Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Circa Survive - The Amulet (September 22, 2017) Album • Page 152

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Whhhhhhhhat!?

2. atlas

Trusted

I mean, Chino's live struggles are fairly well documented and he's not getting any younger. But with studio magic it would probably be pretty cool lol

teebs41 likes this.
  3. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

K

buddy

Chino in the studio is the studio magic.

4. atlas

Trusted

fair

teebs41 likes this.
  5. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’ve seen Deftones live, and they go off. Didn’t hear any issues with Chino when I saw them.

stars143, beachdude and teebs41 like this.
  6. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

The main riff in Stay is silly good

Ken, beachdude, socklord and 2 others like this.
  7. socklord

Trusted

Both b-sides should have made the album instead of Rites and The Hex

8. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I could lose rites. Just doesn’t work for me.
    Love HEX.

I do think they could have fit them in regardless.
    Dark pools is soooo dank.

kelseyduffy likes this.
  9. musicfan10

Trusted

Hex sucks and rites sucks

Amulet best song ever

Living together is a straight up jam

disambigujason likes this.
  10. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Rites of Investiture is a good song. Only part of this record I’m not huge on is beginning of Premonition of the Hex.

beachdude likes this.
  11. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Ya’ll crazy. Hex and Rites are dope. The whole album is great.

12. There is not one single lackluster song on this entire record, b-sides included

13. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

What the hell is going on here. Rites and Hex are both fantastic.

Cameron, beachdude, Philll and 6 others like this.
  14. Also I went to Esao’s art display in Mesa, AZ today. Circa was going to do a stripped down set similar to the ones they did for the VIP packages from last year, but literally right as they got themselves plugged in and situated the entire city of Mesa’s power went out. Wild timing. Anthony played a short acoustic set in the dark with everybody’s phone flashes on and voices singing along, surrounded by all of Circa’s original artwork. It was fucking magical

15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The musicianship, drumming especially, on The Hex, is some of the best on the album.

16. socklord

Trusted

I think they're both good songs, but they've always been my least favorites. Rites has always felt so out of place to me and The Hex has never grabbed me like the other songs on the album have. And as a drummer, I've never been impressed much by The Hex, especially considering that Steve kills it on a lot of other songs on the album.

17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The second half of Rites is really fucking good. It’s not that the drumming is super advanced on The Hex or anything, but the part he plays just flows so well and feels so seamless. I love it.

18. socklord

Trusted

I mean, Rites is cool and all, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb to me on this album. Reminds me of something that would fit in much more on BSN, VW, or Descensus.

As for The Hex, the drumming doesn't have to be advanced to be impressive and that's certainly never how I perceive drumming. Steve just does his job and serves the song well, which is totally fine and I get where you're coming from about it flowing well. I happen to feel that way about Flesh And Bone. Nothing fancy to it at all, but it just works. It's the sign of a great drummer connecting with a great band. Being able to serve the song before yourself is super important.

Your Milkshake and Ken like this.
  19. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I get where you’re coming from too. I just love the whole album to an extreme haha

beachdude and socklord like this.
  20. socklord

Trusted

It's a really great album and I've grown to appreciate it even more over time. Don't get me wrong, I definitely like Rites and The Hex. It just speaks volumes about how good this era of the band was that Dark Pools and Indra's Net were b-sides and are just as strong as most of the songs on the album.

beachdude and Ken like this.
  21. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Yeah those songs are definitely great as well. Can’t wait to see what they do next.

beachdude and socklord like this.
  22. socklord

Trusted

We're truly unworthy

beachdude and Ken like this.
  23. kelseyduffy

obliterate all prior things

the best part of this band is how differently everyone reads them.

at this point i'm not as big into indra's net. I feel like every member has a cool part and anthony really goes off at the end but it sort of feels like an unfinished song that might've needed some more time in the oven. indra's net is the weakest song from the amulet sessions for me, but the hex has got to be one of the strongest. the main riff is so delicious. rites is fine but it's totally a descensus leftover. lyrically its great but sonically i think anthony suffers quite a bit. his growling sounds pretty flat like many songs on Along the Shadow.

Ken and Bryan Diem like this.
  24. Bryan Diem

Trusted

It's cool I liked this so much when it came out, but I cooled way off on it over time. Still great but not my favorite of theirs

25. Philll

Trusted

I've said it before but the bridge of Rites is one of the best moments on the album.

If I had to lose one song here it would be Stay, but actually I wouldn't change a thing, album rules front to back.