Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Citizen - As You Please (October 6, 2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TMS2787, Jul 11, 2017.

1. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

haha I still really love that record, but I understand why people didn't like it

DejaMoi likes this.
  2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Do it now! Its way more straight forward but the potential is really clear

DejaMoi likes this.
  3. Colin Your Enthusiasm Jul 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 11, 2017)
    Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Its funny because EIGTH is slower/softer than Youth but also in many ways much heavier than Youth. I honestly think they could really breakout in a big way with As You Please. Just played Jet again and yeah this band deserves to get big. One of the best around as far as im concerned

teebs41 likes this.
  4. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Yeah its more polarizing but i like it just as much as Youth for different reasons. Thats what makes them both so good they compliment each other so well.

5. Oh wow yeah I kinda forgot how much I hated Ten. Side B of that vinyl is v frustrsting for me because Yellow Love and Ring Of Chain are top tier Citizen tracks but I have to make it through Ten to get there lol.

DejaMoi likes this.
  6. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Yeah I got them both from their Bandcamp one day, and fell hard for 'Everybody.' I basically listened to it every night for about a month, and Youth just sat on my phone. Since then anytime I think of them I just listen to the one I'm familiar with and already love. I get real obsessive over certain records sometimes lol.

coleslawed likes this.
  7. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Some days Heaviside is my favorite track on that record

coleslawed likes this.
  8. TMS2787

Trusted

Spun both Youth and EIGTH earlier today: Summer / Sleep / HDITF? / TNIDA / SWAG are still such a crazy good five track section.
    It's unreal to me.

At first I wasn't huge on some of Heaven but as time went on I really liked it. But Stain / Ten just never sat well with me at all and are at the bottom of my list on Citizen songs so far.

9. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Its a grower for sure. Thats why i love Brand New and Radiohead. i dont mind that at all in fact i prefer it.

10. TMS2787

Trusted

I'm a HUGE Brand New fan (I've seen them 34 times) and I love Radiohead, I get why you mentioned both of them in comparison but with those two tracks I just could never get into them. I do really like Heaven overall though and have for a long time.

DejaMoi likes this.
  11. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I feel like if you've seen a band 34 times, there should be a word stronger than 'huge' to describe your fandom lol.

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  12. TMS2787

Trusted

Well I don't know what other ways to describe it. Haha. I know it's beyond insane but hey… they've even my favorite band for 11 years now. I know people who have seen certain bands / artists many, many more times.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  13. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

finished Youth onto EIGTH

DejaMoi likes this.
  14. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Well for whats its worth i kinda hate Ten too but i really want to like it still lol

Stain on the othef hand was the first i heard from the record (its my sowing season so to speak) so i def cant hate it. That one and Silo are actually what made me get into Citizien and go to listen to Youth. An album i had bookmarked when it first came out but never actually listened to which is crazy considering i ended up liking it so much and the rest is history. Now they are easily one of my favorite banda hands down

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  15. Colin Your Enthusiasm

teebs41 likes this.
  16. AshlandATeam

Trusted

That's awesome man. I'd love to see my favorite bands that many times. It's an amazing gift to have had those experiences!!

17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

its weird one of the criticisms of EIGTH is that it was too 90s grundge... but I don't really just hear that at all, I hear a lot of influences. Also I really love the chorus of Dive into my Sun, such a catchy melody

trevorshmevor and DejaMoi like this.
  18. Colin Your Enthusiasm

This thread is the best right now and so was the official Ciz thread earlier all thx to the great news brought to us by @pauljgreco lol

pauljgreco and teebs41 like this.
  19. enlliac

The Real Azor Ahai

Ciz used to be my favorite band when Youth came out and then I faded into liking rap/r&b more, and it took a while for me to get into EIGTH. Ring of Chain became my favorite song by them though, and they remained one of the few bands that I still really loved. Hearing Jet just now reminds me of why I fell in love with them years ago

DejaMoi and teebs41 like this.
  20. TMS2787

Trusted

I know what you mean because they where playing a free festival I was at in Columbus to see Local Natives, a buddy told me to check Citizen out and I blew it up. Then I caught them at SpringFling 2015 and it blew me away. When I left the show I put on 'Youth' on the way home and the rest is history. I've seen them a hand full of times since then and I would also venture to say they are one of my favorite bands as well.

teebs41 and DejaMoi like this.
  21. Colin Your Enthusiasm

I missed them at Riotfest still pissed about that but it was just before i discovered them in 2014. I did get to see Brand New and Manchester that day tho at least but still Ciz was there too

22. TMS2787

Trusted

I agree! I'll be at their show and it's funny because people will talk about certain shows Brand New played (when they did Degausser twice at Bamboozle, Jesse almost threw him guitar through the drumhead at Lolla, the New Years Eve show) and I can say "I was there!" Lol.

AshlandATeam and DejaMoi like this.
  23. enlliac

The Real Azor Ahai

Also, Ten is my least favorite song by Citizen...and it's not even close. It's the biggest reason why I was turned off from EIGTH for a while haha. 7 out of the ten songs on that album though are perfect in my opinion

24. TMS2787

Trusted

Ciz was at Riot Fest 2013? I didn't even know that but I also wasn't into them. I know I've missed probably 20-some shows in the Cleveland-area alone. The band always says that this area is the area they've played the most. Lol.

25. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

heaviside is such a cool song. Super chill, real simple, great melody