Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Clothing/Shoes/Fashion Thread • Page 133

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Carmen SD

Trusted

Not sure when showing everyone your panties became “fashion”, but ok

2. aliens exist

pure on main

2002. christina aguilera is a visionary

[​IMG]

3. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

it was a joke.

4. cherrywaves

Trusted

There’s a Filson kinda near me, was shocked how pricey it was. Nice gear though

5. -deleted-

-

I’ve started wearing mock neck sweaters at 29
    :teethsmile:

Leftandleaving likes this.
  6. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

It is pricey, but their clothing really does last a lifetime. And whatever I buy from them I know I’ll be able to pass down to my son one day.

Frank Lapidus and cherrywaves like this.
  7. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

bet they go well with that nice jacket Richie gave you

Anthony_Soprano and imthesheriff like this.
  8. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

Filson stuff is definitely worth the price. It'll last forever

airik625 likes this.
  9. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

I had a Filson jacket and it was easily one of the nicest and highest quality items I've ever bought. I didn't have anyone to pass it down to and ended up selling it for more than I originally bought it for. Quality over quantity.

10. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Yeah Filson retains its value incredibly well.

11. -deleted-

-

I also back Filson.

12. cherrywaves

Trusted

Anyone got any good suggestions on a nice brown boot (casual, not hiking/winter boots) that won't break the bank?

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

depends on your definition of break the bank I guess. i cannot recommend Thursday boots enough. they're kinda thirsty on IG so I get if they seem kinda lame but they're a+ boots imo.

14. -deleted-

-

So, the thing for me now having worked in fashion for going on 8 years now is to change people’s mindset on what is affordable but worthwhile clothing and apparel. I don’t know what breaking the bank is for you since it’s different for everyone, but with leather casual boots that aren’t constructed well or with cheap material they will easily tear/lose form relatively quickly. They also can be terrible for your ankles and foot support. Same goes with plenty of sneaker brands.

I personally like many of Johnson & Murphy styles. Can usually find a nice pair in the $200 range but they have a solid sale going on right now.

Men's Boots & Chukkas | Johnston & Murphy | Johnston & Murphy

Also a big fan of Hudson shoes based in London. They too have great quality and a nice sale going on right now. If you don’t like anything you find but would like more suggestions than these two I’d be happy to help more.

Men's Boots | Black, Brown & Tan Leather | Hudson London & H by Hudson

Top of the line long lasting boots probably goes to Alden. I’ve seen some guys get 8-10 years doing actual work in them, but they are an investment for sure. One I have not made yet myself because they are pricey but very good quality. They are known for the Indiana Jones boot they still make and sell today.

cherrywaves likes this.
  15. -deleted-

-

Also a good rule of thumb for casual/designer boots/shoes: Ask what the soles are made of and look to see if they’re sewn on or glued. You generally want a wood sole, or a supportive recycled rubber. Any boots/shoots who get their soles from Vibram are A+ and last forever. But you see those with more terrain styles.

You can tell a good sewn on sole from looking at the bottom of the shoe and around the sole edge for a stitch pattern. Make sure it’s on both the top and bottom too, some cheap brands will do fake outs or mock stitches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cherrywaves likes this.
  16. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

cherrywaves and Anthony_Soprano like this.
  17. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I love my Thursday boots.

[​IMG]

18. EddieDS

Regular Supporter

19. cherrywaves

Trusted

Thanks for the help, lads. The J Crew near me has some of their brand boots which would be around $160 after sales + my remaining gift card balance, but I wanted to see if there were better options around. One of my buddies IRL recommended Thursday to me, so I might look there.

phaynes12 likes this.
  20. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

Not sure if you are looking for brand new or would entertain eBay. I bought some J Crew/Red Wing collaboration boots 6-7 years ago. Easily the most I ever spent on boots but they are still holding up to this day. Some of the nicest and highest quality boots that really started to make me fully believe in quality over quantity. If it's something I am going to wear and use a lot - I don't mind spending more.

Red Wing 11 Boot Moc Toe Wabasha Brown Heritage Tanned Leather Work Outdoor Men | eBay

21. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

Red wings are pricey but dope. I've had good experiences with Thursday and wolverine boots as well.

22. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

I got a pair of Wolverine boots in the fall and so far am really happy with them. Between the name being 1000 Mile boots and the reviews I read saying they lasted people 5-10 years and looked better as they aged I'm planning on keeping them for a long time.

23. think this is the right thread for this?

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  24. Brodobaggins34

They fixed your brain when you were young.

Looking for recommendations on good quality pocket t-shirts that'll last a few years. Mostly interesting in a good variety of solid colors and stripes. Some recs I've gotten already are Madewell and Everlane, so if anyone has input on those, that'd be cool.

I'm doing my yearly, "look-at-my-drawer-of-shirts-and-thinking-this-is-year-I-thin-out-the-herd-of-band-shirts-and-wear-nothing-but-solids-and-stripes".

colorlesscliche likes this.
  25. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Carhartt

coleslawed likes this.