Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Coheed & Cambria Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 19, 2016.

1. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

coleslawed and Joe4th like this.
  2. devenstonow

Noobie

i love coheed and all, but I can't think of a single band whose fanbase impacts my overall impression of the band as much as Coheed's. Some people are borderline cult-like about this band.

3. Horrorca

Trusted

I can think of a couple that are even more annoying...

Tool would be one

4. MegT585

Trusted

So stoked for this tour announcement tomorrow. Really hoping it comes to upstate ny.

5. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I'm assuming it's both Good Apollo's since v.1 came ou in 05, and 2 in 07.

6. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I think it'll just be 1. None of the teasing they've done has involved 2

7. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I've never subscribed to that rabid level of fanhood either, but if it were to happen to any band, its not all that strange to happen to one who mapped their songs around their own entire fictional universe. There's a lot to get lost in with Coheed's story if you've got absolutely nothing better to do.

It's always been about their music for me.

coleslawed likes this.
  8. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Brand New's fan base is way worse

red8ge, beachdude42, Davjs and 6 others like this.
  9. christsizedshoes

Trusted

I guess I can see the story/comic obsession being a bit offputting, but in terms of just being rabid and cult-like, I never viewed their fanbase as being anything like Tool's. (FWIW, both are among my favorite bands, despite some questionable fans).

10. atlas

Trusted

I wouldn't say Coheed has the cultish-est fan base ever, but I do think they're one of those bands where they're the favorite band of most people who are fans of them at all (guilty as charged)

beachdude42 and amorningofsleep like this.
  11. MrDaveH

Regular

12. bodkins

Trusted

Need vinyl.

13. vidiviciveni

Trusted

One thing I will say is that I feel Coheed often promotes the wrong songs from their albums.

"The Running Free" is one of their worst songs period, while I think both "Feathers" and "The Hound of Blood and Rank" off NWFT could've been great singles.

"Domino", "The Afterman" and "Dark Side of Me" are weaker tracks than "Number City" or "Evagria", IMO.

Again, not a lot stuck with me off of The Colour Before the Sun, but I think "Island" is leagues ahead of "You've Got Spirit Kid".

14. Joe4th

I disagree on that. Running Free is a great single choice, and Feathers was a single as well.

Domino and Dark Side of Me are both excellent, and honestly both were good singles.

Island should've been the lead single without a doubt though.

Pepetito and Larry David like this.
  15. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Phish, Grateful Dead, Umphrey's McGee

16. Larry David

I was hoping that too

17. atlas

Trusted

I was listening to Good Apollo for about the 10 millionth time today and every time I'm still amazed by how layered and ornamented the vocal arrangements are. There's sooooooo much going on but it all comes together so well

18. Davjs

Trusted

I think Running Free was a good choice for a single, its upbeat and whatnot, but I agree its not close to the best song on the album. The only single they've ever released that is the best of the album is Here We Are Juggernaut.

19. Joe4th

Yeah, the singles are very rarely released to be the best song on the album. It's about the radio play, and each song they've had as a single suits radio.

I listened to YOTBR the other day, and man, it's even worse than I remember. There's like three songs on there that I enjoy. Juggernaut, Shattered Symphony, Flame of Error.

Davjs likes this.
  20. christsizedshoes

Trusted

"You Got Spirit" was a really dumb single choice, no doubt.

Earlier choices are mixed, but usually made sense.

"Domino" is the best song they've recorded since 2005, in my book, and easily overshadows everything else on both Aftermans. Probably not radio fodder, but they're a cult band and don't need to bother trying breathlessly to expand into the so-called mainstream these days. "Domino" was exactly the kind of thing their old school fans want and got me to pre-order the record immediately.

Joe4th likes this.
  21. Larry David

Huge letdown for the band. The first album of the story should have been incredible. I remember seeing them live a couple weeks before it came out, and had a bad feeling from the songs I heard. The only songs I really go back to are Juggernaut, Pearl of the Stars, and Far

Joe4th likes this.
  22. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I know I'm in the minority, but I like YOTBR more than I like the Second Stage, or either Good Apollo record. I'd probably consider it even with In Keeping Secrets for my ranking. Pearl Of the Stars, Far, Juggernaut, Broken and Flame of Error are all great.

MrDaveH likes this.
  23. Joe4th

Yeah, it was a mess of an album. I remember listening to a b-side off of the album that was the best song out of those recordings, but the producer didn't like it. I feel like he had a pretty negative influence on that record as a whole. There were some good ideas on that album, that just ended up falling flat.

The YOTBR tour was cool though, seeing them end with 21:13 was awesome

24. Larry David

Yeah they ended with that at that show before the record came out. Also played a surprising amount from Second Stage and In Keeping Secrets. What's the B Side?

25. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Joe Barresi is absolutely awful. He's fucked up albums from a bunch of my favorite bands. Will never understand how he's continued to get work in the industry.