Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival Festival • Page 57

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Rage, CRJ, and RTJ are the only ones I'd be interested in seeing. I don't think I know 7/8 of the other artists on the lineup, haha.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

yeah, that's the weekend I'm going ya fuckin nerd

3. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I swear Mikey said you are going weekend 1

4. irthesteve

yeah but he's a fuckin liar so who do you trust

5. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

6. irthesteve

MUST SEE:

Rage, RTJ, Rex Orange County, Brockhampton, Madeon, Charli XCX, Kim Petras
    Flume, Thom Yorke, Carly, Emo Nite
    Frank Ocean, Mura Masa, Denzel Curry, Doja Cat

WANT TO SEE:

Big Sean, TNGHT, Tokimonsta, NIKI, PUP, Amber Mark
    Disclosure, Freddie Gibbs, MIKA, Steve Lacy, Sasha Sloan
    Lana Del Rey, Daniel Cesar, fka twigs, Louis the Child, Conan Gray, Bishop Briggs, Big Wild, Noname, Emotional Oranges, Channel Tres

this is, of course, before any deeper dives into the lineup

digitalbath and ComedownMachine like this.
  7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I mean I’m like 80% going at this point just trying to finalize details. And I will definitely come ready to party

Mary V and irthesteve like this.
  8. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

definitely add fka twigs to your must see. I was only kinda into her when I saw her at camp flog gnaw and it was the best show I saw in 2019

9. irthesteve

my buddy saw her show a month or so ago and said the same thing, he was blown away. I just gotta get more into her before the fest, which should be relatively easy

10. CobraKidJon

I stan FKA Twigs now so yes me and Mikey were in aw

irthesteve likes this.
  11. CobraKidJon

12. emojedi

Trusted

so tempted to go to this because i'm not sure if BigBang or Rage are going to be coming close to Toronto. so damn tempted.

13. CobraKidJon

what about duck sauce

14. Lana should be headlining over Frank or Travis IMO

15. irthesteve

LOL, in no world does she headline over Travis Scott at all. Frank you have a bit more of an argument from a certain standpoint, but Coachella 100% is correct is booking Frank as a headliner over her

16. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

You need to add Weyes Blood and Beach Bunny to your list. Both incredible artists playing this year!

17. irthesteve

I really can't get into Weyes Blood, I've tried a few times and I just don;t get it I guess. I don't think I know Beach Bunny, so I'll check it out

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  18. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Agreed with Steve. I adore Lana, but Travis is definitely the "bigger" artist and will pull in way more casual fans. Frank and Lana are a more similar level, but it's not hard to see Lana. She does the full festival circuit like every other year, and tours a decent amount in between. Frank is next to impossible to see.

digitalbath likes this.
  19. CobraKidJon

with no evidence to him being there a crowd just booed drake the arguably top current artist off stage for frank lol

irthesteve and Drew Beringer like this.
  20. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm so glad it's not just me on Weyes Blood. I did not enjoy her (them?) at all when she opened for Father John Misty, then with all the hype around the new album I gave it a chance and it's still a no from me.

Beach Bunny is sick though (and some of the members are from my high school which is cool)

irthesteve likes this.
  21. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Boo Weyes Blood rules

22. 2. We need to talk about Frank Ocean and Lana Del Rey. Frank Ocean and Lana Del Rey both emerged around the same time. They have both had pop-chart flirtations, and they have both built themselves up as great singer-songwriters. They both interact with the music of their great ’70s forebears while coming across as extremely right-now. They both empathetically and eloquently capture a certain languid, apocalyptic Californian jet-set ennui. They both have stage names that have something to do with the sea. They are both great. They both have histories of being awkward and boring live. And they are both playing on Sunday night. But one is headlining, and the other is not.

Frank Ocean is headlining. Unless he adds some more shows, it will be Ocean’s first proper set in nearly three years. His album Blonde will be nearly four years old by then. He has spent the intervening time releasing one-off singles, throwing vaguely controversial dance nights, and giving occasional elusive interviews where he mostly talks about, like, some fancy vest.

Lana Del Rey, meanwhile, has been playing tons of shows, developing her live presence, and releasing increasingly excellent music, including the single best album of 2019. Del Rey clearly cares about Californian iconography in general and Coachella in particular. She put out a (great) song with the actual title “Coachella – Woodstock In My Mind.” (Frank Ocean has sung about Coachella, too, but he didn’t name a song after it.) Del Rey clearly wants it! She should headline!

Now: It seems very likely that Frank Ocean will have new music out sometime this year. Maybe he’ll even have that club-ready album that people have been speculating about for years. Maybe he’s got bangers. Maybe he’s got a new-decade Pet Shop Boys album in the works. And maybe he’s been developing a live show to match. I hope so! That would rule!

But as it now stands, Lana Del Rey — who is now a seasoned performer and who clearly cares about creating live-show moments that would come off really cool at Coachella — is on the bill underneath Frank Ocean, who seems likely to turn his set into some kind of self-mythologizing art project. (This is, after all, what he was doing the last time festivals brought him in to headline.) This, to me, is dumb. For one thing, it means we’re getting another year of all-male Coachella headliners. They’re still doing that! They should stop doing that! For another, Lana Del Rey is better than Frank Ocean. Search your heart. You know it to be true.

Thoughts On The 2020 Coachella Poster

Mary V likes this.
  23. irthesteve

Yeah, I read that article too Drew.

24. irthesteve

Yeah, I read that article too Drew.

25. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm conflicted on that. Frank hasn't done anything in a while and Lana has so I see where people think she should headline over him and I totally get it. However, I think "legacy" comes into play here, because, if someone like Daft Punk were to play (having not released any music since 2013) they would probably still be an instant headliner.