Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cigarettes After Sex - S/T (June 9, 2017) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Apr 29, 2017.

1. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

[​IMG]

This band is so good. honestly surprised there wasn't a thread. debut LP should be killer.

CarpetElf likes this.
  2. Collins

Trusted

the lack of a thread was a shame. Everything they've put out so far is good.

the REO Speedwagon cover, K, and Affection are my favorites

3. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Fuck yes. I've been wondering about a full length for a while

4. bedwettingcosmo

i didn't know that was a cover haha. song is beautiful.

5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I've hesitated on getting into them for so long just because they have so little out but every time I hear about them, people seem to gush a bit. Maybe this album will be what pushes me

6. Collins

Trusted

I love how their music is so easy to get lost in and just sort of drift off with if that makes sense. The lush guitar tones mixed in with his voice is something special

7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Tangential but their band name is v interesting to me in that it should come across as super edgy and hard and what not but paired with their artwork and such, it mostly just comes off as evocative and impressionistic

Nick likes this.
  8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

was thinking the same

tbf the band name was the only reason i opened the thread.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Same thing happened to me when I decided to keep reading what they were about on a blog. It's a name that makes you have an opinion p quickly

10. Leftandleaving

This is...not a summertime album, haha

11. bedwettingcosmo

could be for super lazy summers inside :D

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  12. bedwettingcosmo

i know its kinda their niche, but god the lyrics to young and dumb are really cringey to me.

13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Is this out there or just review copies?

14. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Wow this band is incredible. How have I missed out on them?

15. The lyrics mentioned in the P4k review were super cringey but I'm two songs in and this sounds so good

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  16. Leftandleaving

The lyrics are extremely hit or miss. Some good stuff, but the bad ones are some of the worst I've heard in a long long time haha. Glad yr enjoying this tho, I really love this band

Aaron Mook likes this.
  17. Aaron Mook Jun 10, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 10, 2017)
    Hah, it fills my need for new slowcore. The instrumentals on this remind me of Red House Painters

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  18. bedwettingcosmo

the lyrics on the last song are what really turn me off. makes me kinda hate it

Aaron Mook likes this.
  19. Yeah, have you ever heard a lyric so bad that it ruins an entire album for you? Because the "patron saint of sucking cock" line might just do it for me. Blech. Last song, too. Almost makes me just want to delete that track.

Zac Djamoos and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  20. bedwettingcosmo

seriously dude, the album was so chill and then i got there and i was like WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING

Aaron Mook and Zac Djamoos like this.
  21. Leftandleaving

Yeah that's one of the worst lyrics I think I've ever heard. Totally took me out of the song

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. i literally can't stop asking myself why anyone would think that was a good idea

23. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

i love their music sonically and on the EP's the kind of naivety, boyish sexual interaction lyrics seemed part of its charm but some of these lyrics are too much on this. i feel like this is like a film noir movie with cinematic melodies with too much unexplained sex scenes without aiding to the plot, lyrically. if that makes any sense, im not sure.

"Well I know full well that you are
    The patron saint of sucking cock
    SeƱorita, you're a cheater
    Well, so am I"

hmmm okay, well i dont have problems with sexually charged lyrics as i listen to quite a bit of music that is. its not like good surprising juxtaposition like in affection he says "well you can go fuck yourself" its more like WTF DID HE JUST SAY?!??!?!?! where it takes one out of the song too much. anyways, my consensus. i like it. i do. i hope he outgrows some of the writing choices in the future really. think they're playing a show in September here, probably will catch them.

Aaron Mook and Zac Djamoos like this.
  24. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

This album is AOTY material. Agree about those cringeworthy lyrics though!

25. bedwettingcosmo

well glad im not the only person who felt awkward about it. really only listening to big thief and tigers jaw atm but i'm sure this will get its day in the sun