Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Circa Survive Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

On Letting Go is honestly my least favorite Circa album, but I still love it. Blue Sky Noise and Violent Waves are ridiculously good.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  2. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Blue Sky Noise hit me at a time when I needed it most. Felt similarly about a few songs on OLG and VW.

3. Deathco_019

Drummer

I remember Chris from Saosin saying that Anthony was going to be writing a new Circa record later in the year. Very excited to hear that it's begun sooner than I expected.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  4. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I've actually never seen this opinion. Surprised

5. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

im probably getting my OLG tattoo to celebrate 90 days sober, which is coming up in a few weeks.

6. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

7. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Seeing someone else say this warms my heart.

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  8. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Congrats! I just celebrated 18 months.

9. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Juturna is still far and away my favorite, it's honestly probably at least a top 15 record for me at this point. OLG is definitely second though, that one actually took the longest to really "click" with me, surprisingly.

10. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

This is awesome! Congrats :D

stillbrazy likes this.
  11. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

On Letting Go I think is still clicking with me, I think. I really like the record I know, but I don't have the same connection to it as I do the other 4 either. Living Alone is a flawless opening track though. But thinking about it, I think every Circa opening track is perfect.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  12. nohandstoholdonto

They're really good at openers, for sure.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  13. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Is this an error, or is there another song before Living Together? Like one of those things where you have to rewind before track 1 on an actual CD player?

(Note: I'm making a joke. A hilarious joke.)

Cameron likes this.
  14. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Yeah. Sorry. Should have replied.
    I hear BSN for being less experimental and VW for not having an album flow.

Never seen OLG as #5
    Makes me want to re listen now. Ha

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

It's been a while since I've listened to VW in full. Perhaps I shall change that!

16. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

OLG is so easily my favourite. Nothing else really hits me the same.

17. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  18. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I TRIED SO HARD
    TO BE WHAT YOU NEEDED
    YOUR IMAGINARY ENEMY

this band brings feels

Deathco_019 likes this.
  19. Deathco_019

Drummer

Was just listening to BSN yesterday and I feel that it may be my favorite Circa album again. I have a strong, deep, personal attachment to that album. The songs on Appendage are great too, particularly Every Way and Lazarus. These lyrics will always hit close to home:

"If that's the most important thing you do
    Detail every ounce of pain that you went through
    Make sure you leave something down to show the way back
    Make sure you leave something down to show the way back"

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I nap to on letting go most days it's soothing idk

21. CoffeeEyes17

OLG is really something else, could well be a top 10 album.

Circa is one of those bands I put on in the background while playing WoW or HOTS or Overwatch or something

22. nohandstoholdonto Sep 10, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 10, 2016)
    nohandstoholdonto

Juturna just has this atmosphere to it that I feel their other music doesn't really have, and I think that's what draws me to that record more than the others. It's hard to really pin down, but it's just very cold, airy, and dark throughout in this oddly specific way. Idk that description doesn't even do it justice, but it just feels like Anthony's vocals have this really perfect place in the mix where his rather melancholic melodies almost feel like they're floating (soaring?) above the songs, where the drums and bass lock together to form these really strong grooves that serve as a foundation while the guitars weave their way around each other in these really intricate ways. I even think Anthony's kind of disconnected, abstract lyricism helps add to it all, where that approach might be less appealing to me in other circumstances.

That probably sounds a bit nonsensical and maybe pretentious but it's the best I got. I'm realllly bad at at describing the abstract feelings I get when it comes to music. It's just not enough for me to simply say "Juturna has their best songs" or whatever, because it's less about the songs themselves for me and more about the total package and mood of the album.

23. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

OLG has the atmosphere too

24. christsizedshoes

Trusted

I definitely hear you there, even though I prefer OLG by a hair. I've definitely used the phrase "floating above the music" to describe Anthony's vocals on those first two records, and it was absolutely key to why I loved them so much. I've never completely accepted the rather drastic stylistic shift in his vocals (at least as I see it) starting with BSN.

Your description of Juturna's atmosphere as cold and airy is spot on, too. Whereas OLG is much more lush and uplifting, despite lots of other musical similarities between the two.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  25. CoffeeEyes17

i definitely agree with you, i have to be in a certain mood for Juturna, but when that mood strikes Juturna jumps to being my favorite for a while. Idk I could make a case for all 5 records and Appendage for being my favorite release.