Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Colin Kaepernick Has a Job

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Rembert Browne, writing for Bleacher Report:

Here in Turlock, he absorbed every survival skill necessary to live phenomenally among white people, so expertly that they begin to make assumptions—not that you think you’re white, but that you’ve stopped concerning yourself with That Race Stuff, that you are finally content. It is a commonly unfair expectation thrown upon many an agreeable non-white person in a white space in America. But as a black man with a black biological father and a white biological mother, adopted by loving white parents who raised him in a majority white town to become a star three-sport athlete, a God-fearing Christian and a model citizen, this went well beyond the experience of a privileged American jock.

Helluva read. Highly recommended.

js977, fenway89 and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  2. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I had no idea Kaepernick was Christian. Interesting.
    Dude has a killer fro as well.

fenway89 and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  3. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

The fact that this guy is un-hirable because he kneeled, and others get a few game suspensions for way worse crimes like DUIs and beating their spouses/significant others… blows my mind.

Football is entertaining, but fuck the NFL so hard…

4. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

a metaphorical/symboilc job... damn i was duped

kelseyleigh likes this.
  5. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

back in the day i think his christianity was a big factor in his wild popularity

AshlandATeam likes this.
  6. circasurviver

Trusted

Let's not forget the fact that's he's a horrible quarterback

domotime2 likes this.
  7. AshlandATeam

Trusted

He should be starting for a half dozen teams. He could be an upgrade as a backup for about 26 teams.

This idea he isn't good enough to play in the NFL is insane. Joe Webb - a similarly athletic, running QB - just got a job. Joe Webb hasn't thrown a pass since 2011, and was last seen as a backup wide receiver.

Kaepernick isn't Brady or Rodgers or Brees, but the notion he isn't good enough to have a job completely ignores the landscape of NFL quarterbacking.

dadbolt, coleslawed, Robk and 5 others like this.
  8. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Another common critique is he's asking for too much money. Not sure how much merit there is to that. But I think enough anonymous (and not) polls and interviews of staff at all levels have pointed to the kneeling issue that it's undeniable at this point.

9. say_hello_to_good_times

Would you hire Kapernick to be a backup if it meant it could potentially alienate a small yet real percentage of your fan base, potentially costing you tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars?

This is a business decision by the owners. Marginally upgrading your backup and risking bringing negative media attention to damage your brand is at the crux of this issue. If he was a better player, he'd be on a team because that equation would shift.

I'm not advocating not signing him or suggesting my logic is a good reason not to, I'm just trying to set the story straight. These billionaire owners would bend over to pick up a penny off the ground if it were in front of them.

10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Therein lies the issue I guess. if I had enough money to own a football team the first thing I'd do is sign kaepernick to make the statement lol

11. Yes.

12. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Depends on that percentage of people. In this case, yeah I would.

13. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Jason.

14. circasurviver

Trusted

You're absolutely right, I can think of a handful of teams off the top of my heard with worse starting QBs. (Jets, Jags, Colts...)
    I recant my comment.

St. Nate and AshlandATeam like this.
  15. ANTEMASQUE

Yeah and if a team shows interest his girl will call the owner a slave owner.

He sucks. That's why no one wants him. He also causes too much drama. It's not just the fucking kneeling.

16. AshlandATeam

Trusted

1.) His girlfriend's opinions are far less morally reprehensible than domestic abuse. Which the NFL and its fans have forgiven and/or blatantly ignored.

2.) He is far more accomplished and talented than many current NFL QBs.

3.) According to literally every person with inside information, he caused no drama within San Francisco's locker room. Any drama that's caused is created by ownership and/or fans (the moral compass of which can were referenced at point #1).

4. This, you're correct about. It's both the fucking kneeling AND the NFL's unapologetic white supremacy, which has led to a black man with a political opinion being black balled for having said opinion.

Robk likes this.
  17. Iamhollywood315 Sep 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 14, 2017)
    Iamhollywood315

Regular

Playing in the NFL is a privilege. He's not owed anything. and honestly he's not that good of a quarterback. Sure he could be a backup to my Bills or a handful of teams with weak QBs but he creates too much of a distraction that nobody wants to deal with his bullshit. Football teams make business decisions and no one wants off the field distractions when they are aiming for wins and Super Bowls. Unless you're as talented as Brady or Rogers adding him to a team will only bring negativity to the franchise. This isn't middle school where every child is special and gets a participation trophy and league owners don't care about catering to social justice. This is as blunt as it gets.

18. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I'll assume you didn't read and/or understand what was being said here before posting, so I quoted the post before yours for your enjoyment.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Kap had a great year in his last year playing. Look at how awful that team was, but he was a bright spot on it. This is nothing more than the Owner's having a personal vendetta against the kneeling situation. He could start for multiple teams in the league without question.

20. Iamhollywood315

Regular

I didn't read it but I'm making my own opinion on the matter if you think I'm I'm replying to his/her post I'm not I would have quoted it.

21. Joe4th

22. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

23. Joe4th

"I didn't read it, so I'm making my own factually incorrect opinion on the matter"

Should've been what you actually said. Completely ignoring evidence is idiotic.

24. Iamhollywood315

Regular

at the end of the day Leave the political bullshit out of sports. The stadium is not a stage for that. you're there to play football not create distractions.