Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cloverfield Movie • Page 17

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by screamoutmyname, Apr 5, 2016.

1. manoverboard365

Trusted

I honestly like the idea of how the movies are connected, but it was just poorly executed.

Honestly when I first saw Cloverfield in 2008 the first theory I had was that it came from an alternate dimension, only because I had just watched The Mist a few months earlier.

2. Welp, I really enjoyed this. Great cast, great score, some cool and wacky sci-fi/horror stuff happening, which I wish they would've played around more with 'cause I like the idea of dimensions clashing with each other. Unfortunately, the sub-plot with the husband on Earth felt mostly unnecessary since it was so vague what was happening, and the main plot felt predictable as far as what was gonna happen to the characters and who was gonna turn on who, etc.

Maybe it's a cheap way to explain the Cloverfield universe, but I'm cool with a particle accelerator ripping the fabric of time and space and unleashing things into different dimensions at different times. It gives Abrams/Bad Robot more freedom to play with cool ideas without having to worry to much about connectivity.

ScreenCrush put out a nice rundown of all the connections and easter eggs between the movies.

Aaron Mook and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

4. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

5. manoverboard365

Trusted

The budget for this was something around $45 million though. Paramount is just about breaking even.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  6. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I recall two Super Bowl ads, so up to ~$10 million in marketing budget. Given the number of eyes on it during the Super Bowl, I'd say that is an extremely efficient ad spend.

7. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

primavera likes this.
  8. My hot take: people complaining that the disembodied arm doesn't make sense must hate the Evil Dead universe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The editing and character-building in this were definitelyflawed, but I still had a lot of fun. Loved the multiverse stuff and the homages to Event Horizon and the Philadelphia experiment. I also appreciated that it wasn't incredibly dark. I think it's very silly how some people are dissecting this as if they need concrete evidence to prove it's a Bad Film™ rather than simply not enjoying it

domotime2 and Garrett L. like this.
  9. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

the arm reminded me more of Thing from addams family, in the sense that it's a lovable scamp, getting into mischief but also with a heart...or something...instead of trying to kill its owner, like ash

RyanPm40 likes this.
  10. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Are people really complaining about the arm? I thought it was one of the few interesting parts of the movie

BirdPerson likes this.
  11. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Evil Dead and The Addams Family aren’t based in sci fi though. Was there a benevolent space ghost possessing his hand?

12. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

the problem is more that the comic relief ended up being the best part of the film, instead of just the relief

13. Some of the comic relief seemed poorly timed to me. Like, when the Russian dude dies and throws up all the worms and Chris O'Dowd goes 'Well, we found the worms!' I rolled my eyes so hard ha.

RyanPm40 and trevorshmevor like this.
  14. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Especially considering that was seemingly his best friend of the crew

fenway89 likes this.
  15. I mean, this was a movie about multiverses and interdimensional monsters. I don't agree that science fiction is or has to be any more logical than horror.

16. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I never saw the first 2 but I watched this one the other day. I liked it a lot and I'm not really a sci-fi person. I did however complain that some things (like the arm) didn't make sense so I chuckled when I saw it mentioned on the first page I read in this thread hah

17. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

If this entire movie was crawling arms and dudes puking worms it'd be 99% better. Instead it tries to be clever and serious and fucking botches it

Zilla and RyanPm40 like this.
  18. jmwhit04

May Your Music Break My Eardrums Prestigious

Wikipedia says Donal Logue's character is related to John Goodman's character from 10CL. Huh.

fenway89 and trevorshmevor like this.
  19. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Yeah same last name. I noticed that too

fenway89 and RyanPm40 like this.
  20. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

maybe the worst movie i’ve ever seen. high amount of entertainment. can’t wait for the how did this get made episode

fenway89 and RyanPm40 like this.
  21. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I didn't even find it very entertaining. Caught myself looking at my phone every now and then lol

22. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

Definitely a bit off on pieces of the storyline and logic, but, hell, I enjoyed watching the movie. I hope the future films make more sense, but I do enjoy that they can really change it up film-by-film.

domotime2 likes this.
  23. alextisonfire

https://soundcloud.com/beerherepodcast Supporter

If 'this entire movie was crawling arms and dudes puking worms' was the pitch, I would have been so immediately on board.

24. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Just gotta say you've got a great username.

RyanPm40 and alextisonfire like this.
  25. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

didnt think it was terrible. i love the idea of doing movies within the cloverfield universe so much and i thought all in all this movie was fine. They could've delved more into the "chaos" of the universes colliding thing, as that kinda went away after a while, and there was some clunkiness to the technical aspects of the movie...

but i didnt hate it.

Aaron Mook likes this.