Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Climax (Gaspar Noé, 2018) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joel, May 15, 2018.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

So do psychedelics play a major role in the narrative, and if so, do we get anything like the sweet visual trip in Enter the Void?

2. Dog with a Blog

Yes to your first question. No to the second. Haven’t seen Void but I know the scene you are talking about

riotspray likes this.
  3. Dog with a Blog

But it’s still incredibly visually arresting

riotspray likes this.
  4. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Can you link this? Never heard/seen anything of the nature.

Also, Enter the Void gave me a headache, the colors, style, etc. all were all too much.

5. Nyquist Mar 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 21, 2019)
    Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I’ve been trying to find what I read years ago, but am having trouble locating it now. Some of the things I read just now have jogged my memory a bit though I still can’t find the specific thing I remember. I should probably clarify that it’s not even necessarily that Gaspar crossed a personal line while filming this scene. From what I understand, he was gracious about it and actually left the scene up to Monica. She handled the majority of the direction for the scene and they shot it six times over two days. I think what bothered me about how it was shot is this (from what I recall):

There was no dialogue written for the scene so it was entirely improvised. The actors were very friendly between takes and then they’d go back in and it immediately turned into horror. Gaspar told the male actor to improvise the line “Call me daddy” because he wanted to leave the audience with the impression he himself may have been raped at one point or that he just wanted to use this line to further destroy her mind. Monica watched I Spit On Your Grave and Deliverance all afternoon to prepare herself and she said that each take grew more difficult because she knew what was coming and it was mentally taxing. The male actor had an extremely difficult time with it because of the horrifying nature of the vile acts he was committing as well as the things he was saying. This is the part I’m having trouble finding now. I recall reading that they had Monica on padded mats so it would be easier on her knees and that the actor simulating the assault kept stopping between takes to ask if she was okay and that it was clearly upsetting him. At one point he was in tears and kept apologizing to Monica while she reassured him it was okay before they’d go again. They would take two to two and a half hour breaks between takes because the crew needed to stop as well. It was just too emotionally draining for everyone involved. Monica has said that when she sees the scene now it hurts and after one of the takes her husband ran up to her sobbing and they had to take a break together to go talk about it.

I don’t know, I understand what Gaspar was doing but this is just not a film for me.

Edit: forgot to mention Gaspar would show Vincent and Albert the rape scene every time they were between takes on the opening assault scene just to keep them emotional and angry. That part always bothered me, especially given Vincent’s visceral reaction on set while they were filiming said scene.

6. Mason

Regular

Downloaded Climax today. Will prob watch this weekend. Loved Irreversible, was rather eh on Love. Should I watch Enter the Void? Reviews seem rather mixed.

7. Dog with a Blog

I’ve been hella obsessed with EDM lately so I feel I watched this at the right time. I’ve also been kinda interested in doing drugs while listening to said music (something I’ve never done before). This movie makes that decision seem questionable :crylaugh:

yung_ting likes this.
  8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Yes.

Mason likes this.
  9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Watching this tonight. Lets see how it goes lol.

10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Well, that was messed up. Really ruthless. I’d like to see Gaspar Noe try something a little less disturbing next time tbh. I love the camerawork and that overhead dance scene was unbelievable, but it honestly felt like someones worst nightmare at points- which i guess is the purpose, but still.

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

watched this a few days ago, and... fuck. this was a nauseating slog of a movie. the only thing i could stand was boutella

12. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

It's extremely affecting and well made. I'm gonna have to watch this again sometime

13. Dog with a Blog

Hmmm.

this wasn’t easy to watch and I don’t wanna see it again but I thought it was great. More of an “experience” than a piece of entertainment I felt

riotspray and ChaseTx like this.
  14. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

brilliant movie

yung_ting likes this.
  15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I agree that this wasn’t traditionally “entertaining” but it was definitely a wild ride. I loved it. I actually think it’s Noe’s most digestible film.

SpyKi, Dog with a Blog and yung_ting like this.
  16. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah it's a visual and emotional trip. Very intense. One of my favourites of the last few years.

OotyPa likes this.
  17. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I like most everything from Noe. Enter the Void is still my favorite, but Climax was probably the most uncomfortable to watch (outside of a couple of scenes in Irreversible)

Anyone know if/when Lux Æterna is available to watch?

SpyKi likes this.
  18. SpyKi

I don't but I'm very excited for it.

riotspray likes this.
  19. angrycandy

is Lux Æterna a film or a short film, or what?

20. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

You know, I'm not quite sure. I think it's a short film because IMDB has it listed as 50min run time, but I honestly don't know anything about it. I just looked up Noe to see what he was up to and that was his most recent project.

angrycandy likes this.
  21. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I still get mad thinking about how incredible this movie was on a technical level and how much i detested watching it.

angel paste and Maybevictor like this.
  22. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

riotspray and angrycandy like this.
  23. SpyKi

I want to watch it.

24. angrycandy

same

25. angrycandy Sep 5, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 5, 2020)
    angrycandy

it's 50 minutes. so is it a short film or just a really short film?

edit: it's a movie and apparently 51 minutes.

SpyKi likes this.