Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Circa Survive – “Rites of Investiture” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

[​IMG]

3. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I dig it.

4. Guilherme Brandao

Regular

that bass tone, wow.
    I'm interested on this album. 2/2

5. Bryan Diem

Trusted

didn't really love it but still good

6. 0/2 for me. Both of these songs have long stretches of uninteresting parts. The melodies and lyrics especially do nothing for me. That bass tone at the beginning was nice and dirty but then the ultra clean drums come in and sap off all the energy.

Can someone explain what I'm missing? I've heard way more interesting prog/post-hardcore than this, and a lot of it from this band.

7. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Sounds like it could've been on that last saosin album

j0hnnyrt likes this.
  8. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Dig the heaviness of that track but those lyrics really don't do much for me at all.

9. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I can't decide what I think of these new tracks.

noeljames likes this.
  10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I feel like this band peaked with Blue Sky Noise, personally.

Yellowcard2006, DejaMoi and BigMouth like this.
  11. They had so much focus on that record that they've never achieved anywhere else. I get that a lot of CS fans are turned off by the more pop songwriting on it, but no part of that record feels inessential. Most of this new stuff feels like it could have been left on the cutting room floor.

Sorry to preach to the choir; the point is that I agree.

12. Bryan Diem

Trusted

On closer listen, it seems that this song got kinda Will Yip'd and it's really sad. The dude knows how to suck the life out of a song, which is weird because he did good work on their last record

13. Bryan Diem

Trusted

bsn is definitely missing the mojo their other records have in place of the pop.

14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I agree with everything here. Also, I would like to be shown a song (post BSN) as good as "Frozen Creek". Just saying.

BigMouth likes this.
  15. I completely disagree. The band has a swagger on BSN that's just as powerful as it is on their other records, if not more so. "Imaginary Enemy" and "Get Out" are perfect examples of that.

Beyond that, "mojo" is a completely subjective concept and we may be talking past each other here.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  16. I love that you can say something like "Will Yip'd" and I know exactly what you mean :crylaugh:

Bryan Diem and mattylikesfilms like this.
  17. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Jesus... literally ALL OF THEM are better.... >-p

18. Bryan Diem Aug 10, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 10, 2017)
    Bryan Diem

Trusted

Keep You is the only record he didn't kill, he fit that sound perfectly. But even the album he did with mwY sounds like a shell of what it should be.

edit: I exaggerated and forgot he made the new Menzingers record too which sounds great. also I liked the Whirr album he did tbh

19. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Just carrying on from my post earlier;

I feel like Will Yip tried to go for a "lush" sound with all of this but it sucked all the life out of the recording and the vocals seem buried or something. I can't quite explain it.

Edit: I know Will Yip's production divides lots of people, but this is the first time I've personally experienced the downfalls of Will Yip's producing habits. Maybe because Circa Survive are one of my favourite bands.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  20. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Any sort or distorted guitar part just sounds off in a way I can't describe. I don't know specifically what it is but I can tell it's that Yip thing that hurts it.

21. Iamhollywood315

Regular

weird video, not a fan of the chord progressions, streaming quality or my headphones suck. meh. i may have to revisit this at another time...

j0hnnyrt likes this.
  22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Hahaha whaaaaa!!

Dude Frozen Creek is GOAT. Feels for days man.

Jared Luttrell and js977 like this.
  23. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Maybe the worst circa song other than imaginary enemy, it DEFINITELY doesn't have the mojo

24. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I'm flabbergasted and have no words.

I'll still give you a virtual fist bump none the less.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  25. rxbandit89 Aug 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 11, 2017)
    rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I feel the same way about this as I do pretty much the entire CS discography: I'm interested for the first half of a song, and then the song doesn't really go anywhere for me. Repeat for almost every track of the album....except for BSN.

I've thought that maybe it's just that Anthony's voice signals those massive crescendos from TTN to me, and I never get them? I dunno. I have always wanted to like this band much more than I do.

DejaMoi likes this.