Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Clipping - Splendor and Misery (September 9 2016) Sub Pop Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Jul 27, 2016.

1. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

any fans? new LP out in september.

[​IMG]

01. Long Way Away (Intro)
    02. The Breach
    03. All Black
    04. Interlude 01 (Freestyle)
    05. Wake Up
    06. Long Way Away
    07. Interlude 02 (Numbers)
    08. True Believer
    09. Long Way Away (Instrumental)
    10. Air ‘Em Out
    11. Interlude 03 (Freestyle)
    12. Break The Glass
    13. Story 5
    14. Baby Don’t Sleep
    15. A Better Place

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

still so weird that the clipping dude is in hamilton lol

3. Horrorca

Trusted

I like them, curious to hear the new album

4. PauLo

43% Burnt

Late to the party with them and they've only just really clicked with me. I'm digging. Colour me excited.

5. bedwettingcosmo

its out there

6. bedwettingcosmo

super weird sci-fi ambient vibes with this one. crazy to see how much they've changed since the CLPPNG days

7. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

Got into these guys because of Hamilton. So so glad I did.
    This is a weird sprawling strange record, but I really really really like it. Not really that many big "singles" on the first half of the album. Feels like they did a reverse of Cl!pping, where they started off with that back to back (body and blood, work work, summertime, etc) and ended with some of the more out there stuff. I'm not complaining though -- there's plenty of greatness on here to dig into. A little weird that Diggs doesn't sing much on here, since we all know he's got a great voice, as exhibited on Broadway. I got a chance to meet him after the show, and he was this super down to earth guy. Got a pic of him and Lin petting my guide dog (I gave permission).
    Looking forward to spending more time with it later. Transition from Cl!pping to this reminds me a lot of Gambino's journey from Camp to his 2014 release, but I think these guys pulled it off better. Plus Digg's speed is undeniable.

8. Jose

weightless in the valley

Diggs is mad quick. I'm about this.

9. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

I listened to the two tracks they released in advance of this and aside from that read or heard nothing about this record until I listened to it today. Took until about three tracks in until I started thinking, "Wait, is this a space opera?"

Still haven't gone back to it yet, but interested to dive in more, ideally with the lyrics sometime soon. CLPPNG was my favourite record of 2014 so I have high hopes that I will really get into this with more time. "Song 5" is baffling to me though, lacking any deep understanding of the narrative of the album so far. I'm still not convinced there wasn't some sort of glitch in Apple Music and it downloaded the wrong track when I saved it to my phone.

10. Jose

weightless in the valley

After a couple more listens, I feel like Story 5 has its roots deep in slave songs and African spirituals. Since this album is about a slave that survived on a ship in space and has since taken over it, I feel like Story 5 and the Long Way Away trio fit perfectly into the themes of the albums. That's just my analysis of it though, you can find whatever meaning in it you feel is appropriate.

Olyphantastic likes this.
  11. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

Long Way Away I 100% agree with that - it definitely has its roots in spirituals. Story 5 I think is a little harder to parse for me still, because even though it uses the same vocalists, the lyrical content doesn't quite match up. I did a listen with the lyrics over the weekend which helped me scratch the surface of the lyrical themes but I still need to give this album a lot more attention before I feel even a little comfortable speaking about it with any sort of conviction.

Jose likes this.
  12. PauLo

43% Burnt

It's an interesting listen, no doubt. Need to spend some more time with it, but the initial listen was good.

13. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I like this -- initial impression is that there's some really good moments on here, but also a number of times where it feels like nothing is happening

14. bedwettingcosmo

the acapella stuff just aint for me.

15. PauLo

43% Burnt

This is so good. They played a surprising amount of tracks from it when I saw them live on Tuesday.

FYI they're incredible live.

16. bedwettingcosmo

17. bedwettingcosmo

PauLo likes this.
  18. PauLo

43% Burnt

19. PauLo

43% Burnt