Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Coheed & Cambria Band • Page 13

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 19, 2016.

1. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Today is the day!

I'm getting really excited.

Joe4th likes this.
  2. atlas

Trusted

Out of the 5 times I've seen Coheed last night assuredly was the best. Amazing energy and vibe in the crowd, both bands seemed to really enjoy themselves. The fact they played my all time favorite album in full was just the cherry on top haha. The sound was also much better than their last show at the Aragon last year imo. Not my video but you get the idea.

scottlechowicz and Joe4th like this.
  3. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, that show was amazing. Might be the best show I've been too. One of my favorite records, performed flawlessly and with insane energy.

4. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

With my recent love affair for The Dear Hunters album spanning storyline, I've decided to revisit C&C in chronological order of the story just because I've always loved how batshit crazy it gets but also how dark and emotional and downright MOVING it can be.

YOTBR is better than I remember, SSTB still remains my favorite musically, IKS has my favorite song and is pretty much perfect much like SSTB, Good Apollo IV follows suite as being pretty much perfect and being my favorite as far as progressing the story goes, NWFT is kinda disappointing story-wise (spoiler alert pretty much everyone dies and the universe tears itself apart essentially) but its still great as far as the songs are concerned. The Aftermans are also absolutely wonderful but they feel more like a prologue to the story but still has some neat story moments.

as far as the story goes its fucking batshit at times but it can really tug on the heart strings and has some chill-inducing moments (my personal pick would be the first time we hear Claudio identify himself as The Crowing/Burning Star IV in "Apollo I The Writing Writer") and the universe itself is very interesting. I've read the graphic novels and I love the designs of everything and just how bizarre this world is.

two more of my favorite moments are spoken word dialogs that perfectly contrast the tones of these albums. The first is in The Writing Writer and I didnt realize what Inferno was saying in the background until last night, powerful stuff.

There is no room for mistakes my children,
    For as I have been told, today is the day I die...
    I'm sorry I never played the part as your father,
    From the looks on your faces, it seems that's all you've ever asked.
    It is time for you to go into these world alone, with all my love.
    I'm so sorry, I love you all so very much

Next is in Ten Speed which is humorous as shit and its made even more funny given how intense the instrumental is behind this dialogue. Its also got a dark twist to it and the implications lead to a chilling moment at the end of the album, but just the sheer idea of this guy arguing with his tenspeed bike over killing a character in a story is just perfect C&C to me
    Ten Speed: So are you gonna kill her off?
    The Writer: It's not your decision, I love the character, she stays.
    Ten Speed: The only thing love's done is put you in this position, I say kill her off!
    The Writer: Well, you say plenty of things. And how's that work; you're a bicycle...

this band is just great and i dont care that im rambling

5. red8ge

Regular

that's sick. been a fan for years and never really dived into the story of it, maybe i should give it a shot

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  6. CoffeeEyes17

ill go ahead and warn you its lucid and strange as fuck, the graphic novels help as does the C&C wiki but there are some things that we just flat out dont know because Claudio hasnt figured them out yet haha. We still dont reeeeeally know how it ends, we know the Wilhelm Ryan the main villain is killed by Claudio/The Crowing, and we know that pretty much everyone else is dead or will die. Claudio said that in his head he likes the idea of the character Claudio/The Crowing deciding to "restart" the Heaven Fence/Keywork universe by basically destroying it but thats still up in the air. Aside from that its a pretty neat take on the "chosen one destined to save us all" narrative

coleslawed likes this.
  7. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I've seen theories going around that the new album takes place after NWFT with Ryan in the energy of the Keywork trying to take it over with his army, and Sirius has to be the one to stop him, which would be really cool

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  8. CoffeeEyes17

TCBTS? because that would be cool unintentional as it may be. that would be a neat way to tie Sirius from the Aftermans into the main story since Ryan is pretty easily the most interesting character to me and Sirius is also a really cool take on what is essentially the Architect from the Matrix movies just, yknow, actually good haha

9. drewinseries

Drew

TCBTS is not a part of the Coheed mythos. It is it's own thing, not a concept album, but more personally about Claudio and his move to NYC/starting a family.

vidiviciveni likes this.
  10. CoffeeEyes17

yeah we know its just a fun fan theory. i remember that was the big headline the day it was announced was that it wasnt part of the Amory Wars series haha

drewinseries likes this.
  11. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Well Claudio has said the next record will probably be about Sirius in the events after NWFT, so...

coleslawed and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  12. drewinseries

Drew

I never said that wasn't true?

13. CoffeeEyes17

I really hope we get the NWFT graphic novel soon because I'd love to know just what the fuck is happening at the end. Like, I can kinda follow what's going on up until around Justice In Murder and then I can only assume the confrontation between Ryan and Claudio as well as the rebel army vs TRA is taking place. There's still a lot of things the songs just don't tell us (how Claudio actually wins, who's present at that final battle, what the Prises and other races are doing, what Claudio/The Crowing ultimately does as far as saving the universe [its implied he destroys the Keywork to basically restart the universe but it's not clear] etc) I do like that the final lines are "so long Amory" but I still don't understand the significance of all the "hails!" is. Idk there's just a lot left that's not clear and I'd like to know the details because I'm just a huge nerd for this kind of stuff.

14. Micah511

doesnt he say hail once for each planet in the keywork? thought i remembered reading that somewhere. so it would represent each planet being destroyed.

15. CoffeeEyes17

I just did a quick little search and the "hail for each planet" thing sounded cool but there's more than 57 planets by the end, with 57 being the number of times the word "hail" is said.

One cool theory is that the "hails" are the spirits of the keyword that Ryan imprisioned escaping and pledging their loyalty to Claudio. Seems the The End Complete suite isn't actually the battle itself, that takes place in "Justice In Murder", TEC is basically the process of destroying the Keywork.

coleslawed likes this.
  16. CoffeeEyes17

Another theory is that JIM is the death of Mayo and The End Complete is indeed the final battle between Claudio and Ryan, with "Radio Bye Bye" being Ryan taunting Claudio through an intercom and then battling it out in the following 3 songs. The Brink is Claudios victory and the crowd/rebels/prise/etc start chanting "Hail" to Claudio much like Ryan would make his followers do as a kind of giant middle finger to Ryan, but this causes Claudio to go full Crowing and freak out which destroys the Keywork

17. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Nope, the album that they're working on/will be working on. I'm excited to see the direction they go in, and i hope that's the story direction they decide to roll with.

NWFT is so hard to interpret for me, I really need the comics to hurry up haha

CoffeeEyes17 and coleslawed like this.
  18. Micah511

yeah isnt there 78 planets? probably read that on cobalt back in the day, haha. didnt care enough to check for myself. where are you going to look up the story/fan theories?

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  19. CoffeeEyes17

Yeah there's 78 and then Ryan destroys some of them at one point I believe at the end of SSTB but not enough to make it 57. The Fence is a C&C subreddit I go to and there's a few posts in there of people hypothesizing what's happening in NWFT. The biggest issue is we don't have a novel for NWFT like we do for the other books and Claudio has said he wants to remake Good Apollo before moving on to NWFT but we don't know when that will be :/

20. CoffeeEyes17

Ok that's what I thought you meant but wasn't sure haha.

Yeah it's reeeeally unclear what's happening at the very end. The first couple songs seem to be detailing a battle speech and preparing for the final fight, Feathers is Claudio lamenting on Newo and Ambellina, Mother Superior is the ghost of C&C visiting Claudio to inspire him, then after that it just becomes muddy

Joe4th likes this.
  21. Micah511

Yeah I've read the YOTBR book, graphic novel for SSTB and IKS, and the old good apollo about 10 years ago, so i have a general idea of whats going on, just dont know much about NWFT like basically everyone else.

22. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Any word on if some sort of film adaptation is still taking place? I remember hearing that mark wahlberg was attached to produce a few years ago..not sure how valid that is. Sorry if it's been mentioned above, I'm on mobile.

23. drewinseries

Drew

I haven't heard anything. Imagine it's either in development hell or not happening.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  24. Micah511

i think it was under a group that had mark wahlberg involved in some level, but claudio said on a podcast that it fizzled out. hopefully something happens, but there isnt anything in the works currently.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  25. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks for the clarification. I feel like the scale would have to be huge to do it justice.