Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Code Orange - Underneath (March 13, 2020) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jan 9, 2020.

1. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

the last minutee of this puts the stupidest grin on my face every time

2. tvck

Trusted

It's so fucking good. They just go off

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  3. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

speechless how good it is.

4. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I still really love Shade surrouded by keyboards.

coleslawed and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  5. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

That was fucking something. Video is incredibly well done too

6. abcdefg123

Regular

I really wish I liked this. It just makes me want an Adventures album instead.

swboyd and flask like this.
  7. dandownunder

The most exciting band in heavy music right now.
    The new song is awesome.

Borat 2: Vengeance and Micah511 like this.
  8. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Based on other corners of the internet it seems it’s cool to hate on this band now, but you certainly couldn’t accuse them of playing it safe. New song is stupidly heavy.

Blainer93 and riotspray like this.
  9. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

The internet thinks their live presence is too “tough” but they 100% deserve that moniker, always put everything they have into every show

10. bedwettingcosmo

enjoying watching reaction vids on youtube and knowing im not the only one with the shit eating grin on my face. this record gonna be special.

11. JM95

Trusted

Wasn't sure after the first song but this one really has me pumped again for this record.

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

guess i should give them another chance. haven't really been into it since they dropped the Kids

kyle likes this.
  13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

Borat 2: Vengeance likes this.
  14. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Based on what I've seen, there's a few different schools of thought towards the criticism.

If people are complaining about them being too tough live, hardcore has had bands cosplay toughness as long as the genre has existed. Ditto towards hardcore kids who are bitter they're moving away from an entirely hardcore sound. Bands change their sound all the time, and you don't have to listen. The singles from this album aren't any different than they should have expected based on the band's career trajectory.

Now where I do think there's some valid criticism is some of the backlash that Jami got from the interview he did with Kerrang around the time the first single came out. I think the headline speaks pretty well, but you can dig into the interview for some further context:

Code Orange: "Our New Record Is More Relevant Than Anything That’s Coming Out In Rock And Metal This Year" — Kerrang!

If we're talking about the mainstream, I could see how you could make that argument. A lot of mainstream rock/metal has stagnated over the last decade. If we're talking about underground heavy music, there's a bunch of bands doing things that are just as relevant as Code Orange. Heck, they've got a couple of them on tour with them on their headliner in the spring (Show Me The Body, Jesus Piece). I could see how that would rub a lot of people the wrong way depending on where you're coming from when reading this.

For the record, I'd love for them to put their money where Jami's statement suggests. The new song is my favorite of theirs they've put out since I Am King so I'm more hyped for this record than I was Forever.

sawhney[rusted]2 and riotspray like this.
  15. phaynes12

is this band really big enough to place them on the “mainstream” level though?

16. cherrywaves

Trusted

They’re getting there

riotspray and phaynes12 like this.
  17. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

they're opening for slipknot on a summer run and on roadrunner. i'd say so.

riotspray likes this.
  18. JM95

Trusted

Grammy nominated too.

Borat 2: Vengeance and riotspray like this.
  19. That still blows me away

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  20. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I think it’s great bands that are getting more popular are giving more attention to the hardcore scene. Good for Code Orange. They have a vision and they are in it and being successful at what they do.

coleslawed, riotspray and TheBaroness like this.
  21. phaynes12

i mean, i wasn’t trying to be rude haha. that rules.

riotspray and Drew Beringer like this.
  22. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Way prefer the first single tbh. This ones boring

23. bedwettingcosmo

wtf. this is hella wrong!

24. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I'm still not a big fan of the production on the tracks so far. Makes them feel smaller (that's the only word I could think of to describe it).

25. cherrywaves

Trusted

Someone else in the thread alluded to the guitars not having enough bite and I think that’s spot on. I think the Ballou/Yip partnership was really helpful. That moment at 2:45 when they bring back the main riff could sound so mean