Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Circa Survive Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 14, 2016.

1. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I looove "I Felt Free".

2. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I also love I Felt Free, and Child of the Desert. They opened with the latter the last time I saw them and it was unreal when the "drop" came in

Benjamin Lee and Deathco_019 like this.
  3. Deathco_019

Drummer

Damn, Child Of The Desert is so good

4. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I felt free is not my fav. Not because it's bad but because it is so on the nose.
    Apparently Colin wrote the majority of that without AG

5. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

6. Child Of The Desert takes way too long to come in IMO. So much build up, pretty consistently the most boring part of their set until that end part

7. Deathco_019

Drummer

Don't think it's boring in the slightest bit. That groove that Steve and Nick have going is great. Really keeps pushing the song forward while Colin and Brendan create such a spacey atmosphere.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  8. christsizedshoes

Trusted

The "I Felt Free"-"Imaginary Enemy" section of BSN pretty much defines the moment when they transitioned away from their early sound and aesthetic for me. The latter is so carefree and unadventurous musically for the first time in their career, while both are lyrical nosedives from everything Anthony had done prior (IMO of course).

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  9. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Or, does the fact that the song is so unadventurous for them make it adventurous for them?

10. Richard Jul 20, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2016)
    Richard

Trusted Prestigious

I absolutely love BSN, but it's definitely obvious out of all of them that it's their only major label album. As you say, the guitar work especially was much less atomospheric/experimental/proggy, and a lot more general rock-influenced. Which I think you can safely attribute to it being a major label debut album.

That said, BSN is phenomenal. The standout for me on that album is always the bass. When the bass tears in on Glass Arrows, just fuck. Absolutely hands down one of the coolest moments of any Circa song.

11. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Also, being a Circa fan is weird right? In my mind they're massive (them or Brand New are my favourite band), and yet here at least (the UK) Circa shows are generally fairly small venues that just about sell out. Part of me can never comprehend when their shows at 400 cap venues don't sell out instantly (let alone when they don't even sell out).

12. I do an air guitar slide into that second chorus every single time, without fail

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  13. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Seeing them play House of Leaves live was incredible. They played it perfectly.

14. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

house of leaves is their best song

15. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

they play like 1k+ here

16. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

this is the direction i want them to go in.. its progish but it had a groove and such a dark tone to it.. Anthony can do alt/emo/post hardcore/whatever with saosin now.. just make circa all about guitar effects and grooves and Anthonys voice soaring over the guitars without any screaming or growling... Is that too much to ask? ha

17. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I want more stuff like On Letting Go. Is THAT too much to ask??

18. They sold out a 2500 cap room at my stop of the Juturna tour. That's actually usually the room they play when they come through, but idk if it sells out every time or not. Has to at least come close though.

19. airik625

was going through some old videos, and found this little ditty:

20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

someone give me those juturna stems asap

Your Milkshake likes this.
  21. airik625

Some cool videos my fiancé got at the Juturna 10 Year Anniversary show in Atlanta.

22. airik625

If you PM me I can.

23. airik625

Anthony said they were working on a new Circa Survive album in his AMA tonight.

24. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Awesome. I haven't listened to Circa in a long time.

25. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

this band rules and OLG is among the best albums released in this scene.

thats all i have to say about that

Deathco_019 likes this.