Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Coldplay Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Cody, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

ALIENS is pretty solid too. 3/3 as far as I'm concerned.

Also unpopular opinion but I think A sky full of stars is an underated track on an underated album.

ramres likes this.
  2. manoverboard365

Trusted

Ghost Stories is a totally underrated album. Definitely my 3rd favorite Coldplay record, behind Parachutes and Rush of Blood.

But I still think ASFOS is my least favorite song on it ha.

RoKKeR likes this.
  3. RoKKeR

The Fly

Don't agree about SFOS, but do about Ghost Stories. I enjoy that album quite a bit.

4. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I would kill to hear a more straightforward mix of ASFOS where the band actually plays on it. The way the song is now on the record it really just feels like a remix of a song we never got to hear.

5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I love it. It's in my top three but I'd include Mylo Xyloto (instead of Parachutes) as well as Rush of Blood.

I don't mind A Sky Full of Stars either. Not my favourite on the record but not bad at all.

6. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

Ghost Stories is great. ASFOS is a fine pop song in my opinion. It's not something I go back to often, but I have a feeling it will be a good singalong live song. I'll find out in a few weeks.

DejaMoi and awakeohsleeper like this.
  7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Ghost Stories is my favourite Coldplay album and A Sky Full of Stars is my favourite song on there, I love it so much.

8. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Nice dude! Great minds think alike

9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

New EP's out there

DejaMoi likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Ghost Stories is fantastic; "A Sky Full of Stars" is a great single and even better on the album; Mylo is criminally underrated. A Head Full of Dreams is pretty bad, though.

awakeohsleeper, RoKKeR and pbueddi like this.
  11. pbueddi

Trusted

i know some people gave "a sky full of stars" crap compared to what the rest of the album was like, but i really enjoyed the song in context of the entire album. super catchy too.

12. Craig Manning

I always saw it sort of as the rise from the ashes after all those sad songs. And then the closer was sort of the acceptance/moving on song. That album in general just has a great arc.

13. Serh Jul 13, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 2, 2017)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I'll ride with Ghost Stories being underrated, with Midnight maybe being a top 5 song of theirs.

Kaleidoscope EP exceeded my expectations for the most part. Minus SJLT (of course) and the meager Big Sean verse on Miracles, everything about it is different degrees of good. Gotta say, I was pretty worried when the wikipedia page for it called it a companion piece to AHFOD

smowashere likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

AHFOD has a few good songs, but the sequencing is all wrong, and their obsession with interludes is starting to get old.

15. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'd say I love about half of AHFOD?

16. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I think that's fair. Everglow, Adventure of a Lifetime, Fun, and Up & Up are the only stuff I even consider returning to though

17. Craig Manning

The bad songs are also so bad that they really hurt it.

18. manoverboard365

Trusted

The only songs from AHFOD that I don't skip when they come on are Birds and Everglow.

19. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Ghost Stories is far and away my favorite album of theirs and whenever people say they went full blown pop after Viva La Vida I'm convinced they didn't even listen to this album

Craig Manning likes this.
  20. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Really enjoy the EP! Such a solid band

21. RoKKeR

The Fly

This is so true.

But it was worth it for the title track + Up & Up.

Craig Manning likes this.
  22. Colin Your Enthusiasm

I've been avoiding AHFOD because i'm afraid i will hate it. Still haven't heard it but i'll listen to it eventually

23. Craig Manning

Even Mylo is not a "mainstream radio pop" album, or whatever. It's just a slightly poppier Viva.

24. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Please can you elaborate? If an album achieves mainstream success how is it not mainstream radio pop? I've never really understood distinguishing between the two. I agree it's a poppier version of Viva, but where I get lost is when people claim it's not "mainstream radio pop".

What else was number one that year? Lady Gaga (Born This Way), Adele (21), Rihanna (Loud)... Mylo Xyloto might not be an identical "mainstream radio pop" sound (indeed, all three of those number one albums have different elements), but it still fits into that category in my perspective due to 1. mainstream success, 2. radio success, 3. popular music elements underpinning the first two points.

I might be missing something because I live in the UK and the singles from that album were on mainstream radio highly frequently (I still hear them occasionally!) and the album achieved number one here. It did in the US I think as well - but maybe there was less airplay? I have no idea. Apologies if I'm missing the point!

smowashere likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

I basically just mean it's more of an arena rock album with pop crossover appeal. It's not as overtly poppy as AHFOD, where they actively went for a pop sound by working with big pop producers. And it's a rock opera/concept album instead of being a collection of singles.

I also don't think it did as well radio wise as Viva. It was their first album that didn't really have a ubiquitous single. But I was referring more to the sound and structure of the record than to chart performance.

awakeohsleeper likes this.