Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Coheed & Cambria Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 19, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Coheed and Cambria is an American progressive rock band from Nyack, New York, formed in 1995. The band consists of Claudio Sanchez (lead vocals, guitar, keyboards), Travis Stever (guitar, backing vocals), Josh Eppard (drums, keyboards), and Zach Cooper (bass). The group's music incorporates aspects of progressive rock, pop, heavy metal, and post-hardcore.

Most of Coheed and Cambria's albums are concept albums based on a science fiction storyline called The Amory Wars, a series written by Claudio Sanchez, which has been transcribed into a series of comic books as well as a full-length novel. The band has released eight studio albums, three live albums, and several special-edition releases. Their most recent release, The Color Before the Sun, is the band's first non-conceptual album since their inception. It reached #10 on the Billboard 200 while its predecessors The Afterman: Descension; Year of the Black Rainbow and Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness all reached the top 10.

I'm currently writing a retrospective review for SSTB because it's flawless and one of my all time favorites.

Dirty Sanchez and coleslawed like this.
  2. After missing their shows or getting skipped on tour routing for near a decade, I was set to see them perform at SXSW the other day. I ran (yes, ran—rare) 1.5 miles to get into the venue in time. As soon as I arrived they cleared the venue for lightning. They ushered us to 3 different locations just to cancel the event entirely. I must have awful luck.

Coheed is my favorite band.

3. Deathco_019

Drummer

Can't say I'm nearly as into then as I used to be, but those first three albums and the Afterman are tight.

Jacob Tender likes this.
  4. That about sums it up. There are great songs on 'No World' and 'YOTBR', but I think most agree they aren't the strongest records.

5. Deathco_019

Drummer

I think No World For Tomorrow (the song), Here We Are Juggernaut, and Far are great songs but that's about it.

There are a small handful of good songs on both albums, but I think they're cluttered with a lot of mediocre or bad songs, plus YOTBR's production is dreadful.

6. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

Awesome band both live and on record.

7. CoffeeEyes17

I dont think this band will ever write a song as good as "Everything Evil" or "Junesong Provision" or "Elf Tower New Mexico". SSTB was such a magical time. I find something to love in all their records for sure, but man SSTB is a special kind of album.

Dirty Sanchez and Dan O'Neill like this.
  8. Deathco_019

Drummer

I think they wrote several on IKS and the Afterman, but SSTB is a strong album. I saw them play SSTB from front to back in 2011 and that was an amazing show.

9. CoffeeEyes17

I completely disagree, I love those albums but SSTB is on a different level. "Welcome Home" would be one that I'd consider as good as SSTB.

10. Deathco_019

Drummer

HOMIE

IKS has the title track, Three Evils, The Crowing, 21:13. And the Afterman has Domino, Evagria, Gravity's Union, and 2's My Favorite 1.

It's alright tho, this band has a lot of great songs. My favs from SSTB are Time Consumer, Everything Evil, and Delirium Trigger.

coleslawed and Dan O'Neill like this.
  11. CoffeeEyes17

"Welcome Home" and "The Crowing" are the only songs I'd consider on par with SSTB but that's just me.

for me it's just the most consistent. I can listen to it front to back and not want to skip a single song. The others have at least one I want to skip.

12. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Tragic they ever stopped closing with "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth". That was a transcendent way to end a show

13. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I decided this morning that I'll throw down the money to go see them. Sounds fun to hang out in the balcony and watch the show.

Well, it was last night lol. Oops.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  14. demandtheimpossible

Resident Anti-Capitalist

Saw them in Dallas, loved them as usual.

Claudio is one of the most down to earth front men I have ever experienced.

15. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Sub a dub dub

16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The best band

17. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

I liked their latest album 10x more than I was expecting I would

JM95 likes this.
  18. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

This band is the most simultaneously overrated and underrated band of all time, I think. I'm probably in the minority here, but the YOTBR - Afterman - TCBTS stretch is my favorite part of the band's career. Love all those albums so much.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  19. atlas

Trusted

20. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Descension is the best.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  21. SpyKi

I don't really like those songs much, haha. "Devil in Jersey" and "Time Consumer" are the only songs on that album I really love. I love them to death though. "Welcome Home" is one of my least favourite's on GA1 though so we clearly have different tastes when it comes to this band. "2's My Favourite 1" is my favourite Coheed song.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  22. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I don't know if the band will ever top it honestly, it's so good.

23. SpyKi

I doubt they will. It fits my tastes perfectly, I even love the story to it.

Dan O'Neill and Benjamin Lee like this.
  24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

In Keeping Secrets>

25. atlas

Trusted

Good Apollo is my favorite album of all time. Super excited for the tour for that album, whenever it will be.