Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Code Orange - Underneath (March 13, 2020) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jan 9, 2020.

1. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like this is one of those bands where the people who hate it really fucking hate it. Which is a shame cause they're one of the more interesting big metal bands.

2. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I think the problem is that they are a big metal band, which they haven’t always been.

3. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

so this is the lead single AND the album closer? what a weird release strategy

sean_rugy and Leftandleaving like this.
  4. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I will say though, I am loving mad scientist Shade.

5. Micah511

Raskulinecz co producing with Yip is kind of wild, I wonder what that means exactly.

6. Forever made them a big metal band and this isn’t way out of line from the stuff on that record - they’ve always had an industrial fear factory nin type-o influence on their hardcore

7. Micah511

I agree with you, and I enjoy Forever the most out of their full lengths. What I was saying is that it seems that people who don't like Code Orange now are probably people who listened to their early full lengths and don't like this new "big metal band" direction. That's a shallow explanation of what's going on here, but I think you know what I mean.

Drew Beringer likes this.
  8. cherrywaves

Trusted

Little bummed Ballou isn’t involved

9. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Stabbing Westward actually released a pretty decent EP last week:

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  10. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

This. This band needs Kurt and the last EP was proof of that.

11. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

read through this thread thinking y'all were talking about blood orange. really weird experience lol.

12. I totally get what you’re saying and I also initially misread the tone of your original post

Micah511 likes this.
  13. JM95

Trusted

Reba sounds fucking great. Not feeling the song though, three listens in.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  14. JM95

Trusted

Yeah I can hear that comparison a bit.

15. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Surprised at some of the negative reactions. Feel like this isnt THAT much of a stretch from Bleeding in the Blur.

I dig it, but I also wish they brought Ballou back...

16. JM95

Trusted

You're right, it isn't stylistically. I personally just don't think it's anywhere near as good.

17. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I was not a big fan of Bleeding in the Blur.

sawhney[rusted]2 and cherrywaves like this.
  18. Good for them for trying something new. I’m not 100% into it but I’ll still give the album a spin.

19. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Good on them for finally going full Nine Inch Nails. I'm not surprised they decided to go in this direction after Forever. Definitely not my thing at all, but I'll give the album a cursory listen because there will hopefully still be some decent parts to it. At least it's not as spastic as some of the previous tracks from them which felt like a bunch of sections cut and paste together at times.

riotspray likes this.
  20. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

“‘Underneath’ is the first piece of the puzzle that is our most subversive, intense and vicious record to date,” Morgan tells Rolling Stone. “It’s a cathartic moment in an extremely psychologically disturbing journey. This song cracks opens the door to a central theme of the record: duality of self in a noisy, overcrowded, overstimulated society. It displays a few of the tools we have at our disposal, and we felt it would jar both fans of ours and those who have never heard us. At the end of the day, that’s what we are about: disruption. down. we. go."

21. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

I’m all about this. Assume the record will be diverse with a good mix of stuff. I feel like Code Orange is on the cusp of being a big band, even though they get tons of press and play big festivals with a big label they haven’t got there yet. Need to convert that to a bigger crowd and I think this song does that well, but I know the band is going to do whatever they want anyway. Sounds kind “Only One Way” mixed with “The Mud.”

22. flask

Trusted Supporter

You can try something new/expand your sound and still strike out which is what I feel like they’ve done ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

23. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I honestly don’t know if I hate this or kinda like it. I could be swayed maybe? I think a lot of that will depend on album context so I’m not going to count this one out just yet

24. Bane

The spiciest meme

4 listens in and it's actually grown on me even more from my default of digging it lol, the only thing I might say is that maybe they rely on the chorus a bit harder than they should but I like the chorus lol, Reba's voice is nice to me so I really don't mind

coleslawed and Nate_Johnson like this.
  25. cherrywaves

Trusted

Same.

I like how they had Adventures as an outlet for their melodic tendencies. They're clearly good songwriters, but I don't necessarily listen to this band for big rock anthems

amorningofsleep likes this.