Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cincinnati-Dayton Area Thread Location • Page 3

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Apr 6, 2016.

1. buttsfamtbh likes this.
  2. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

Man, I miss Dayton and I never thought I'd say that.

ianebaldwin likes this.
  3. What do you miss most?

4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Gonna be in Cinci all of next week for a work training. What should I do/eat/see?

Cody likes this.
  5. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

i'm a tourist but imo cincy is one of the best cities we've got in this nation and a top 5 for me ... you're in for a great time. personally a sucker for skyline chili. blue jay is your greasy spoon diner. get some guetta there (a regional lowbrow meat akin to scrapple/spam/pork roll). motr is a sick ass bar, northside tavern as well. the music scene there is tbh an embarrassment of riches. catch a show from any of: the mimes/corker/leggy/strobobean (got a full list of good bands and can dm you if you want) at either of those aforementioned bars. Findlay Market is fucking cool. Urban Artifact is a really unique brewery. get coffee at Collective Espresso or BLOC.

have fun!

theagentcoma and JRGComedy like this.
  6. I just recently moved here, so I don’t have the most recs but there are few cool places I’ve found already, in addition to Cody’s recs.

- Eden Park has some hiking trails and some beautiful overlooks of the city and ohio river. It’s also where the art museum is.
    - Shake-It Records, a great local record shop in a cool neighborhood (Northside).
    - Rhinegheist is a solid brewery with a very nice taproom. Streetside, Nine Giant, and Braxton are other good breweries.
    - Mikey’s Late Night Slice has fantastic, by the slice pizza and is a good late night hang.
    - The Overlook Lodge is a bar themed after The Shining. Only been during a pop up they had for Christmas and that was Christmas-themed so I’m not sure what it’s like normally.
    - The Pitch is a soccer-focused bar if you’re into that.

If you won’t have a car, I’d probably stick to the OTR area. It’s very walkable and full of bars, breweries, and restaurants. Northside is also walkable but is smaller and kinda secluded.

I can’t speak for it myself as I’m vegan, but Biden just ate at a local BBQ place, Q’in, today (lol) if that’s your thing. Locals seem to like it. It’s in the Walnut Hills neighborhood which also has a couple of cool cocktail bars, Tiki Tiki Bang Bang and Comfort Station.

(Apologies if you don’t drink. Like I mentioned, I just moved here a few weeks ago and haven’t had too much time to explore, especially in regards to outdoor stuff.)

7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Damn wish I could visit. I only went for 1.5 days way back in 2010 for spring break. Yep, we went to Cincy for spring break, or at least part of it lol

JRGComedy likes this.
  8. Also, find yourself a bag of Grippos Bar-B-Q Chips aka the best barbecue chips in the world.

Importer/Exporter and JRGComedy like this.
  9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I had a wonderful time in Cincinnati, thank you for all of your recs!

Owlex and theagentcoma like this.
  10. buttsfamtbh

Trusted

if you're ever in cinci again and you like record stores, go to everybody's in pleasant ridge. metal jason is the man and he knows his shit.

11. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I love record stores! My Cincinnati contact actually knows him and loves that store, but we didn't make it up this visit. I do plan on going back though, I had a great time!

theagentcoma and buttsfamtbh like this.
  12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I went to Cincinnati for a few days and had one of the best sandwhich of my life from Kruegers. Grilled chicken club. That was like 5 years ago and I still think about that sandwhich.

13. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

So I’m in Chicago but originally from Cinci, and the band I’m in wants to come down there and play a show in April. Historically we’ve played at MOTR/Northside Tavern/The Hub etc. but we were looking to maybe do a DIY gig somewhere. Anyone got any suggestions for less traditional venues? A lot of the places I was going to 5-10 years ago don’t seem to be around anymore lol

14. Importer/Exporter

I lived in Dayton for three years and honestly it’s my sleeper pick for best Ohio city lol i feel like it’s got so much character

15. buttsfamtbh

Trusted

southgate house or thompson house in newport, madison theatre/madison live in covington, riverfront live. it's been years since i've played around town so a lot of the places we used to gig at are gone which sucks.

Importer/Exporter likes this.
  16. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Lil update on this! While I was in Cincy in January, I hopped on Hinge to get some more recs and ended up spending three of my evenings with a gal who showed me around. Fast forward to now and I've just come back from a weeklong visit where we said we loved each other, so I am likely moving to the area in the early fall!

That said, where should I live? She lives in Anderson which I know is a little out of the way, but I'd like to be within a 10-20 minute drive from her. I'm also coming from Montana and haven't lived in a city since 2020, so I'm not really looking to be in the middle of the action, but more a short drive away from the action.

Michael Schmidt and theagentcoma like this.
  17. buttsfamtbh

Trusted

oakley

JRGComedy and Importer/Exporter like this.
  18. Importer/Exporter May 27, 2023
    (Last edited: May 27, 2023)
    Importer/Exporter

Congrats, what a cute story! I’ve been in Chicago for the past 4 years, so maybe Im a little outdated in my advice, but I’ll give it a shot. Usually for Cinci neighborhoods that have stuff going on but aren’t as busy as Over the Rhine, i recommend Northside or East Walnut Hills. Oakley is on the east side too and is pretty and quiet but has some coffee and bars and stuff. Same with Mt Lookout. Eden Park is really pretty too, but all residential - although close enough to fun things. All of those are likely within 10-25 minutes of where she stays, Northside being the furthest out.

For the just-outside-of-Cinci spots, I’d say look at northern kentucky (Covington/Newport/Dayton) or maybe old Milford. Pleasant Ridge might be a little north, but it’s cute too and has Everybody’s Records.

JRGComedy likes this.
  19. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Covington was so cool. We went to HAIL and Earth to Kentucky and then got some gelato nearby and it rocked my socks off.

buttsfamtbh likes this.
  20. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Go to wherever the nearest skyline is

Chcurry182 and JRGComedy like this.
  21. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Haha I am becoming part of a Skyline family and no one will go with me to Gold Star just to compare!

theagentcoma likes this.
  22. buttsfamtbh

Trusted

hail is such a cool little store. there are also a lot of cool coffee joints and restaurants in covington too.

JRGComedy likes this.
  23. Chcurry182

Trusted Supporter

24. buttsfamtbh

Trusted

yeah avoid downtown like the plague this weekend if you aren't going to taylor swift. my ass is staying home

SuddenUrgeJoey and JRGComedy like this.
  25. Chcurry182

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I feel for all my friends (and everyone really) that works in the service industry this weekend.

SuddenUrgeJoey and buttsfamtbh like this.