Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Circa Survive Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 14, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I was trying to find the piece on Anthony (I thought it was Alt Press, right around Desenscus release) about Anthony's addition, hiding it from his family, etc. Anyone remember where that article was?

2. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

I was jus thinking about that article after I saw them a few weeks ago. Let me know if you find it.

3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

DrawYourMind likes this.
  4. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Well, "early Circa" is the key. They've drifted pretty far from material like that over the years, much to my dismay. I'd be pleasantly surprised -- but, no doubt, very surprised -- if they ever put out a record in that vein again. Plus, you have a large number of newer fans who genuinely think BSN is better than the two records preceding it.

I've often wondered whether the stylistic shifts after OLG were the result of a corresponding shift in songwriting duties between members. If so, this flyermile stuff hints that maybe Steve was a bigger contributor in the early days.

5. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Blue Sky Noise is the best Circa Survive album. I love them all, but I think their albums Blue Sky Noise and forward are just so much more diverse and interesting, both musically and lyrically.

lightning13 and St. Nate like this.
  6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

teebs41 likes this.
  7. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Could not disagree more. Ha
    The guitar on BSN is so much less layered and therefore so much less interesting to me.

I really miss the dueling that Colin and Brendan had on those first two records. They were constantly pulling and pushing while still driving the song forward. Couple songs on descensus make me believe they can still do that sound.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

9. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Yeah I can relate all to well to that article.

10. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Being that Juturna is my favorite album ever, I'd love to hear them bring back some similar elements. Fucking love listening to that album on headphones...the guitars are all over the place in the best fucking way possible.

Sorry...I'm just really passionate about that album.

11. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Listening to the stems they sent out with the deluxe version made me really appreciate the guitar work on that album even more than I did already.

teebs41 and ChrisCantWrite like this.
  12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

there's stems for Juturna?!

fuuuu

trevorshmevor and teebs41 like this.
  13. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

I do really enjoy BSN but I gotta go with Juturna/On Letting Go ahead of them.

Although, I love jamming to Get Out in the summer.

14. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

On Letting Go is my favorite Circa record but BSN is quite close behind it. I used to rank Juturna at the bottom of their discography but now I'd probably rank it as my number 3. The sound on their early records is what drew me into the band, but I've found their progression into a somewhat heavier, more straightforward rock-tinged sound really intriguing as well. All of their records sound fresh and energetic to me.

They're a great example of a band who has never strayed too far from their original sound yet still keeps things engaging and exciting.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

BSN is what got me into them in the first place. The record helped me at a time when I needed it most. The lyrics spoke to me like no other record had done previously. That same year (2010) in November, I saw them perform acoustic and met them, and then saw them live like a couple of hours later that same day on their BSN tour with dredg (another one of my favorite bands). One of the best shows I've ever been to.

Benjamin Lee and Deathco_019 like this.
  16. Deathco_019

Drummer

I got into the band a few months before BSN, so that album and those first two all have a very special place in my heart and are among my favorite albums ever released. I enjoy the direction they've gone in since, especially with Descensus. This band just keeps releasing such high quality work that I've never pined for an album to sound like their earlier work. In fact, I don't think they've strayed far from those first two albums at all. A little bit, sure, but their last three albums definitely still fall from the same tree. Anyway, this discussion has me really excited for whatever's next.

KidLightning and ImAMetaphor like this.
  17. Transient_Hymn

Does everyone have a least favorite circa song?
    I can never get through phantasmagoria.

The only way they'd drop from my top 3 is if the next album is that sound from top to bottom. Ha

18. ImAMetaphor

Think Of Me When They Sound.

I won't skip it, but I'm just waiting for Brother Song to come on.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  19. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Never thought about a least favorite, but my favorite is easily,"We're All Thieves." It encapsulates everything that is perfect about Circa, imo.

20. ImAMetaphor

My favorite has always been In The Morning...

That guitar line is angelic

21. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Yea..that song definitely has wings.

22. Deathco_019

Drummer

At first, I thought this read that We're All Thieves was your least favorite song and I was gonna have a heart attack.

Anyway, my least favorite is Bad Heart. It's the only song of theirs that I don't enjoy. My favorite is Lazarus. That song is massive.

23. Transient_Hymn

I only mentioned least because my favorite changes once every few months.
    Today, it is Frozen Creek but I think that is because we are in "july winter" in SF.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  24. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Understandable. Hahah

25. christsizedshoes

Trusted

My favorite is a battle between at least half the tracklist on OLG. Probably one of the first two tracks, though.

Least favorite? Probably "I Felt Free," "Imaginary Enemy," "Brother Song," or "Child of the Desert."

SpyKi likes this.