Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Circa Survive Band • Page 57

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 14, 2016.

1. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

JUTURNA
    OLG
    Blue Sky Noise
    Descensus
    The Amulet
    Violent Waves

2. Blue Sky Noise
    On Letting Go
    The Amulet
    Juturna
    Descensus
    Violent Waves

beachdude likes this.
  3. nohandstoholdonto

I don’t even know if I agree with my own ranking tbh I just know Juturna is the fucking best

beachdude and Philll like this.
  4. atlas

Trusted

Descensus
    OLG
    Blue Sky Noise
    Juturna
    Amulet
    VW

5. Philll

Trusted

I can never trust whether I truly prefer Juturna or OLG, they're essentially tied for me.

6. nohandstoholdonto

OLG is great, and definitely my second pick but there’s still a good bit of distance between the two for me. Juturna really just does it for me in a way that no other album really does.

7. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Juturna has Stop The Fucking Car which makes it a 10/10 so

8. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

juturna was lightning in a bottle

9. Philll

Trusted

Don't know if I can think of a better debut album.

nohandstoholdonto and irthesteve like this.
  10. ImAMetaphor

Juturna is fantastic, but I don't think it ends very well.

11. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

house of leaves is a song like no other its an all timer

I like montauk and its raw quirkiness too

12. ImAMetaphor

I never got the love for House of Leaves that others did. Montauk is fine but inconsequential imo, and Always Getting What You Want is really boring to me. I love tracks 1-9, though, lol

trevorshmevor likes this.
  13. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Ayyyyyy

christsizedshoes and jordalsh like this.
  14. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Amulet
    Descensus
    BSN
    Juturna
    OLG
    VW

Descensus is the best record at capturing their aggressive sound and Amulet is the best at Circa get slower and weird. I like the slower and weird side a little bit more from them so Amulet wins out.

beachdude and Ken like this.
  15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I'm shocked to see The Amulet ranked so low by some people.

16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Whenever I introduce someone to Circa, I always show them House of Leaves first. Maybe not their most accessible song, but god damn it's perfect.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  17. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Juturna
    Descensus
    Amulet
    OLG
    BSN
    VW

18. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Descensus was particularly good in that I think there were people (like me) that felt the let-down of Violent Waves. For me, Violent Waves is fine, its definitely Circa, but it felt under-developed, with the songs often lacking the punch or even accessibility seen on other albums. The album was written at the height of Anthony's heroin addiction, with the band almost breaking up afterwards, and I think it shows. Certainly Anthony said he wrote alone a lot compared to the rest of the albums.

I think a large amount of Descensus is probably forgettable, but Child of The Desert, Nesting Dolls, and Sovereign Circle are up there with some of the best Circa songs. Certainly CotD and Nesting Dolls are songs you want to see them play in a set - CotD in particular is incredible.

19. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Also:

BSN
    Juturna
    OLG
    Amulet
    Descensus
    VW

BSN & Juturna could probably swap on any given day though..

20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

CotD is so good live. That final breakdown destroys. Gonna go listen to Descensus now.

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I've said it before, and people get super defensive, but the production on Violent Waves-Descensus-Amulet really brings the records down for me.

christsizedshoes likes this.
  22. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Just saw this Tweet and completely forgot the BSN anniversary is next year, and it definitely seems as if we'll get shows for it. Fingers crossed its a whole tour like the last! Would kill to see Glass Arrows & Fever Dreams.

Ken, currytheword, Micah511 and 3 others like this.
  23. The payoff in Child Of The Desert is great but getting there is a rough go for me

24. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Oh man. Hard disagree there for me. I love the build-up in the chorus and that pulsing bassline. It makes the end so much better for me.

They build anticipation so well on the album. I love how Nesting Dolls builds and builds but then just ends.

ImAMetaphor likes this.