Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cloakroom - Dissolution Wave (January 28, 2022)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by mattav152, Nov 30, 2021.

1. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

New record from Cloakroom coming out on January 28, new single and video out now. Pre-orders are also up on bandcamp and relapse.com:

From their bandcamp page:

Cloakroom celebrate their tenth anniversary as a band with their new album, Dissolution Wave.

Dissolution Wave is a concept - a space western in which an act of theoretical physics—the dissolution wave—wipes out all of humanity’s existing art and abstract thought. In order to keep the world spinning on its axis, songsmiths must fill the ether with their compositions. Meanwhile, the Spire and Ward of Song act as a filter for human imagination: Only the best material can pass through the filter and keep the world turning.

This is the universe that Cloakroom guitarist/vocalist Doyle Martin conceived as a way of processing the last few years. “We lost a couple of close friends over the course of writing this record,” he says. “Dreaming up another world felt easier to digest than the real nitty-gritty we’re immersed in every day.”

With lyrics based on an imagined cosmology, Dissolution Wave also marks a grand expansion of Cloakroom’s dreamy space-rock palette. Written from the perspective of the album’s protagonist—an asteroid miner who writes songs by night—”A Force at Play” has an airy, pastoral feel. Meanwhile, the melancholy title track captures the miner’s regret as they lament that they signed up for such a long stint on the job, while closer “Dissembler” describes their anxiety about the revelator who will judge their work. “If you don’t write a good enough song in this universe, you run the risk of being forgotten and lose the opportunity to return as a meaningful form of life,” Martin explains. The stakes have never been higher!

2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Woe

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

LFG

4. Can’t fucking wait

5. atlas

Trusted

Yes

6. Oh fuck yeah

7. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

what a bad ass concept

8. Wasn't as big on Time Well as I was on Further Out but this single is so nice

9. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

hell y es.

coleslawed likes this.
  10. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I’m pleased

11. Song’s great

12. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Failure and Cloakroom fuck me up

coleslawed likes this.
  13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

awesome single

14. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

love this song, love this band

Drew Beringer likes this.
  15. azzy01

Regular

According to the album cover this was tracked since the beginning of 2020? That's a crazy long time to have to sit on a record, excited nonetheless. Time Well has been on constant rotation for the majority of this year.

16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Lots of albums that have come out recently and will be coming out soon have been done for a while, lots of bands didn’t wanna put their albums out til they could tour behind them and with massive delays at vinyl plants they don’t wanna do staggered digital and physical releases so they’re having to wait even longer

17. cherrywaves

Trusted

Plus Doyle’s other band was super active last year, probably didn’t want to have competing releases

azzy01 likes this.
  18. atlas

Trusted

Song is brilliant wow, pre ordered with the quickness

19. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

Really into this single, very curious to hear the album's direction.

20. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

what band is that?

21. azzy01

Regular

Leftandleaving and sophos34 like this.
  22. flask

Trusted Supporter

Massive dub. Let’s go.

23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

oh shit i didnt know he was in nothing too

24. cherrywaves

Trusted

He hasn’t been in the band for that long, maybe a couple years? But you can definitely hear the songwriting influence on the new record i.e. “Catch a Fade”

Anthony Brooks and sophos34 like this.
  25. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

blueberry memories too

cherrywaves and Drew Beringer like this.