Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

College Thread • Page 13

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by devenstonow, Sep 7, 2016.

1. I hate using block quotes because kids like y'all use that shit for padding but sometimes I actually need to use a longer quote in a paper where I'll probably have no trouble hitting the page limit with or without the block quotes but it feels cheap because of kids like y'all.

2. In other news I have ~45 pages of writing due next week plus an econ stats exam on Monday. Fuck me.

3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

padding a paper isn't ever really necessary because there's always something more to say but i major in words so i would say that, wouldn't i? anyway, good luck to you & everyone else on finals. thankfully im nearly done

DaydreamNation likes this.
  4. English lit or communication? "Major in words" has gotta be one or the other right

5. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Admittedly, I basically only use block quotes for padding. The page requirement on this assignment is a bit much, and there's no way he reads these with them being due a day before grades are due. It's literally an assignment for the sake of it

6. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Presentation today, another one tomorrow, paper due next Monday, another paper due next Wednesday, 2 exams next Thursday. Help

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yep, English. If i could have a focus in creative writing, i would, but my school doesn't offer concentrations as far as i know.

8. Cool. My dad has an MFA in Creative Writing

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  9. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

2000 words into this assignment and i can feel the end is near. just need to basically write two 1000 word essays and then combine them all into one paper and then i'm done. i can feel the burn.

note: instead of pressing the post reply button at the bottom, i pressed command+s. that's where i am right now

10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

what'd he end up doing with it, if you don't mind my asking? im interested in pursuing this beyond a bachelor's degree, but it seems like everyone expects me to pursue teaching with this degree, which isn't what im interested in

11. He's an English professor but writes a lot too. Has had about a half-dozen books published, both fiction and nonfiction, and does a lot of freelance journalism.

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

very cool, if i had to teach then being a professor would be the goal, but im trying to do fiction writing if possible. and i know that one doesn't have to major in english to do that, but there is really nothing else that gets me as excited as this stuff does. i really had no choice. im glad for this example you've given me that it's possible haha

DaydreamNation likes this.
  13. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I am going to community college for my AA right now and my grades have been consistently good....until this semester. I failed 3/4 classes. I'm so disappointed in myself.

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I understand being hard on yourself, but I just want to offer that it's okay; everyone has off periods in their lives, and failing some of your classes is not a reflection of you as a person. While I'm sure this complicates that path you were envisioning for yourself, this is more of a setback than a roadblock. You can take time to recuperate over the summer before maybe trying again the next semester. I'm sorry for any economic hardship you might have incurred in the wake of this, but I hope you keep trying! I hope this helped and this thread has been a pretty kind spot on this website so I'm sure it'd be a good source of encouragement if you need it as well.

supernovagirl likes this.
  15. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

This is so kind :heart: :heart: :heart: thank you so much. Yeah I'm definitely going to go hard at it next semester (and will have to take a higher courseload) but I'm dedicated to doing it.
    I only just discovered this thread so I'm starting from the beginning now! I'm psyched to have a place to talk about this stuff and clearly where people will be supportive and awesome. Hope to contribute the same attitude as well.

16. SlappinCups May 4, 2017
    (Last edited: May 4, 2017)
    SlappinCups

Hurley apologist Prestigious

lol I asked a professor to write me a letter of recommendation for grad school, and he said sure, but to write a rough draft up of what he'd like me to have him say myself and send it to him to fix up. What do I write?

17. Something like this is fairly common in my experience. Unless you and a prof are best of best buds, I'd always at least include a resume when asking for a rec letter so they see what you're trying to highlight about yourself

SlappinCups likes this.
  18. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

im just about done with this 20 pager and i never want to write another research paper again. i have 3 more due this coming week

19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Finished the semester yesterday and I'm so so happy about it

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  20. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

working on a group paper with 5 other teammates. its like 2 pages per person double spaced and one of the dudes in my group can't seem to do it. he keeps asking everyone what sources we're using because he can't find any. the kid isn't bright, but to be in your senior year of college and not know how to write 2 pages with a few sources is insane. its for a marketing class and we basically have to bring an already existing product to a new area. we literally chose our product and country based on the amount of info we were able to find on it. he was there. my mind is literally blown because of how incapable he seems to be

21. Group projects are the fucking worst thing ever and whoever it is in education schools telling profs to use them should be taken out in the street and shot.

That's not an overreaction, is it?

22. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

group projects/presentations are fine. you work in teams in a lot of work environments. group papers are fucking dumb though

Wharf Rat likes this.
  23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Group projects are lame af because unless everyone is passionate about working towards a common goal like they might be in a self directed situation, often times someone ends up doing all the work. Often times that someone is me. Fuck group work

LuigiPeppercorn likes this.
  24. I also should stipulate that group projects make some sense I guess in more business-oriented classes that are designed to emulate a work environment. But I eschew those kinds of classes like the plague.

LuigiPeppercorn likes this.
  25. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

those are both true points. the only reason i dont hate them that much is because as long as everyone does what they're asked to do its usually fine. the issue with a paper is not only keeping track of everyone, but one person is inevitably doing the majority of the work. either someone does a really poor job on their section, or just doesn't do it at all. also group papers have to read like its coming from one person, therefore one person basically has to rewrite the paper to make it all sound right. its dumb. college is dumb. 12 days until i get the damn piece of paper. im gonna go write more essays