Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival Festival • Page 60

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I am tempted to grab a ticket and go too but it would depend on if my friend actually ends up going too. The lineup is just that good.

2. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Excited to be going

3. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

4. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

5. CobraKidJon

6. Ben Buchnat

Whatever. Forever.

Gonna be fun yall!

7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I seriously can't stop thinking about just being at Coachella then boom Lana Del Rey plays a set and then bam an hour later Frank Ocean is on stage

8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I hope they do RTJ into Rage instead of Calvin Harris into Rage. 90% sure they'll have Calvin close out the Sahara, but still

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

How does this usually shake out. I looked at a couple of the past lineups vs. schedule and it seems like the first name under the headliner typically but not always plays before the main stage? Is that fair? I'd agree RTJ -> RATM makes the most sense though.

10. irthesteve

90% of the time the second billed plays main stage right before headliner does. There have been some specific times they didn't (Jack White didn't want to play last on his night because he would have been head to head with some heavy EDM, I forget who.) Also there have been a couple dual headliners(Blur/Stone Roses, Strokes/Kanye). And I am sure there are more instances you can find, but yeah... 90% of the time it's that

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  11. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

God I'm so hyped right now so I'm sorry if I'm just spamming at this point but I'm going to share who i am the most hyped about

Friday: Rage Against the Machine obviously, Run the Jewels should be a great time, Brockhampton, Charli baby, Pup, Madeon, and Beach Bunny

Saturday: Flume, Carly Rae, Koffee (just listened the last couple days and she sounds so fun), Mannequin Pussy, and yes probably 100 Gecs (honorable mention to Beach Goons)

Sunday: other than Frank and Lana, I'm super excited for Doja Cat (Won't Bite is all I listen to now). Daniel Caesar should be cool too, and I'm starting to fall into the FKA Twigs hype. Also Marina songs keep popping up on shuffle and everytime I'm look who is this I love it so I guess her too

irthesteve likes this.
  12. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I feel like Calvin would agree to pave billed like that knowing he’d closing out Sahara. I mean there’s probably little overlap between the two fan bases.

irthesteve likes this.
  13. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

What even is a Calvin Harris show like. I've never really gone to a DJ that has like several full-on top 40 hits. I think the biggest I've seen in terms of cross-over success is Alesso (and the Chainsmokers but before Closer).

Idk why it sounds so weird to me. I guess I'm just imagining that it turns more into him playing his songs than like playing a set but maybe that's not right.

14. irthesteve

I saw him at the last two Coachellas he was at. He's fine and entertaining but extremely straightforward and not inventive

15. CobraKidJon

he’ll probably only play like one song off funk wavs which is unfortunate

16. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Those are my two fears exactly

17. CobraKidJon

I just looked at Calvin Harris set history and he legitimately ignores Funk Wavs existing which is wild.

18. irthesteve

Well the last time he played, the album wasn't out yet, so there's hope.

Also there's a big chance he's at the same time as RTJ and I don't see him anyway

19. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I know it’s really rare but I kinda see the main going RTJ -> Rage -> Calvin Harris

20. irthesteve

The only issue with that is no one else on the second line could really close Sahara that night

21. irthesteve

this lineup is fuckin WILD

22. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

It seriously is. I think I'm having a quarter life crisis because I have fully committed to Bonnaroo as well (I mean like I don't have a ticket yet but I am going). I love how different it is from Coachella. Like there is a common ground area, but outside of that they went opposite directions so it feels worth doing both.

That Friday is one of the most stacked days of a fest I've ever seen (and I say that as someone who has literally no interest whatsoever in Tool)

irthesteve likes this.
  23. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Seeing Lizzo headline makes me think about how wild it is that I saw her play in a tent last Coachella

Mary V and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  24. irthesteve

The whole Lizzo trajectory has been unbelievable, she deserves it all though

25. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Maybe it's just me but I feel like fests are getting a little bolder in terms of who they deem headliner level and they've been better for it. It's just so much more exciting to see Lizzo or Frank or Tame Impala get their shot at headlining rather than just Foo Fighters and RHCP and the Killers headlining another festival for the 1,000th time each. I like those bands but they just don't really get me excited.

But maybe this is always how festivals have gotten new headliners and it's just that now I've watched them grow a little more.

One band I really think is going to get up there is Portugal. the Man. If they nail the next album, I think they start ending up at the top.