Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Coheed & Cambria Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Horrorca

Trusted

haha you pretty much nailed it, man - exactly what I was trying to convey

interesting how development and influences work... there are no rules and this is an example: starts as original and unique band, decides to transform into an 80's worship band

christsizedshoes likes this.
  2. vidiviciveni

Trusted

The impression I got from that is that they always were a lot more influenced by 80's metal than an album like SSTB would've immediately implied. They seem to have outlier albums, whereas IKS, GA, NWFT and the two Afterman albums don't sound all that dissimilar given the span between them.

3. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

GA felt like a pretty natural progression from IKS

red8ge, beachdude42 and Cameron like this.
  4. MrDaveH

Regular

They choose the poppier, shorter songs as singles because they tend to have better hooks and more mass appeal.
    A lot of their bigger songs like the Crowing, IKS, Flame of Error etc don't necessarily click with most people right away and can take a few listens to really get into.

Radio stations DO NOT like singles that are over 4 minutes. There are obvious exceptions (Tool, Metallica) but those are few and far between.
    When Domino was released, even the shortened version, it got no play on the radio and I even heard DJs ON AIR complain about the song's length before putting it on during it's debut.

beachdude42 and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  5. Horrorca

Trusted

I'll tell you guys this, tho

The Afterman is a jam

6. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

You Got Spirit, Kid should have got some radio love.

truelovewaits and JM95 like this.
  7. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

radical opinion: the afterman records constitute some of their best work, and the color before the sun sucks

chewbacca110 and LuigiPeppercorn like this.
  8. vidiviciveni

Trusted

It's not. It's not even one of Coheed's better ballads. The guitar line just meanders and never really resolves itself, and while Coheed usually uses the orchestra really well, the string section in The Afterman adds nothing.

I'm not in total disagreement with this

9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Descension is almost all killer, Ascension is pretty much all filler.

Color Before the Sun is half cool, half drool.

10. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

loving descension and not liking ascension is among your more incoherent opinions imo

truelovewaits and vidiviciveni like this.
  11. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Ascension/Descension is almost all killer. There's only maybe 1 or 2 songs on there that I don't love.

TCBTS is half and half. Some really high points, but some real lows.

12. Davjs

Trusted

I honestly like everything they've done but YOTBR.

Pepetito, amorningofsleep and Joe4th like this.
  13. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I just feel like they wrote really good songs for Descension and bad ones for Ascension.

14. Horrorca

Trusted

it's subtle (for Coheed's standards) and taps into a very melancholic state, which is a feeling they used to convey in a very unique way originally, and that somehow got lost in the transition into new Coheed

I agree it's not the best orchestra arrangement ever, but it adds a little bit of color which is ok

15. christsizedshoes

Trusted

^ Seriously.

If they're going to make one-dimensional songs that lack the ambition and scope of the early records, I'd easily prefer melodic and atmospheric numbers like The Afterman or Colors/Ghost/Peace to the Mountain over cringy Whitesnake impressions like Mothers of Men.

16. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I don't 100% disagree, but I feel like Evagria is one of the best things they've ever done. Something about that tropical beat just comes out of left field and really works. By the time he sings "From the other side she'll save me" I'm hooked every time.

Personally, give me Wake Up or The Light & The Glass (I'd even take Far) over any of The Afterman/Colors/Ghost - Coheed's slower stuff just hasn't been grabbing me for awhile now.

17. Davjs

Trusted

Mother Superior has always been one of my favorites since the first time I heard it, I know it gets heavier toward the end so not sure if that counts as a straight up slower song but I love it.

18. red8ge

Regular

not a fan of color before the sun but "atlas" still nails me in the fucking gut anytime i hear it

Joe4th likes this.
  19. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Yeah, no doubt, even the softer songs were better on IKS/GA than recent records. "The Light & The Glass" is exhibit A of the type of melancholic-yet-epic atmosphere that really got lost starting with NWFT and the 80s craze.

Still, I tend to find a lot more redeeming in their newer acoustic and slow songs than the ultra-straightforward cock rock like "Mothers of Men" or "The Hard Sell."

20. vidiviciveni

Trusted

The more I analyze stuff this way the more I realize I might not even love this band anymore lol

Still for me, their "greatest hits" album would be like 25-30 tracks long

21. MrDaveH

Regular

I think YOTBR is great and wish they played more than HWAJ off of it, but I understand why they don't.

NWFT is their weakest album to me. That thing takes a nose dive right around Mother Superior (hate the album version, LOVE the original acoustic) then comes back up for air with End Complete only to fall back down again. The Hound still has one of my favorite outros from them.

Afterman was a refreshing return to form (maybe 1 or 2 tracks I don't care about) with the best album ending they've done yet from a narrative standpoint.
    Color Before the Sun would have been an amazing Claudio solo, but ended up being a pretty good Coheed album.

I understand the love of the longer, more diverse tracks like Light and the Glass but from what I've heard those songs are far more difficult to write so I'm fine with only getting a few of them like Gravity's Union every once in a while than ones that are "bleh" like the Afterman b-sides.

Joe4th likes this.
  22. Horrorca

Trusted

The Light & the Glass is beautiful, it made the Good Apollo let down even worse, as it starts so beautifully

23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Oh fuck no Mothers of Men is 10/10 smh

Pepetito, Supernova, MrDaveH and 2 others like this.
  24. MrDaveH

Regular

That and Crossing the Frame are two of Claudio's least favorite songs unfortunately.

25. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

No World For Tomorrow is easily the worst Coheed album. I like maybe two songs off of it. Haha