Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Classic/Repertory Cinema

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by brandon_260, Jun 22, 2016.

1. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Maybe this thread will work? Looking to have a place to discuss classic film and repertory screenings. The Criterion thread is only busy for like 2 hours a month when the announcements come and the Last Movie thread doesn't generate much discussion, especially when it comes to films not released in the last 10 years.

So, what have you been watching lately? I've been bulking up on De Palma before I see the new doc. and will continue to watch his stuff through the retrospective this summer. We've also got Hitchcock, Truffaut, Zuwalski, and Rohmer retrospectives, along with a lot of one off screenings.

I also saw Woody Allen's Broadway Danny Rose last week (on 35mm!), which is totally hilarious. His second funniest after Zelig. It's probably my favorite film I've watched this month. That or Altman's The Player.

2. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

There's a screening of Once Upon A Time In The West on Saturday afternoon, that I can't go to. Shame, I bet it's a great one to watch on a cinema screen.

3. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

planning to finally dive into Robert Altman's filmography starting with MASH soon

4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I've watched 4 of his this year. MASH was the one I didn't like. McCabe and Mrs Miller is a masterpiece and the Player is supremely overlooked. Reminds me I need to watch The Long Goodbye soon.

5. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I guess film club is done?

6. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

Otto Preminger's Laura is probably my favorite thing I've watched this year that falls into this category. It's unbelievable, and SO far ahead of its time in many ways.

7. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I put it to rest for now. My life got a little chaotic towards the end and the fact that there was only 3-4 people generally interested played a role too. Just felt like a bit of a bummer after how many people initially jumped up saying they were interested. But I get it, things come up (hence why I dropped it).

8. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah people get busy. I know I feel behind a couple of times. Maybe in the future the burden of running the thing should be on the person whose pick it is? But then when people flake there's no post at all