Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

City and Colour Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Nov 2, 2016.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Dallas Michael John Albert Green (born September 29, 1980) is a Canadian singer-songwriter who records under the alias City and Colour. He plays melodic acoustic and folk music and is often accompanied by a rotating number of Canadian indie rock musicians, such as Spencer Burton. He is also known for his contributions as the vocalist, guitarist and songwriter for the post-hardcore band Alexisonfire. In 2005, he debuted his first full-length album, Sometimes, which achieved Platinum certification in 2006.

2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

His newer stuff is really underrated imo, If I Should Go Before You is a great album:

teebs41 likes this.
  3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I really like "Lover Come Back" but overall that album didn't quite hit me. I'm of the small population that thinks The Hurry and The Harm was great

coleslawed and beachdude42 like this.
  4. Horrorca

Trusted

off by heart is one of my fav songs ever

but to be honest, nothing he has ever done comes close to it

aoftbsten likes this.
  5. Antigone

you slipped away past the fog and the fire light

I haven't been able to get into the new album so far.
    The album I spin and love the most of his is Bring Me Your Love.

beachdude42 likes this.
  6. zmtr

Trusted

I actually very much enjoy If I Should Go Before You. I went into it expecting to hate it. His band absolutely kills it.

Bring Me Your Love
    Sometimes
    If I Should Go Before You
    Little Hell

The Hurry And The Harm

teebs41 and beachdude like this.
  7. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Dallas Green is hands down my favorite musician of all time, just putting that out there.

If we're doing rankings...

Bring Me Your Love/ Sometimes
    Little Hell
    The Hurry And The Harm
    If I Should Go Before You

Those first two albums were just such perfection. Not to mention they were coming out between AOF releases and a constant stream of music from Dallas is just the best damn thing. "Live" is also a masterpiece, the version of Happiness By The Kilowatt is one of my favorite songs of all time.

/fanboyrant

aoftbsten and beachdude42 like this.
  8. zmtr

Trusted

He certainly was my favorite musician during my teen years but then I grew up and realized he was just kind of an "okay" songwriter compared to some of my favorites now. BMYL will always be one of my favorite records of all time though. In fact, I will listen right now.

9. wearethedead

missing out

I'm a fan of the first 4 albums but If I Should Go Before You just didn't do anything for me. I like the last two songs but I felt like most of it was just a bit generic and boring, although I did really enjoy that single he put out a couple of years ago (Nowhere, Texas) so maybe I just prefer a bit more of a stripped back style from him. To me he was more of a gateway into the acoustic/singer-songwriter stuff I'm into now like Elliott Smith, Conor Oberst, Owen, etc. so although I do have a soft spot for all of the City & Colour albums, they just don't stand up as highly for me against some of the other similar artists of the same genre. That said, Sometimes is still an absolute classic album.

10. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Great timing on this thread, I've been on a huge City & Colour kick lately. I go back and forth on Bring Me Your Love and Little Hell as my favorites, but I think Bring Me Your Love gets the edge because it has "Sensible Heart" on it. Sometimes is great as well, I love the stripped down blues feel of that one. I enjoy If I Should Go Before You, it's got some great ones on it like "Blood" and "Mizzy C". Hurry And The Harm just feels so bland to me.

His best release might just be that live album he released between Sometimes and Bring Me Your Love. I love that.

This is also incredible stuff:

redwing91007 and beachdude42 like this.
  11. zmtr

Trusted

Sensible Heart is definitely one of his best.

Sensible Heart, Against The Grain, and The Death Of Me are god tier for me..

Also, Faithless is amazing. Love that song. Both those bonus tracks are really high quality.

aoftbsten likes this.
  12. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Love the guy but he has never and will never top Hello, I'm in Delaware

wearethedead likes this.
  13. redwing91007

*NEW MUSIC*

Excited to unveil TWO new songs: Peaceful Road / Rain 12". The new LP features 2 never-before released tracks from the 'If I Should Go Before You' sessions in Nashville.

PRE-ORDER on 12" starting at 10amEST on Fri, Jan 27: City and Colour Online Store

There will an option to order a black vinyl (150gram, 45rpm) & City and Colour Exclusive, bone colour variant, limited to 500 units.

(Available Worldwide on March 3, 2017 on all digital and retail platforms)

johnnyferris and aoftbsten like this.
  14. redwing91007

This is going to be incredible, if you can make any date I strongly recommend it. I'll be driving for this one.

----------------------

CANADA - SOLO TOUR (APRIL/MAY 2017)

I've been wanting to do this for awhile - just me, my guitar and you guys, in local theatres across Canada. Back to basics.

TICKET LINK: City and Colour

on sale: Fri Feb 3 at 12pm (local time)
    *except Banff, AB - tickets on sale Sat Feb 4 at 12pm (local time)*

$1 from each ticket sold will be donated to @musicounts

“An Evening with City and Colour - Solo” 2017

April 1 - Courtenay, BC - Sid Williams Theatre
    April 2 - Campbell River, BC - Tidemark Theatre
    April 3 - Victoria, BC - Royal Theatre
    April 4 - Duncan, BC - Cowichan Theatre
    April 6 - Vancouver, BC - Queen Elizabeth Theatre
    April 7 - Surrey, BC - Bell Performing Arts Centre
    April 8 - Chilliwack, BC - HUB International Theatre
    April 10 - Penticton, BC - Cleland Community Theatre
    April 11 - Trail, BC - Charles Bailey Theatre
    April 13 - Vernon, BC - Vernon Performing Arts Centre
    April 14 - Cranbrook, BC - Key City Theatre
    April 16 - Lethbridge, AB - Yates Memorial Centre
    April 17 - Banff, AB - Banff Centre: Eric Harvie Theatre
    April 18 - Banff, AB - Banff Centre: Eric Harvie Theatre
    April 27 - Sainte-Thérèse, QC - Église Sainte-Thérèse-d'Avila
    April 28 - Saint-Casimir, QC - Théâtre les Grands Bois
    April 30 - Charlottetown, PE - Confederation Centre
    May 2 - Saint John, NB - Imperial Theatre
    May 4 - Truro, NS - Marigold Centre
    May 5 - Wolfville, NS - Convocation Hall
    May 6 - Pictou, NS - deCoste Centre
    May 8 - Fredericton, NB - The Playhouse
    May 9 - Halifax, NS - Rebecca Cohn Auditorium
    May 10 - Halifax, NS - Rebecca Cohn Auditorium
    May 11 - Glace Bay, NS - Savoy Theatre
    May 13 - St. John's, NL - Majestic Theatre
    May 14 - St. John's, NL - Majestic Theatre
    May 15 - Corner Brook, NL - Arts and Culture

15. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

No Ontario dates? wtf?

16. redwing91007

Yeah that is weird, maybe there's more coming? He also already has that festival in Niagara on the Lake.

17. vidiviciveni

Trusted

No Saskatchewan, Manitoba or Ontario. Tons of Maritime shows, and zero for the entire mid-section of the country. Alrighty.

18. openheart

That's a shame.

I went to his Niagara-on-the-Lake show two years ago and the show at the Amphitheatre last June. Both shows were good but I don't understand why he wouldn't want to play some intimate shows for crowds closer to home.

It baffles me as to why Dallas is so impressed with his band. So many riffs on If I Should Should Go Before You from song to song sound the same. I agree entirely with the person above who noted that the last two songs on that album are the best.

Little Hell, Sometimes, and Bring Me Your Love (in that order) are my favourites. Oddly enough, those were all albums Dallas wrote while also in Alexisonfire. Although the double-duty was killing him at the time, it seemed like he was more focused when juggling two different bands. Now that he's putting all his effort into C&C, it's gone somewhat downhill.

19. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Yeah C&C is such a backwards trajectory, he's gotten quite huge in Canada while his music has become steadily less interesting. He's just that guy in suspenders with a guitar and a nice voice now, and the world already had enough of those. What happened to the dude that wrote stuff like "Hello, I'm In Delaware"?

adeadgod likes this.
  20. redwing91007

Seeing him blow up in Canada was crazy. I've seen him in 400 cap clubs and 20k cap arenas. My favourite album go more or less in descending order (my favourite being the Sometimes and so on) and his popularity and been the complete reverse. I think once he was done with AoF and it was no longer just an acoustic side project he tried to reach the masses and lost some of the magic. Seeing him do these solo shows is as close as you can get to the old days, just Dallas and a guitar.

21. redwing91007

Tickets for the show in Saint-Therese sold out in under 2 minutes. I was able to snag a pair :-)

22. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Maybe this tour is the excuse I need to finally visit Canada.

redwing91007 likes this.
  23. RonandTammy

Regular

He has a couple of new songs floating around the interwebs.

Rain and Peaceful Road. The former harking back to the time of The Hurry and The Harm and the latter seems like something off of Little Hell. There is a nice call back to Sorrowing Man on this track as well, which is always appreciated.

I'd be hard pressed to find another artist I admire more than this man.

redwing91007 likes this.
  24. redwing91007

Listening now, excited for these. Wonder why they aren't up on Spotify.

25. RonandTammy

Regular

I don't know, but they're both wonderful, and I'm surprised at the new material.