chinese (although the tonal side of it was difficult for my ears). I decided to try Arabic and it’s not too bad but many letters sound very close (there are 4 that make a ‘th’ sound) and due to me only studying for strictly career opportunities, I don’t have the passion for it like I do Chinese and therefor lack the motivation to a lot of free time studying it.

I now have to decide between Japanese or Chinese. While Japanese grammar is more difficult than Chinese, it is vastly easier to pronounce and isn’t tonal. I don’t know if I want to go for a language that’s easier to pronounce or beat myself up again with Chinese.

I’m also miserable in my Arabic class now because I’ve lost all enthusiasm for it but I can’t drop the course.

13. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Failed my first test, aced the last two though so school’s been good I guess

14. Dog with a Blog

It’s all personal preference obviously, but I loved Japanese when I took it. The language is very...precise and I love the way it rolls off the tongue

15. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I need to stop doing my history homework last minute when it is a weekly thing ugh.

I could have relaxed today but instead I gotta do the homework even if it only takes like 2 hours.

16. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

On one end I want to continue Chinese because it is will really help me in international marketing but getting used to the tonal side of it could take years for me to achieve while Japanese is pretty straightforward with its pronunciations. Learning about the vast amount of grammar rules might be easier than having to adjust my hearing. I look at it as learning to tune by ear, some people have the ears for it and others don't and I have used a physical tuner for ten years.

17. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Put off studying for my first test tomorrow until today and I'm making flash cards and it sucks haha.

18. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

5455BE25-018B-4F9A-AFE7-153CDAD702C3.jpeg

19. danielm123

Trusted

I really have to do better at not leaving 90% of my homework for Sunday. I want to enjoy my weekends, not spend 6 hours doing physics problems

20. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

My statics professor was telling us all that basically the whole class did really bad on the quiz and he said “I’ve been teaching this course for 13 years. I’ve had students come up to me and say that my teaching style is bad, that it doesn’t work for them. That’s a lame excuse. It’s not my fault, you just need to practice more and do the problems”

I mean you ARE the professor so I think you share at least a little blame if everyone does bad lol

21. Dog with a Blog

Had my first day of tutoring yesterday. It was okay? My kid was 6 and he is super friendly, we clicked right away. But his dad picked him up after like 30 minutes so that meant I had like an hour and a half left where I just sorta floundered about lol. Next week I'll just go earlier I guess so I can be with the same kid for the whole two hour duration. Then on Friday I start my observation hours which doesn't seem challenging, just super boring and time consuming.

22. The Lucky Moose Sep 26, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 26, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

My professor just asked me if I’m the outlaw/rebel archetype.

I guess I do live life on the edge, sometimes I stay up and binge watch Gilmore Girls until 11PM.

23. Dog with a Blog

One of my teachers was 20 minutes late to class today. I should have just left lol

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  24. Dog with a Blog

785BE114-6584-4306-888C-F48E65D8797D.jpeg

25. danielm123

Trusted