Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Climax (Gaspar Noé, 2018) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joel, May 15, 2018.

1. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this movie. I really wish the content had been slightly toned down, but on a technical level it really was something else.

2. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Found this surprisingly tedious

3. Dog with a Blog

Should I watch this without having seen his other films? This one really peaked my interest but his others, not so much

4. yung_ting Mar 19, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 19, 2019)
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

It’s the best film of the year so far so yes you should, but his other movies are incredible so if you have no desire to watch those then idk

Irreversible is one of the most important works of the 21st century tho

riotspray and Dog with a Blog like this.
  5. Dog with a Blog

No real aversion I guess but also no strong desire

6. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I know you like Lynch and Kubrick so it’s strange to me that you don’t want to see some of the most challenging/visually arresting films of the century but no, you don’t need to see those movies to appreciate this one

SpyKi, angrycandy and Dog with a Blog like this.
  7. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Follow up question: are his other movies *this* dark? And what is a good next step after Climax? (Was also my first one of his movies)

8. Dog with a Blog

Mostly I’m just lazy

yung_ting likes this.
  9. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

yes, darker even. I'd say go with Enter the Void next. then maybe Irreversible.

riotspray likes this.
  10. Dog with a Blog

Oh, I didn’t realize he made those. Enter the Void has been on my list for like a decade :crylaugh:

riotspray likes this.
  11. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

My response to this may have been muted, but Enter the Void seems way more up my alley.

12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Enter the Void is great, but I'm curious @yung_ting your thoughts on Irreversible being "one of the most important works of the 21st century." I've seen it and it disgusted and horrified me. Beyond those feelings, I can't really say if it was "good" or "important" or not. It was the hardest movie I've ever watched and I don't regret seeing it, but I simply can't justify that one scene.

13. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Yes *that* scene in Irreversible makes it extremely hard to recommend to anyone without a full on disclosure of what it contains. For better or worse.

14. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

side-note on Enter the Void: that movie is riveting. It's pretty long and uncomfortable (at certain parts), but its technical craft is far more compelling than Irreversible's, at least in my opinion. The themes the film's story reaches for are... ambitious to fulfill, but that's what makes it so profound to me. It's at once extremely intimate and personal, but manages to capture a grandiosity beyond the human plane.

riotspray likes this.
  15. yung_ting Mar 20, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 20, 2019)
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I had a few whiskeys last night so I was definitely being a little hyperbolic and should not have been posting lol, but I do think it was really culturally significant and I agree I can't recommend anybody watch it in good conscience

That being said, I think seeing it was an important moment for me in understanding the nature of consequence in a very visceral way that I maybe haven't felt since - I've rewatched it but will always skip that scene. No idea if I'd feel the same now

riotspray likes this.
  16. username

hey you lil piss baby

I think Irreversible is pretty much shit. Enter the Void is decent, but my interest in it is purely from an aesthetic stand point. Love is when I became more interested in him. Admittedly, I don't remember much of the film now, but I remember being very affected by it when I saw it in theatres. This is probably my favorite of his, or maybe I just currently prefer it over Love because it's fresher in my mind. Overall, he's not really my thing, but I admire his commitment to creating viscerally unpleasant experiences. His films play really well on the big screen, which might also factor into why I only really like the two I've seen that way.

yung_ting likes this.
  17. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Watching that scene in Irreversible had me so nauseated that it actually made me throw up. I’ll never watch it again. Reading about how they filmed it only made it worse. No thanks.

18. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Irreversible is very bad. This was very good.

19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I was thinking today about the actress who had to be put through that. I never read anything about the filming so I don't know what you're referring to here and tbh I'm a little scared to look it up.

20. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

yeah I retract my dumb rambling from last night lol

this movie however is good as hell and I can't wait to watch it again!

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  21. Dog with a Blog

Seeing this in an hour

22. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

idk as terrible as that seen is in irreversible is I think it's very confrontational and just having to watch every single moment of it happening is haunting, you feel very helpless during that moment and really sticks with you. It's also extremely important to the whole movie so it's not like it's without reasoning. I think the movie is definitely aware of how horrible it is and i think that's better than a lot of sexual assault stuff i see so casually in movies. Idk, I only watched it the one time because why would i do that to myself twice? lol

riotspray, yung_ting and angrycandy like this.
  23. Dog with a Blog

If there were a hell, this film would be it lol. Overall, I think I really enjoyed it. The long buildup in the beginning really pays off once shit starts to go south. The cinematography was amazing and I like how it shifted as the film went on, as if it were a character in its own right. Typically, I hate Dutch angles but they were utilized so well here and allowed the viewer to feel just as disoriented as the characters. Despite this, I didn’t really leave the theater thinking anything other than, “yeah, that was p fucked up.” I guess I thought it was gonna push a little further and take us somewhere but it sorta just plateaued imo. But yeah I’m glad I watched it

angel paste likes this.
  24. Dog with a Blog

Also, I dunno if I’ve ever felt such a strong level of anxiety from watching a movie lol.

25. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Enter the Void and Irreversible are must sees.