Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cold War Kids - L.A. Divine (April 7, 2017) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Feb 18, 2017.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

The ban's sixth full length album is out this April!

[​IMG]

EzeRojo likes this.
  2. irthesteve

vidiviciveni likes this.
  3. irthesteve

Both these songs are solid so far, should be a good album

4. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I haven't been a fan of CWK in the past, but this song has one of those instantly classic melodies. Reminds me of "You Get What You Give" by New Radicals for some reason

5. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Definitely exciting. I'm always optimistic that they can make a great album again. Every one of their albums has at least a few songs that rightfully belong on a greatest hits collection, but IMO they haven't pulled it all together as a cohesive, no-drag whole since their debut.

6. irthesteve

I definitely agree that the debut is my favorite, but I also really love Mine Is Yours front to back as well

coleslawed likes this.
  7. Matt Chylak

Yeah, the front half of that album (first 4 songs especially) does exactly what they wanted -- take their sound to an arena level. I think around "Sensitive Kid" it goes off the rails and the quality dips.

If you haven't paid a lot of attention to the last album (Hold My Home), I would definitely recommend giving it another shot. Would consider it tied with MIY for my #2 in their discography.

8. irthesteve

I really like that one as well. I swear to god, this band is "every other" album for me, which doesn't bode well for this next one hah

Matt Chylak likes this.
  9. irthesteve

10. irthesteve

11. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I love their debut album, where do I go from there? Stuff in the vein of We Used to Vacation, especially

12. Matt Chylak

That's a tough one, as their debut is their best album. Honestly, I love their new one and it's probably their best front-to-back record since the debut.

Second album is *most* like the first one in terms of similar sound/songwriting, but the hooks kinda suck and there's some definite filler. It's my least favorite. Third and fifth albums they went for big, more anthemic songs but they lose some of the specificity that made the debut so memorable. Dear Miss Lonelyhearts (album #4) is a concept album that has a cool throwback feel, but there's less of those "big" songs (Saint John, Hang Me Up To Dry, Hospital Beds, Royal Blue, Finally Begin, First, Hear My Baby Call) that make this band so special.

My order:
    Robbers & Cowards
    LA DIVINE
    Mine Is Yours
    Hold My Home
    Dear Miss Lonelyhearts
    Loyalty to Loyalty

coleslawed and CarpetElf like this.
  13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Great to hear this one holds up against their debut. Their debut is dope. The rest of their albums have enough material for a great set but not really anything beyond that.

14. irthesteve

I haven't gotten into this new album yet, but my ranking is identical to you for the rest of the albums.

15. Matt Chylak

I'm honestly so surprised by this one. Haven't felt this refreshed about a band since Hebrews. Coincidentally, also a sixth album.

irthesteve likes this.
  16. Paul Beaumont

Yeah I'm enjoying this album a good amount.

17. irthesteve

Finally got around to this and quite enjoyed it on first listen! Excited to go back through again.

18. Matt Chylak

Does anyone know why Mine Is Yours has been removed from streaming services?

19. irthesteve

The band is releasing a greatest hits/retrospective thing next Friday which will come with a few new tracks, live stuff, rare tracks and demos too.

This Will All Blow Over Time:

Disc 1 – Singles Worked At Radio
    1. Hang Me Up To Dry
    2. We Used To Vacation
    3. Hospital Beds
    4. I've Seen Enough
    5. Something Is Not Right With Me
    6. Louder Than Ever
    7. Royal Blue
    8. Audience of One
    9. Miracle Mile
    10. Lost That Easy
    11. All This Could Be Yours
    12. First

Disc 2 – Songs From All Over The Place
    1. Vacation In Chicago
    2. First (Demo)
    3. Opium Tea
    4. Goodnight Tennessee
    5. Coffee Spoon
    6. Minimum Mistake
    7. In Harmony In Silver
    8. Quiet, Please
    9. Expensive Tastes
    10. Romance Languages #1
    11. Fashionable

Gnarly Charlie likes this.
  20. abw123

Trusted

Anyone heard the new stuff they have put out for this forthcoming album? Seems like a semi sharp left turn to me.

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I find this band kinda dull but boy do I love Complainer. Such an earworm.

22. Matt Chylak

"Waiting For Your Love" is an absolute jam. Love the 80s style.

23. abw123

Trusted

I don't love Complainer but the other new songs were great live last night. Calm Your Nerves was the best, 4th of July also great

24. irthesteve

Looks like they are releasing their new album in 3 installments of 8 songs each, first is out tomorrow

coleslawed likes this.
  25. Matt Chylak

Wait, where did you see that? Super interesting release strategy.