Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Coco (Lee Unkrich, 2017) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Thought it was very good. It's not up there with something like Inside Out or Kubo, but it's a hard film to not enjoy. Characters are great and the story is rarely any less than solid. It's admittedly missing something that some of the top shelf Pixar films have, and there's a reveal in the middle that I saw coming immediately, but those are the only flaws I could see. Agree with it being mid-tier Pixar, but that's not a bad thing to me. It's somewhere above Finding Dory and below Monsters Inc in the pecking order

Other than that, animated movie of the year. I'll likely see it again before it leaves theaters

Henry and jkauf like this.
  3. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Gorgeous and really enjoyed it, right below their top tier stuff.

4. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Wonder how the Lasseter developments are gonna affect this movie at the box office

5. radiodead

Trusted

My guess is very little.

Can’t wait to see this, hopefully this weekend.

6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Loved this

Serh likes this.
  7. Anthony_ Nov 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 5, 2018)
    Anthony_

For as sort-of standard as the actual plot itself was, this thing was a visual marvel. So much creativity poured into the design of the afterlife here. It's just incredible the way CG animation has progressed since Toy Story. Can't really say enough how cool it was.

Thematically I thought it was very strong, and it tackled some concepts that I really respect it for addressing in a family film: death, legacy, celebrity, memory, the afterlife, it was all handled pretty well. Also that Anthony Gonzalez kid was great in the lead role. Hopefully he has a bright career ahead of him.

8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

radiodead and Contender like this.
  9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

No surprise, but this is doing really well, taking the no. 1 spot away from Justice League with ease

Also, to everyone else who saw this, apparently there was a Frozen animated short? How was that? Seems like I lucked out by not having it at my screening

10. The Frozen short was fine, I guess. I've never seen the movie so I haven't been overexposed to those characters the way that it seems a lot of my friends have. I thought it had some funny bits and good music, but it was twice as long as a pre-feature short should be. That made me glad I saw this at the local theater that only shows one or two trailers max and not the AMC always shows at least five.

Coco, however, was great. It checked all of the boxes I want from a Pixar movie - beautiful visuals, wonderful characters, really nice story. The last 10 minutes had me tearing up way more than I expected.

I also loved how detailed and accurate the animation of the guitar playing was.

11. Dog with a Blog

It was like twenty-five minutes! Also, I know it's just a cartoon, but I was frustrated by how little sense it made. The whole premise of the short is that Elsa and Anna are sad they don't have a family tradition on Christmas, so Olaf goes out to find them a new one. The bulk of the short follows Olaf on his ultimately pointless adventure, and at the end of it the sisters are in their attic and they find a box that houses all these Olaf drawings/creations that they made throughout the years and are like, "ohhh yeahhhhh, we do have a tradition!" It then cuts to a montage of them on Christmas from when they were kids to when they were adults, making these Olaf crafts and giving them to each other, saying how it was like the one thing that kept them together. So you're telling me they had this tradition that was literally their only form of bonding throughout their entire life and then just magically forgot? I don't buy it.

12. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

The Frozen short was ridiculous, especially after a standard set of trailers. Just give me a Pixar short before, please.

Anthony_ likes this.
  13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Amazing movie, so heartfelt

14. alextisonfire

https://soundcloud.com/beerherepodcast Supporter

LOVED this movie. My favorite Disney/Pixar movie since Up. The last 15 minutes were waterfalls of tears.

15. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

IS the frozen short really that bad? Or is it just the length people are so pissed about?

16. Dog with a Blog

Mainly the length. It’s no worse than a Saturday morning cartoon I guess, just more songs. I mean, it’s super dumb, but I’ve seen worse things, and I really dislike Frozen.

17. Dog with a Blog

My movie was scheduled to start at 10pm and because of trailers and the short it didn’t start until 10:40

18. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

the frozen short is weird because it’s going to be on actual tv in a few weeks.

real talk though I cried so much during coco and so many moments I could relate with.

I really hope this movie does well and I’m already planning another trip to watch it.

19. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Does this break out into song a lot?

20. Anthony_

I would've really preferred a standard Pixar short before this. Honestly it was weird to not get one. I always look forward to their shorts so getting a 1/2-hour Frozen cartoon instead was a little disappointing.

jkauf likes this.
  21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

There was originally supposed to be a short, but late in the game they swapped to the Frozen short, don't know why

22. Anthony_

$$$

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  23. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

smh Disney not believing the Mexicans will watch a movie

WE SUPPORT EVERYTHING involving our culture

storm, Contender and Bloodsucker II like this.
  24. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Not really