Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Classical/Orchestra Music

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Ferrari333SP, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Do we have a thread for this type of music yet? Do people even listen to this music?

I'm mainly into artists like Olafur Arnalds, Nils Frahm, A Winged Victory for the Sudden, Johann Johannsson, etc. Some of this music is similar to the ambient thread, but I thought it deserved it's own

Saw Johann Johannsson live last night; was absolutely incredible. 2 cellos, 3 violins, and Johann on the piano, while also controlling the electronic sounds.

2. Inna Selez

Regular

Sometimes I`m listening classical music, mostly Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky.

3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

My most favorite piece of music, of all time

4. Inna Selez

Regular

My soul fly away when I hear this waltz.

5. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Can this thread get a revival? Been listening to Schubert and Clara Schumann all day.

6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh Yes! Here for the noise!

All 9 shostakovich symphonies are incredible.

Chopins Concerto number 2 in F minor is one of my favorite pieces of all time

Schubers unfinished symphony rules

Beethoven 5 obviously slays

Wagner's Tristan and Isolde crushes

t_papaccio likes this.
  7. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

This performance melts my face everytime, the pain the sorrow the anguish when the piano first enters.. just too good

8. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

I remember there was this composer or something that made this piece, where he knew people would fall asleep/into a trance during the induction. So he added something to scare them awake.

I was in 8th grade when I heard it, but I remember by teacher telling us about the part beforehand and it STILL scared the shit out of me when I heard it.

Wish I could remember who it was. I love when songs do that, particularly Luca by Brand New

9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

so i purposefully sequenced two songs in my bands EP to do this, the end of the song Hear The sound which is super quiet and has a fading guitar part to the beginning of the song The Consequence which may be the loudest moment on the record ha. Anyway the piece you are referring to is the second movement of a Haydn Symphony, I think its in the 90s maybe 94? I believe its called the surprise symphony

therookielot likes this.
  10. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I always enjoyed all of the Legend of Zelda orchestra performances

11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Any LOTR fans here, he wrote a multi movement lord of the rings symphony that pretty much includes all of the great pieces from all three pieces, so you can enjoy them without listening to the 9 hours worth of soundtrack material hah

12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

last post for zelda fans

13. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Gorgeous

14. Horrorca

Trusted

a lot of this is touched in the ambient thread - swing by!!

The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid is probably my # 1 fav album ever

15. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Chopin piano concertos

16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Haha yeah I should; a lot of the artists I mentioned hit both sides of the line between classical and ambient, so kind of hard to classify them as one or the other, but yeah I should venture into that thread more

17. Horrorca

Trusted

more than that, we discuss stuff there that goes beyond ambient really... a lot of experimental and drone and noise and electronic stuff gets discussed there for lack of a better thread

:P

but yeah, swing by!

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  18. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Of “a” composer... haha

19. RamonaQuimby

Trusted

20. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

This thread needs more posts. Anyway, this performance is incredible.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  21. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Her last two albums have been fantastic; this was a great live performance.

The video she put out for "F Major" is fantastic

SmashRipsaw likes this.
  22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

23. andychan

revisiting the planets today, still one of the greatest

24. Maverick

Trusted

I know this post is like 4 years old, but I believe the piece you’re talking about is Haydn’s “Surprise Symphony” where it’s really childlike and playful then suddenly BANG the whole orchestra comes in tutti style.

25. Ellamamama

This is your life, are you who you want to be?

Just stumbled upon Eric Christian's Promenade d'automne. Beautiful stuff.

Ferrari333SP likes this.