Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Circa Survive - The Amulet (September 22, 2017) Album • Page 65

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

So, uh, wow I love this thing. It's too early to rank it but I my immediate reaction was more positive than my immediate reaction to the last two (although I adore Descensus now and enjoy Violent Waves now as well).

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think I've fucked with resequencing for a couple of albums but I don't feel like this needs changing at all.

3. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I like the flow of the tracklisting. think it's perfect really.

teebs41 and SpyKi like this.
  4. Saephon

Regular

Anthony's vocals are incredible here. He's perfected a way of reaching high notes without straining, in a sort of croon. Reminds me of what Andy Hull did on A Black Mile to the Surface.

5. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

I've always wanted to like this band more than I do. Don't get me wrong I enjoy me some Circa they just never fully clicked with me. Still listening through the new one. Anyone else have that feeling with other bands?

teebs41 likes this.
  6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

The national. Like I like them but I can never love their albums.

DejaMoi likes this.
  7. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Oh totally The National for me too actually that's an other one now that you mention it.

teebs41 likes this.
  8. Colin Your Enthusiasm

You heard their new one yet @teebs41

teebs41 likes this.
  9. Gooddayz

always and forever

Yeah I tried giving their new one a shot. It got some nice song, but just not really for me.

10. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I saw it performed in full live two days before it came out

11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Circa is a weird band for me. I literally love all of their albums but I wouldn't consider them my favorite band or one of my favorite bands. They are like right in the middle of my second tier probably

12. Colin Your Enthusiasm

That's why I'm afraid to listen but I'll still give it a shot. The National is a more extreme example because I don't enjoy them nearly as much as I enjoy Circa Survive. But both are good examples of bands that never fully clicked with me and want to like more than I do.

Gooddayz likes this.
  13. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Circa or The National?

teebs41 likes this.
  14. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Likewise. Nice to know it's not just me. Funny how that happens with certain bands eh

15. Gooddayz

always and forever

Alright I finished up their discography, so I'm all fresh and ready to go. About to press play... Crap I'm so excited

DejaMoi likes this.
  16. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

DejaMoi likes this.
  17. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Yeah I'm pretty much enamored with this album. I've listened 3 times already today and intend to go back 1-2 more times. I'm just so happy and so proud to have a safe camp on my leg.

18. Colin Your Enthusiasm

teebs41 likes this.
  19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It's v good but I have trouble getting into it. Lyrics are good, melodies are tight, instrumentation is interesting. But I have trouble getting into it ha

Gooddayz likes this.
  20. Gooddayz

always and forever

Whlep. I really enjoyed that on first listen. The groove on Premonition had my mouth water, crap Steve kills it. Tunnel Vision gave me major feels and the guitar work on Stay was amazing.

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  21. Gooddayz

always and forever

I think this was mentioned earlier but do the guitars on Tunnel Vision remind anyone of the intro to My Only Friend a bit?

teebs41 likes this.
  22. sukottokairu

Regular

i watched some live videos last night and noticed he is using his newly mastered tone on the high notes of some of the older songs. it kinda blew me away when watching him do "in fear and faith" and "fever dreams" with that voice, it's incredible that he can hit the notes so beautifully live, and it gave me a new appreciation of how he sings on this album

that's actually how i felt about circa survive for quite a while. i always thought juturna and on letting go were kind of... boring, when i first heard them. i've always loved anthony's voice but you really have to dissect some of the more chaotic songs to hear whats really going on, and it's a lot more interesting than it may seem at first if it's all blending together. their sound is very psychedelic at times, and it's pretty cool to get lost in the songs. i'd say they nailed that vibe again for the amulet, which is really cool! if you are looking for something more immediate though to get it to "click" though, Blue Sky Noise was the album that did that for me, and it really made me go back and appreciate the first two albums a lot more.

beachdude42 and DejaMoi like this.
  23. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Sounds like a National album to me

teebs41 likes this.
  24. lightning Sep 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 22, 2017)
    lightning

Fantastic. Love it a lot better than the previous record. I'm only halfway through as I say this, but still, haha.

"premonition of the hex" and "at night it gets worse" stand out quite a bit atm. looking forward to finishing.

holy shit the second half is ridiculous and >>>>>>>> first half. damn.

Cameron likes this.
  25. Colin Your Enthusiasm

Great post thanks. And it's funny that you mention Blue Sky Noise because that's my favorite Circa Record. I definitely don't dislike the new one. I've only heard it once tho so obviously need more time with it. I think a listen through their entire discography is in order soon for me. I'm actually quite stoked to be seeing them on the Thrice tour. The only time I've seen Circa was at Riot Fest Toronto but barely caught any of their set unfortunately like the last 2 songs. I remember they did Get Out (one of my favorite Circa songs). Anyways yeah it's interesting I love Anthony's voice and as a person so I really want to like this band more. Not that I don't but you get what I mean.