Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Coheed and Cambria - Vaxis - Act I: The Unheavenly Creatures (October 5, 2018) Album • Page 68

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

this is just that live version Claudio posted on YouTube, but it's still cool to have.

2. atlas

Trusted

Toys is still one of the best songs ever

as you were

3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

time to listen to this album again

atlas and waking season like this.
  4. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Toys slaps harder in the car than pretty much anything else

5. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Josh’s vocals in the bridge give me chills every time. I can just picture him grinning his ass off shouting along with Claudio.

6. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

I may have spent 160 bucks on a front row center VIP ticket to the St. Pete show. I've always wanted to do it, might as well do it in a gorgeous intimate seated venue with killer support.

theagentcoma likes this.
  7. Micah511

Astronoid is sick, this is awesome.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

That's a sick lineup

9. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Good for Astronoid. Amazing lineup for them to join up on.

10. Micah511

This album is clicking today. I think it's finally time that I can start thinking about this as it sits in their discog and not just as the new shiny Toy.

I do wonder if they could employ a couple things to make songs hit a little harder. I wonder if they had left out the "I'm alone, watch me float" part out of the first chorus. It would've made it hit much harder the 2nd and 3rd choruses.

waking season and red8ge like this.
  11. atlas

Trusted

Love this record. A firm #4 in their catalog behind the first 3 for me, hasn't worn off at all even a year later. The replay value is insane

12. drewinseries

Drew

I think there is a combined album between both Afterman's that beats this as a whole, but it is up there.

Pepetito and sukottokairu like this.
  13. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

It’s my third favorite. It surpassed SSTB for me. Just a truly incredible album.

vidiviciveni and drewinseries like this.
  14. socklord

Trusted

This is my second favorite album from them right behind IKS. I love it a ton and think it’s one of their most memorable albums.

Joe4th likes this.
  15. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

the one flaw this album has, and it almost seems like a direct response to Color Before the Sun, is that often times the songs are just a little too self-indulgent structure wise, which is understandable since it's their first self-produced album. some songs repeat the chorus a bit too much, or spend a little too much time in verses. hopefully next album they'll be just a little better at realizing when things can have more impact by being repeated less.

sawhney[rusted]2 and Micah511 like this.
  16. socklord

Trusted

The Afterman albums were also self-produced, I’m pretty sure

Cameron likes this.
  17. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Michael Birnbaum and Chris Bittner did some work on them too but mostly self produced.

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Self indulgent...in Coheed is just prog rock my brotha.

Album is still GOAT, and I can’t wait to revisit it this weekend. It’s been too long.

19. socklord

Trusted

Coheed is barely even prog rock anymore. I just don’t find anything about the songs or album to be “self indulgent.” In fact, they were far more self indulgent on their earlier records than they have been recently

Joe4th and vidiviciveni like this.
  20. Micah511

I think Black Sunday is pretty progressive. Starts one place, then has a cool bridge, then an ending that sounds totally different than the beginning of the song. But yeah, most of this is pretty standard from a structuring standpoint. Nothing wrong with that!

21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Black Sunday is sooo good.

22. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

It's not self-indulgent in a prog-rock way, it's a self-indulgence in "hey there's the chorus for the sixth time" way. Love the album, but some tracks (night-time walkers and the pavilion in particular) drag out a little too long without enough substance to justify it

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Na Nightime Walkers is probably my favorite

Joe4th likes this.
  24. vidiviciveni

Trusted

It’s a little tricky when one of your old favorite prog/alternative/emo bands becomes just a rock band, but rarely do they become a rock band this fucking good

25. socklord Oct 25, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 25, 2019)
    socklord

Trusted

That’s not really a prog rock thing though. Prog rock is typically a lot of weird time signatures and song structures. An outro that does not repeat the earlier choruses is fairly standard these days. I mean, hell, Taking Back Sunday has plenty of songs that are verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/outro and they definitely aren’t a prog rock band.

I’d argue that Coheed hasn’t been a prog rock band in a long time. I think their first three albums had elements of prog rock, especially GA1, but, since then, I think they’ve just been an alt rock band with some prog rock flourishes.

I don’t listen to much prog rock anymore tbh because it does tend to be a little too self-indulgent for me, but if I want to listen to a prog rock band, like straight up weird prog rock, I’m gonna go with The Mars Volta.